1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey threw MDA his ultimate bone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BaselineFade, Feb 21, 2020.

1. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

As I rewatched our games since the since the Covington trade, something dawned on me. I believe that while the Covington trade helped Russ the most, it also was a potential parting gift for D'Antoni.

If this is MDA's final season with the Rockets, i believe that Morey wanted to give him one final chance to see his ultimate vision come true. That he could win it all without playing a tradition center. As most of you know it's seems to be MDA's greatest regret (professionally) of his life. He still talks about in interviews. The Suns not doubling down on "small ball" and signing Shaq obviously still haunts him.

Morey seems to be very fond of MDA. They share the same vision and seem to have a good relationship. Morey had to do this not just for Russ but for MDA as well.

MDA has done A LOT for the game of basketball over the past couple of decades. Morey giving him a chance to go out his way is the right move. Give the old man one final chance to see his vision all the way through. I want this for MDA as well. I'll be rooting for this team like mad man come playoff time.

2. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt Morey is motivated by pleasing MDA as much as he is motivated by building the best team possible

Fawkward, Remlap, ico4498 and 25 others like this.
  3. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe. Just a gut feeling. Im not saying that it's on the exact same scale, but I think it was a contributing factor.

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not sure if this was parting gift. For one do not think MDA going anywhere.

Tilly would look like a pure ass by letting MDA go after he promised everyone multiple times that he would be re-signed.

And 2nd, this 5 out system is looking like the most dominant offense in the league and perfect for both Harden and Russ.

Tilly and Morey doubled, nay tripled down, on MDA but not just for this season but the remainder of Harden and Russ time with Rockets.

That is both a financial and personnel investment, and not just for this season but for the future of Houston Rockets.

3rd, this system is not an extension of 7 seconds or less offense, it is a true evolution.

PF to Center, SF to PF, etc. is old thinking. Rockets are essentially playing 3 positionless forwards around James and Russ.

The next evolution would be 5 players that can create, switch everything, shoot 3ball, rebound and rim protect.

And all 5 would be 6'8 or bigger.

Mazulis, Remlap, randerson and 12 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

Dig the title. The Ultimate Bone.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Credit to Morey for not kneecapping lame duck coaches.

Mazulis, Remlap, BMoney and 6 others like this.
  7. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

I hope they keep him but Tilman makes me nervous.

The next evolution that you mention won't be easy to get to. 5 players 6'8 and over with that skill set would ridiculous but also very expensive. Finding a true creator/playmaker over 6'8 may be the hardest to find. We may be at least another 10-20 years away from that.

D-rock and clutchdabear like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Trade Injury Prone Eric Gordon - Free Up Salary Cap - Resign Mike DAntoni

9. tburris872

tburris872 Member

The Rockets can defend the kikes of Kawhi Leonard and Lebron James, with waves of defenders (PJ Tucker, Robert Covington, Jeff Green Demarre Carroll, Eddie House and Thabo Sefolosha) always keeping a fresh body on them and spreading the fouls out in a grueling 7 game series.

10. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Your posts in the GARM are spot on. I can't fault you on this.

11. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Do you really think MDA is that bad? Ahh common. Give him a chance with this lineup. I think he could orchestrate some of his best games in the coming months.

Mazulis, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  12. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

“Lame Duck” means it is his potential final year and his future is uncertain, comrade. It has almost nothing to do with him being good or bad specifically.

13. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

DM is a rational guy, kinda tech nerd. dunt think are ready to quit like this or do somebody a favor at cost of his job.
    but w/o question, Morey do respect MDA and believe in his b-ball theory.

P.S. WE NEED A CENTER! even a poor man's Amar'e Stoudemire! it's FOR A RAINY DAY!

#13 DeBeards, Feb 21, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    D-rock, kjayp and BaselineFade like this.
  14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I'm rooting for all things Rockets. MDA is an innovator even though I disagree with some of his methods. MDA is not bad at all.

kjayp, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Actually a scoring Boris Diaw in the post would be great. Could do it all.

16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

100% agreed
    but it's hard to find one:(. Diaw are sooooooo smart and so versatile, handling ball well, luv playing pick n roll, good at 3s, fearless in paint etc. most important of all, a great flopper!!!!
    [​IMG]

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I bet that is the OG Ronaldo pointing at Lisa, the younger CR7 is a more proficient flopper.

D-rock and BaselineFade like this.
  18. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

WOW, u even a soccer fan...
    yeah, looks like

D-rock, BaselineFade and daywalker02 like this.
  19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just don't be rooting for this team like basketMAD, man . . . that would be so disappointing ;)

20. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

IMO, there will be more and more such players coming in NBA. Since Magic Johnson, we haven't had one for ages, then LeBron comes along, and now Simmons and Luka. Iggy was a pretty solid playmaker in his prime too, as was Durant, but neither was a nominal PG for his team like Simmons and Luka are.

Tall players have been learning PG skills from young age for some time now, so it will be easier to find them in near future.

daywalker02, D-rock and BaselineFade like this.