1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ready The Clown Car: The First Batch of Democrats Are Ready To Announce Their 2020 Bids

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jan 1, 2019.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

The nerve of that guy saying some were good people. If some were good then some are bad. I don’t get the outrage other than a talking point to try and see something that’s not there.

#2641 mick fry, Feb 17, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
    cml750 likes this.
  2. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

“They’re murderers, they’re rapists..and some, I assume, are good people.” It’s probably tenth on the hundred dumbest things he’s said, but you can’t argue someone else is being disingenuous if you don’t even know one of the most infamous quotes of Trump’s presidency. We all know it’s political fearmongering, a tactic used by both sides, the difference is that trump couches his propaganda in the form of xenophobia (particularly acidic if you ask me)

baller4life315 likes this.
  3. mick fry

mick fry Member

He was referring to people crossing the border illegally not “Mexicans” but of course the left took it and ran with it just like the shithole countries comment. The fact is there were rapists and there were murderers.

Corrosion likes this.
  4. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Hey @mick fry I’m not trying to persuade you to vote blue any more than you’re trying to convince me to vote trump. We both know his base thinks they’re all a bunch of crooks and you can spot them by skin color...we can get into a war of semantics but you know the truth. Trump is good at speaking to his base and you know exactly what I mean by that

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Yeah I know what you meant, pretty racist if you ask me.

cml750 likes this.
  6. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Glad we agree that Trump was advancing his wall based on racism, yes

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Especially when his very first speech running for president literally said that most people that come from Mexico are rapists and only some are maybe good people.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Hold on to your hats people. The latest polls for the Nevada caucuses are in. Yesterday, the RCP poll average for Nevada showed Sanders over Biden by 3 points. Today, it is Sanders over Biden by 14 points.

RCP Poll Average - Nevada
    30.0 - Sanders
    16.0 - Biden
    14.5 - Warren
    12.5 - Buttigieg
    10.5 - Steyer
    09.5 - Klobuchar

This increase is due to a 8.5 point increase by Sanders and a 2.5 point decrease by Biden.

All four of the other candidates are up between 1-3 points. The only other candidate who is still on the map is Gabbard and she got effectively zero. Obviously, this has a lot to do with the other candidates falling out of the race.

But Biden is the only candidate whose support got lower.

The one thing I am certain of is that the final results on Saturday will not exactly match this polling. That being said, 14 points? Wow. That is a pretty strong lead. Also, this is the first time I can recall seeing Sanders hit the 30% mark.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Which color?

jiggyfly likes this.
  10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Mike Bloomberg has qualified for Wednesday's debate in advance of the Nevada caucuses. However he will not be on the ballot in that state.

At the same time, Bloomberg is in second place behind Sanders in one national poll. However, in the RCP poll average, Bloomberg is still in third place, 3.2 points behind Joe Biden.

Mike Bloomberg qualifies for Las Vegas debate, trails only Sanders in recent poll

Former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg has qualified to participate in his first Democratic presidential debate, after an NPR/PBS/NewsHour/Marist poll released Tuesday found him in second place behind Sen. Bernie Sanders.

That national poll found Sanders leading the pack as the choice of 31% of Democratic voters, and independent voters who lean Democratic, giving the senator from Vermont a 12 percentage point advantage over Bloomberg, who came in second at 19%. Former Vice President Joe Biden, whose drop in recent polling has accompanied Bloomberg's rise, was third at 15%.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts was fourth at 12%, followed by Sen. Amy Klobuchar of Minnesota (9%), and former South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg (8%). The rest of the Democratic hopefuls came in at 2% or less.

It was the fourth national poll to find Bloomberg with 10% or more support, making him eligible to make his Democratic debate debut Wednesday in Las Vegas. Joining the billionaire media mogul on the stage will be Sanders, Biden, Warren, Klobuchar and Buttigieg.​

What is especially interesting about this is that it is almost entirely the result of $400 million of TV advertising. Never in our nation's history have we had someone so openly try to by a nomination as what we are seeing Mike Bloomberg do. What is also interesting is seeing how susceptible these people who are now registering as his support are to this kind of presentation.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I really don't see Bernie ever getting much beyond that 30% mark. Everyone else thinks he's too far left.

MojoMan likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Seems like a dangerous assumption.

He got 43% of the popular vote in 2016.

He seems more popular now than he was then.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

This is the real problem for Sanders. He may be the clear leader in this contest, but the winner is the one who first accumulates over 50% of the delegates, which of course includes super-delegates (about 15% of the total).

30% is not going to be enough. Of course, nobody else is even getting that much right now, so this thing really is still wide open to the first person who can rally 50%+1 delegate support.

Corrosion and jiggyfly like this.
  14. cml750

cml750 Member

Don't discount some right leaning people voting for Sanders in the primaries to help him get the nomination only to vote for Trump come November. There is already a movement in South Carolina. I know several who are planning on doing the same here in Texas. I am considering doing this myself but I doubt I can make myself follow through with it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/13/politics/south-carolina-democratic-primary-gop-movement/index.html
    https://operationchaos2020.com/

MojoMan likes this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bernie nationally polling the highest of his entire campaign (24+%), with by far the biggest lead of his campaign (7+%). Nevada is looking good for him, super Tuesday is looking good for him (538 has him winning every state outside of Alabama-Biden, and Minny-Klobuchar).

538 has Bernie with the highest % to win the nomination, 28% higher than the 2nd highest candidate in Biden, and the highest % to win the majority of delegates, 36% higher than the 2nd highest candidate in Biden.

MojoMan likes this.
  16. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

lol...the Trump effect...not surprised by the lack of integrity.

ROCKSS likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Trump supporters openly saying they love Sanders is an attempt to troll the mainstream media. Please don't fall for it. If their plan is to convince the DNC to chose Sanders because they believe he's the easiest candidate to win against, why would they OPENLY root for him? Think about it. What is one thing you can do to make sure a DNC voter is not going to like something? Say that Trump supports it. Why would Trump and his supporters openly want to root for Bernie? Wouldn't that just make most DNC primary voters be fearful of Bernie that Trump likes him?

With Trump's speeches and tweets it's very obvious that he's rooting for Bernie. Like VERY obvious. Almost as if he wants Democrat voters to not like Bernie.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How does he seem more popular?

He has not cracked 30% in either Iowa or NH and he just broke 30% in the latest national poll.

What metrics are you using?

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you read the article?

Nobody is claiming they love Sanders they are actively trying to get him the nomination.

Keep up.

#2659 jiggyfly, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
    cml750 and MojoMan like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Let's use his support over the next highest polling candidate. Bernie never surpassed Hillary on national polling averages in 2016, he never had a lead. He now has a 7% lead.

Bernie is the clear front runner right now, something he has never been before.