1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade deadline before and after

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by topfive, Feb 18, 2020.

1. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just looking at this year's personnel (not draft picks or the future), in the last couple of weeks we've exchanged:

Clint Capela
    Nene
    Gerald Green

for

Robert Covington
    Bruno Caboclo
    Demarre Carroll
    Jeff Green

Considering that Nene and Gerald almost certainly wouldn't have seen any meaningful court time for us this year, we essentially swapped Capela for the other four.

Not the greatest trade deadline maneuvering ever, but considering the constraints Morey is working with regarding the luxury tax, I'm pretty happy with what we ended up with. Covington has already proved to be much better for this team than I could have imagined. Let's hope the incoming guys find some new life here. I'm ready to get back to the games and see just what we've got.

#1 topfive, Feb 18, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2020
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

:eek: Caboclo :eek:

mockster, D-rock and topfive like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

D'OH!!!! :confused:

Even better. Fixing the post now.

D-rock and heypartner like this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Good thing it wasn’t Jordan Bell you left out; Clutch might have squelched you for a day.

D-rock likes this.
  5. topfive

topfive CF OG

Thought about including him, but since he never put on the jersey, that makes him as much of a Rocket as Derek Fisher. :D

D-rock likes this.
  6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Clint Capela
    Nene
    Gerald Green

+ our FRP

fattz, DeBeards, Sajan and 3 others like this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

"Just looking at this year's personnel (not draft picks or the future)"

The FRP is important, obviously, but that's a discussion for the "WTF happened to our future?" thread.

D-rock, pippendagimp and heypartner like this.
  8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

by adding these solid wings, w/o question its a catch-22 for opps double-teamed JH or russ…

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Trade deadline move and buyout market are linked but are separate entities.

Arguably did better at the buyout market.

It is hard to compare Covington to Capela as Covington is the better fit with WB.

Capela posted better stats.

DeBeards, FrontRunner and topfive like this.
  10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Weak draft though... And Morey loves the second round.

Not sweating over the 2020 pick.

hakeem94, D-rock, hieuytran and 2 others like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Exactly. As long as we have a healthy Harden and Westbrook, all those 1st-rounders will be in the 24-30 range. And Morey also knows that if the Thunder use all those #1s they're stockpiling to draft young guys, those two swap years will be meaningless because they'll have better 1st-round picks than us anyway. Even swapping that 2025 pick will likely move them up a few spots at best. If we throw in the towel and start a ground-up rebuild before then, we should have some new 1st rounders to work with.

#11 topfive, Feb 18, 2020
    RudyTBag, D-rock and hieuytran like this.
  12. meh

meh Contributing Member

Realistically, Carroll and Green are more likely to produce closer to Joe Johnson levels than Austin Rivers levels. Unlikely either sticks in the rotation when everyone's healthy and mostly just depth pieces with little (but not zero) upside.

Morey could've gotten us players who are better at the trade deadline but obviously work hard to upgrade when you also have to cut salary. These are the best options available but unless we can get someone of Tristan Thompson caliber, it's probably not gonna move the needle at all.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

getting someone of Tristan Thompson caliber wouldn't even move the needle, cause they wouldn't even be playing at all

getting depth with playable guys that fit exactly what you're trying to do, has a much better chance at moving the needle regardless of how much

#13 YOLO, Feb 18, 2020
    hakeem94, topfive and RudyTBag like this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly . . . . I don't think Morey values draft picks because he feels if need be he can get them later
    By time these guys hit their prime . . .. they might be tired of losing or being in a small town
    While they cannot get to LA or NY
    So you maybe able to sell them on Houston
    (everyone cannot goto Chicago and Miami either)

Rocket River

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly.

We "drafted" Danuel House and Austin Rivers and Ben McLemore the last couple years, and they became instant contributors while costing next to nothing. Thank you NBA for developing them for us! :D If we had a rookie as good as Rivers, Mac or House we would be STOKED. It's not as sexy to sign them to minimum deals after they have bounced around a bit.

Plowman, Pat, hakeem94 and 1 other person like this.
  16. icewill36

icewill36 Member

I was against the trade because I have seen us play some great basketball and win some big games with the roster we had. It looked to me like adding some upgrades to the bench was the real issue. That still may turn out to be the case but only time will tell. For now I do like what I have seen so far and can see the potential for it to be even better.

If James gets back to consistently scoring in an efficient manner and we get a little more consistent from outside giving up a few more two pointers inside isn't going to matter. Its also an exciting brand of basketball. I feel like every game is must see TV. Not that I didn't try to catch every game before but now I really have to see them in action. And now we have few more guys to incorporate so its even more exciting thinking about the possibilities. There is so much more we can add to this offense. I wish we would utilize backdoor lobs more. Defensively they are fun to watch too.

DeBeards, hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You get a rookie that good. . . he will cost more than Mac and House on that second contract

Rocket River

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Thompson is a much better defender in the Rockets system than either Green or Carroll. The Rockets system has both offense and defensive component to it. The side no one talks about is the one we need more help on.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

no he isn't. a big that can be isolated on the perimeter isn't better for what the rockets are doing and couple that with him not being a shooter. it's the same exact problem CC provides and why he isn't here anymore. TT does not fit what the rockets are committed to doing.

people are going to have to get used to for at least the duration of this season non conventional lineups. no matter how much you may want to see a "5" in there. that's just the reality of it

Plowman, DeBeards and hakeem94 like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agree with both of you about Morey not valuing picks or younger talent.

But would still love to develop a few youngsters who fit system. And when I say youngsters I am referring to players with at least 2 years in league and/or under age of 30.

Ditch Tyson, Harty and Clemons and sign:

6'10 Jonah Bolden 7'3 wingspan (24 yrs)
    6'6 Justin Anderson 7'0 wingspan 43" max vert (26 yrs)
    7'0 Dragan Bender 7'2 wingspan (22yrs)
    6'3 Tyler Johnson 6'7 wingspan 42" max vert (28 yrs)

DeBeards likes this.