1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If you don’t call out the Astros then the media is going to attack you. Simple as that.

everyday eddie, phasors28 and SS0101 like this.
  2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Angels killed a player.
    No really, a player died at the hands of one of their employees.
    Dead. Gone.
    Largely forgotten/ignored by the media.

3. Nook

Nook Member

Well you have former player Logan Morrison naming 5 teams that were very active in cheating, and one of the teams he mentioned were the Los Angeles Dodgers.

"As far back as 2015, the Yankees used the video replay room to learn other teams' sign sequences, multiple sources told The Athletic. Other teams likely were doing the same. Sources said the Red Sox began doing it no later than 2016.

"Oftentimes it takes a player to show up and be like 'You f--king morons, you're not doing this?' said one American League executive."

MLB issued fines to Boston and New York in September 2017 for attempting to electronically steal signs.

However, Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times brings about my memory. Indeed, Hernandez says the Dodgers were mentioned as sign-stealers in their own right during the 2018 NLCS when they defeated the Brewers in seven games. Hernandez references The Athletic MLB as the source, and you can see the original story in the tweet below.

[​IMG]
    The Athletic MLB

✔@TheAthleticMLB

There’s a theme developing this October. @ByRobertMurray reports that some in the Brewers organization suspect the Dodgers are stealing their signs: https://theathletic.com/599226/2018/10/18/something-looks-a-little-bit-off-in-a-postseason-of-paranoia-some-brewers-suspect-the-dodgers-are-stealing-signs/ …

[​IMG]
    ‘Something looks a little bit off’: In a postseason of...
    Some in the Brewers organization, like other teams in these playoffs, are suspicious that their signs are being decoded, either by traditional means or more nefarious methods.

9:31 PM - Oct 18, 2018

Next is the part of the story that Hernandez references, which I had forgotten.

Some unnamed members of the Milwaukee Brewers told the Athletic during the 2018 National League Championship Series that they were concerned the Dodgers were using video to steal their signs. Members of the New York Mets said in May that they suspected Dodgers hitters knew what was coming in their four-game series they played in Los Angeles.

So you have a very recently retired player stating that the Dodgers were cheating (along with the Astros/Yankees/Red Sox). You have players and coaches saying the Dodgers were cheating in 2018 and you have the Mets making the same claim.

You also have the commissioner stating that the Red Sox were stealing signs in 2017.

That doesn't even get into David Price and the substance on his collar that was caught on video.

The Dodgers traded for two cheaters in Price and Betts as well.

I worked right by professional baseball players for years........ and saw many, many things.... cheating of all types were rampant and the teams and the commissioner looked the other way. The only reason the Astros issues came to a head was having a former player speak out.

Also if I can think long enough I will come up with more Dodgers related examples.... for example I just though of Noah Syndergaard accusing the Dodgers of cheating last year or the year before last.

There is a reason that John Smoltz came out right after the Bellinger comments and said some of these teams need to make sure they are clean before going on out against the Astros.

4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Too bad manfred wont go after the dodgers though.

everyday eddie and mikol13 like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

The Angels killed a player.

The Dodgers have a woman beater on their roster..... they recently traded for two cheaters.... the Dodgers were one of the absolute worst franchises when it came to the steroid era. Former Dodgers estimate 80% of the team was using HGH or steroids. Orel Hershiser complained about the Astros cheating, but no one in the media asked him why he had ZERO problem cheating when he was a player but now is on his high horse.

Hell the Dodgers are one of the worst cheating franchises in baseball history........ Hershiser, Preacher Roe, Art Fowler, Jay Howell, Tommy John, Don Sutton

The Yankees have employed the top cheater in the Astros scandal for 5 of the last 7 seasons..... The Yankees signed a cheater off the Astros...... Whitey Ford cheated for decades.

Hell in the case of Hershiser his own teammate said: "Yeah Orel cheats, all the players do."

6. SS0101

SS0101 Member

In fact, the dodgers have made it a point to trade for cheaters. See...Manny Ramirez... who was suspected and indeed tested positive after the Dodgers traded for him. And then tested positive a second time as he basically bounced around and exited the league.

Rock Block, everyday eddie and Nook like this.
  7. adoo

adoo Member

ur publicizing the fact that ur confused.

not able to differentiate
    • Dodgers' stealing signs in the field of play (Machado on base peeking into the catcher's sign) vs.
    • Astros using electronic devise to steal signs
    my advise to u is to learn baseball, learn to differentiate the 2

8. UrbanEnterprise

except teams in the World Series change up their signs making it hard to actually steal

everyday eddie likes this.
  9. adoo

adoo Member

Nook's SOP, when losing a debate,

deflect, deflect and more of it, to divert attention away from the topic of discussion, which is

Astros used electronic devises to steal signs from the opposing team​

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

11. Handles

Handles Member

I think they tried it and it became less effective as more teams suspected them, which is one reason why they eventually stopped cheating (in addition to Beltran and Cora leaving the org). In the World Series teams are changing their sign sequencing - do you not remember all the stoppages in play for the pitchers and catchers to talk? On both sides.

Kershaw has never been a strong playoff performer. He's been memed about before and after facing the Astros. It's not so crazy to believe he dropped a couple games on the road, with a playoff environment and intensity, mind you. Crazier things have happened in baseball.

You can believe this or not, just want to add some context from around that time. Darvish himself admitted to tipping. Dodgers management was aware of the issue. This was accepted knowledge at that time. You can see their comments in this LA times article:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/dodgers/la-sp-dodgers-winter-meetings-20171212-story.html

I'm not muddying anything I'm just painting a full picture. Nothing is black and white. To separate this into one issue vs the other is futile. You have to consider everything.

Bellinger was one example. He's a great example (0.100-something BA, throwaway error in G7), but he's only one example. I believe Jansen threw a ball away as well which cost a run. Defense wins championships; when it came to crunch time, dodgers messed up. Look at Nationals last year. They had key hits but people overlook their outstanding defense which was a HUGE reason they won. And what Correa said was right. Teams change their signs constantly in the playoffs, especially against us. This isn't like cheating with steroids. Sign stealing can actually be mitigated.

Then when you consider other perspectives that multiple teams were cheating in similar ways (there is smoke around the Dodgers, Yankees, Red Sox, etc.), some people believe the Astros were simply leveling the playing field.

This doesn't excuse anything. While I don't think the Astros deserve this level of outrage, there is no question that the championship is tainted. No denying that. Astros dug their own grave and they have to live with it. I'm just saying I can see where guys like Correa are coming from. If they want to believe the championship was earned, I can understand that POV. There aren't enough people speaking from that POV so that's why I do my best to lay it out here, where people will listen because they want it to be true.

everyday eddie, mikol13 and RayRay10 like this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Nah I'm not differentiating anything.

The Mets and Brewers both believed that the Dodgers were getting them from electronic means.

That also doesn't account for the Red Sox and Yankees getting in trouble in 2017 for electronically stealing signs.... and the Astros faced both in the playoffs.

That also doesn't account for the VERY long history of the Dodgers having cheaters on their roster and that really cannot be contested.

There is a reason why an elder statesman like Smoltz said what he said........ or long time baseball men like Valentine stating that the Astros just happened to be the team caught.

The Dodgers lost the 2017 World Series because their hitters could not beat the Astros pitchers. Other than the one shoot out game....... the Dodgers scored 4 runs at home in games 6 and 7... the 2018 World Series was similar as well.

13. Nook

Nook Member

That is a great idea......... I fully support teams doing that..... when the Astros win 130 games games, they can then whine about the Astros having home field advantage.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

DP

Nook likes this.
  15. adoo

adoo Member

the issue of discussion is

Astros using electronic devises to stealing sign.

stay on topic.

ur repeated efforts to divert attention away from the real issue---attempting to make Bellinger the issue---is weak

16. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

People are losing their damn minds.

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yanks and Sox have been fined for electronic stealing of signs. Dodgers have been accused and have been reported to have multiple cameras dedicated to the stealing of signs.
    You can hide your head in the sand all you want and pretend this is a singular event, that just shows your level of comprehension.

18. Nook

Nook Member

There have been multiple teams and numerous players that have accused the Dodgers of cheating the last few years.

The Dodgers have a very strong history of cheating.

The Dodgers can be upset that the Astros and Red Sox cheated.... but really they should ask why they consistently choke at home in huge playoff games and like John Smoltz said, get their own house in order.

everyday eddie and RayRay10 like this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

stop w the convenient claims

20. adoo

adoo Member

the reason that u can't

• name the teams,
    • be specific w the supposed cheating accusation
    is that ur just ur desperately attempting to divert attention away from the issue of discussion, which is

the Astro used electronic devise to steal signs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.