1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does anyone else wish the Astros would "embrace the hate"?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by backwardhead, Feb 16, 2020.

1. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

To begin, I hate it that we are in this position. That we got caught cheating the way we did and that AJ Hinch had to be the blood sacrifice for it. I hate it because I'm also in the camp that believes we don't need to cheat to kick a$$. I we are a group of A$$ kickers with or without trashcans.

That said, I wish we would embrace the hate. We know we are awesome and regionally we are going to matter but nationally this is the most relevant we've ever been. Even during the 2017 WS. People hate us and are spilling a lot of ink to let us know. I say screw'em!

I say we hire Roger Clemens as our special ambassador to handle press conferences when someone needs another apology.

I say Waste Management sponsors an Astros Trashcan giveaway every Tuesday night. Maybe even replace Orbit with Oscar the Grouch.

I say we give away buzzers in the shape of WS rings.

Does anyone else feel this way?

rusHour, snowconeman22, leroy and 6 others like this.
  2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Judging by Correa's comments yesterday, and Bregman's less than heartfelt apology I think they already are.

Ultimately, the league can make the franchises life very difficult if we go out our way to mock this. Manfred answers to the owners and one of his primary jobs is maintaining the appearance of competitive integrity, so given that we have zero defenders outside this area code you only wanna poke the bear so much. I know we all would like the Astros to go full villains, but developing a flippant attitude is about the best you can realistically hope for publicly.

If MMP just so happened to sell Astros trash cans this season (for home use of course).... well I wouldn't be opposed to some organic non team approved f**kery.

3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

They are because they know how far this spreads with other teams. It'll blow up eventually.

Also there was hardly any outrage when the Angels' drug ring killed a pitcher. What does MLB think about that? Could have really been forward thinking with it.

4. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

It would be great if the fans either bought those trash cans or brought their own and banged on them throughout the game.

SemisolidSnake and lw17 like this.
  5. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

As a casual Astros fan, I'm looking forward to every game now. The spice level is ghost pepper hot. I love the idgaf stfu attitude right now from the Astros.

My only concern is the baseball brand of justice. I suspect every team in baseball is going to be head hunting. I wonder how Astros players deal with people trying to kill them from the mound.

This may be a silly concern since I know very little about baseball.

6. PhiSlammaJamma

The pre-crime unit is overwhelmed.

raining threes likes this.
  7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

8. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Absolutely.

No matter how much they apologize, give back the trophy, rings, bonuses, etc. the media, players and fans will still want their pound of flesh.

At this point, just say !@#$ it and roll with the narrative that we’re the villains. Go out and win.

raining threes likes this.
  9. raining threes

Can I bring a trash can in the gates at MMP?

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Cherenqueco

Cherenqueco Member

Embrace it baby. Let the hate fuel you. On a side not, cant wait til fiers pitches at MMP. Hope everyone is dressed in rat/stool pigeon costumes.

backwardhead likes this.
  11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

That chickenshit isn't stepping foot in the 713 this season. Some sort of mystery illness will come up, and force him to sit the series out.

12. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

I bought my AWO Shirt. Im ready

backwardhead likes this.
  13. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Ive been saying it a while now ... embrace the role of the villian!

"Haters are a good problem to have. Nobody hates the good ones. They hate the great ones." -Kobe

The Astros have never even been relevant enough to be hated until now

14. SemisolidSnake

"Surely, opioid abuse is mainly limited to just one or two teams just like this cheating thing, and there's no need to look much deeper into that. Hey, here's a new way the Astros are worse than Satan himself. While you're looking at that, we'll just burn these reports that say Angels staffers knew about Tyler Skaggs and multiple players on the team are alleged to have been users over the years. Remember, maybe the Angels organization might have killed a guy, but the Astros organization killed BASEBALL ITSELF." ~ MLB and the media

15. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Now is the winter of our discontent
    Made glorious summer by this son of York;
    And all the clouds that loured upon our house
    In the deep bosom of the ocean buried.
    Now are our brows bound with victorious wreaths,
    Our stern alarums changed to merry meetings,
    Our dreadful marches to delightful measures.
    Grim-visaged war hath smoothed his wrinkled front,
    . . .
    He capers nimbly in a lady’s chamber
    To the lascivious pleasing of a lute.
    But I, that am not shaped for sportive tricks
    Nor made to court an amorous looking-glass;
    . . .
    Why, I in this weak piping time of peace
    Have no delight to pass away the time,
    Unless to spy my shadow in the sun
    And descant on mine own deformity.
    And therefore since I cannot prove a lover
    To entertain these fair well-spoken days,
    I am determined to prove a villain
    And hate the idle pleasures of these days.

backwardhead likes this.
  16. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Terrible flashback to high school English days

17. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think the way to embrace the hate is just go out every game with the mindset "It's us against the world". Do your best each and every day, and the rest will take care of itself.

18. SuraGotMadHops

They apologized already, accepted accountability and expressed remorse. Thats it, they dont have to do it anymore, if the media wants to keep piling on that's on them, I am happy as hell Correa barked back at Bellinger and all these other goofs that are trying to pin their own futility on the scandal. I want these guys to moxie up and accept the heel turn.

This is all media fueled anyway. They are a mob, it started when Dreillich harbored a grudge against Luhnow, then Verlander kicked that guy out of the press conference, then with Taubman the Astros got #MeToo'd. They dont report anymore, they tell stories and push agendas. That's the reason this scandal is getting much more attention than the Angels KILLING a guy. It's also why nobody gives an eff that Boston did the same thing BEFORE AND AFTER the Astros did. It's why nobody cares that Beltran brought this scheme FROM NY with him.

It's all BS. Heel turn baby, AWO 4 LIFE.

19. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I feel like we should have taken a play out of the Patriots playbook. Those MFers cheat all the time and when anyone gets their panties in a knot they just shrug their shoulders and go out and keep winning.

Wait till we win the next one. They will loose their minds and their tears will be so sweet.

BigDog63 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

Who is our Richard III? Not Verlander. Gotta be Bregman.