1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I won’t even read it because I know it will piss me off. I’m so done with reading big leaguers and the media crying and hating so much.

King1, BigM and RayRay10 like this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

People still acting like baseball is some pristine holy endeavor - and this is mainly the baseball media - is funny to me. I don't blame fans too much because by and large sportsfans are a reflection of society at large...****ing morons. This bbs is a, thankfully, self-selecting group.

Why didn't the NFL media treat the Patriots like this after Spygate?

buffalobills!!!, Nook, BigM and 3 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

You should read the part about Manafort and changes to the game. I believe it's JR's 2nd post of the interview.

RayRay10 likes this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I may do that. I saw his tweet killing Manafort and I pretty much agreed. I just didn’t want to fully commit because of who said it.

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Is there any way we could get some black unis with orange trim as road uniforms, maybe alternates? If we're going to be the bad guys, we might as well embrace it. Forget the Yank-mees, the Astros are the new and improved Evil Empire!

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Agreed. I think they'll be fine. This team is better under pressure.

buffalobills!!! and BigM like this.
  7. cdain3

cdain3 Member

Lol I don't even think the 76 reds could've beat the nationals last year. Luckiest damn sports team I've ever seen.

8. Buck Turgidson

Obviously Kendrick had a buzzer or a brain implant or something. He had never hit that pitch from Harris for a HR, he had never hit that pitch from Harris for anything.

I call shenanigans, and I demand a thorough internet-led investigation.

htwnbandit, mikol13, Nook and 2 others like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

According to Lugo, whose career the Astros apparently ruined, “when you execute a pitch you shouldn’t give up good hits.”

Sounds like we have an open and shut case.

RayRay10 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

#boycottbww was trending overnight

#2150 J.R., Feb 15, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  11. sew

sew Member

Barring a meeting in the WS, I don't think we play the Reds or the Dodgers this year, unfortunately

Rock Block likes this.
  12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://theathletic.com/1609814/202...s-scandal-from-derailing-clubhouse-chemistry/

Asked about Gonzalez on Wednesday, Twins pitcher Rich Hill instead emphasized how much he wants to win a World Series, that it’s his top priority. Hill has spent the last month expressing disappointment about a scandal that has dominated the headlines since The Athletic’s Ken Rosenthal and Evan Drellich first reported on it in mid-November.

At TwinsFest last month, Hill said he was most upset for the behind-the-scenes personnel, clubhouse attendants, trainers and other staffers, who would have most benefitted from a World Series-winning share. Rather than point fingers, Hill has instead emphasized repeatedly how much he wants to hoist a World Series trophy.

“We’re teammates and we’re here to win a World Series in Minnesota and I think that’s the main goal is to leave anything outside of the clubhouse, outside of the clubhouse,” Hill said. “Then when we’re here putting on the same uniform, we have the same goal. We’re trying to reach the same goal. That’s why we’re here.”

Perhaps offering an indication of how he intends to handle the situation, Hill said Wednesday he would be willing to talk to Gonzalez about the scandal if his teammate approached him. But according to multiple team sources, Gonzalez and Hill had already discussed the matter the day before with the left-hander clearly preferring to make their discussion a private matter.

Hill’s former and current teammate, Maeda, also mostly downplayed the scandal when asked about it after throwing in the Twins bullpen Friday. Maeda, who was flawless in the 2017 World Series aside from allowing a three-run, game-tying homer to Altuve in Game 5, isn’t certain he was a victim of the scandal.

“I’m not even sure 100 percent if (Altuve) knew the signs, if he knew my pitch,” Maeda said through an interpreter. “But I’m not really frustrated. Altuve himself is a good hitter. If I knew for sure Altuve knew my pitch then I would have been bothered, frustrated, but then again, I don’t know for sure so I can’t really say.”

A member of consecutive National League pennant winners, Maeda did express some frustration over the possibility of losing the World Series because of Houston’s nefarious ways. But rather than belabor that point, Maeda seems intent to move on and worry about the future instead.

“It is a little frustrating because the Dodgers had a chance to win the whole thing, but then again, it is in the past and right now what I can do is to contribute to the Twins winning the World Series,” Maeda said. “Like I said before, that home run was the only one I gave up so it didn’t really affect me personally. If I had given up a whole bunch of hits and home runs then I would use that as an excuse.”

One aspect that did stand out to Maeda was how effective the Astros were against four-time All-Star pitcher Yu Darvish. After allowing only two earned runs and striking out 14 in 11 2/3 postseason innings in the NL playoffs, Darvish got rocked in the World Series. Darvish lost his Game 3 and Game 7 starts, lasting 1 2/3 innings in each and allowing a combined eight earned runs and nine hits while striking out no batters. “(Darvish) usually doesn’t give up that many hits so in that sense, now that this news came out, it makes sense,” Maeda said. “He didn’t get any strikeouts so that’s very unlikely of him.”

Tyler Clippard, the last player involved in the brouhaha, issued a statement at TwinsFest last month suggesting his former teammates needed to fess up. Noting they needed to “own it,” Clippard, who was acquired in late July and didn’t pitch for Houston in the postseason, said he hoped doing so would allow the rest of the league to move on from the story. At this point, there’s no indication players around the league intend to slow down.

14. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Vernon is a legend.

16. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Correct we dont but alot of others we do although it woud be great to get B&B in our house this year

RayRay10 likes this.
  17. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I didn't have any luck with search to see if this was already posted. Holy **** what a read.

https://www.dannypicard.com/post/living-on-the-edge

Danny Picard
    • Jan 20
    LIVING ON THE EDGE
    Baseball’s love/hate relationship with technology, and how a chosen few are paying the ultimate price for using iT
    BOSTON — There are two sides to every story.

Right now, the side you’re hearing is the one that portrays Alex Cora and Carlos Beltran as the new faces of cheating in baseball, thanks to MLB commissioner Rob Manfred’s nine-page report on sign-stealing in the Houston Astros’ organization during their 2017 World Championship season.

Both Cora and Beltran lost their managerial jobs last week, after the Boston Red Sox and New York Mets proactively responded to Manfred’s investigation into the 2017 Astros. Manfred claimed that Cora — the Astros bench coach at the time — was involved in developing and utilizing the team’s use of technology in a sign-stealing scheme, and that Beltran — an Astros player at the time — was involved in the discussion of the creation of that scheme. They’re alleged to have used the center-field camera’s live game feed and the video replay review room to decode and then relay signs to hitters. The relay process, according to the report, included the use of runners, the replay phone, smart watches, and cell phones, as well as using a bat to smash a trash can before an off-speed pitch.

No league punishment was given to Cora or Beltran before they lost their jobs, but Manfred did suspend Astros GM Jeff Luhnow and manager A.J. Hinch for the entire 2020 season for failing to put an end to the team’s technological sign-stealing efforts. That forced Astros owner Jim Crane to fire both Luhnow and Hinch almost immediately after the league’s suspensions were dished out.

In the days that followed, the Red Sox fired Cora, and then the Mets fired Beltran.

The details of Manfred’s report made it very clear that all the blame was being placed on Cora and Beltran, but mostly on Cora. The commissioner portrayed them as the masterminds of this evil plot. And both are now known as baseball’s biggest cheaters.

But should they be?

It’s fair to also ask the question: Does the punishment — banishment from baseball — fit the actual crime?

I reached out to a few players to find out what they think. One current MLB veteran hitter believes Manfred “****ed up” with how he and the league have handled the situation.

“I don’t know if cutting the head off a snake is the right thing to do, because there’s a lot of snakes,” said the hitter who spoke on condition of anonymity.

Click the link for the rest:
    https://www.dannypicard.com/post/living-on-the-edge

18. CinematicFusion

If the Yankees believe so strongly that the Astros cheated in 19.... why welcome Gerrit Cole with open arms. Shouldn’t they be taken him out back behind the woodshed for a verbal ass whooping on Twitter, media?

Nook, everyday eddie and htwnbandit like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.