1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More than 6 in 10 Americans feel better off last 3 years: #MAGA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Feb 13, 2020.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

[
    Amazon has barely paid any taxes over the last ten years however before 2019 it was due to reporting little income.

In 2019 its the total tax burden in which they got a bunch of rebatesbut im not arguing in favor of these tax cuts

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I feel better knowing that on Novemebr 3rd we get to flush the turd we elected in 2016.

Nook, REEKO_HTOWN and London'sBurning like this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

What is this possibly based on? It isn't based on facts known at this point.

Also, Trump is the most polarizing and corrupt President in the modern era, people on both sides of the aisle are going to show up to vote because he is so polarizing.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  4. mick fry

mick fry Member

As long as you feel better. You have about 9 1/2 months to enjoy that feeling.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

You're assuming that Joe the Trump Supporter even knows what deficit spending is.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Is there still a Tea Party? Seems like the fad has wore off, or maybe as some suggested, since GOP is in power their fiscal priorities have disappeared.

7. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

So that fewer people in the lower end job market got jobs? Why do you want that?
    All economic theory and actual facts, as well as almost all economic studies, like this one from the CBO. What those who propose this have is...a simple feeling that hey, it sounds good. What'sastounding is that the concept is really simple, yet because it works against what they want to happen, they pretend it isn't. There is a limit to what any business can spend on wages. When wages go up, they have to cut back on labor costs somewhere. So, they employ fewer people. It's not that complicated. It just disagrees with their philosophy.

We shall see. Enthusiasm for Trump is growing, and I think it will ebb for Democrats. They've been fired up about getting rid of Trump for four years now...you can't maintain that level of enthusiasm. They peaked early, and all their attempts over those four years have failed. That will discourage some, and it has pulled more people into Trump's camp. Thank you Pelosi.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah...... what is this based on, that is what I am asking? The early primary voting shows an increase in voters in the democratic primary.

I agree with the idea that there is fatigue after years of trying to get rid of a President. We have even seen ebbs and flows over the last 3+ years. The problem is that Trump always does something that renews people having an interest in voting him out of office.

As far as all the Democrats attempts having failed, they knew they could not get him out of office because the Republicans would not support his removal. The actual impeachment process was a resounding success for the democrats at this point. The Democrats were able to show just how big a sham the vote was. The revelations that came out during the process hurt the President, and his statements and admissions post impeachment have only made it clear that the President is corrupt, that he is a liar and that he did what he was accused of doing. Will that matter in October/November? I really do not know, no one does........ but there is a cumulative effect at play. There were be people that will not vote for Trump because he committed fraud and stole from veterans. There will be some people that will look at his lies before and during the impeachment process and his statements afterwards.... that is all heavy baggage.

Usually the Republicans handle the actual politicking better than democrats but they haven't for several months now. Having Senate leaders stating that they will vote to acquit no matter what was a bad showing. Pelosi made an ass out of herself, but she isn't running for President. Also the idea that Pelosi ripping a piece of paper will draw people into Trump's camp but all of the appalling behavior he provides weekly will not is interesting.

We will see what happens....... there is a long time until the election. I will just say I have seen nothing factually that supports the idea that the Democrats will have low turnout. The little bit of information we do have shows high turnout.

9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

All fair points. Democratic turnout was down in Iowa, up in NH...will see what happens in other states.

Yes, Trump keeps on creating new issues to harp on. But Dems would harp on anything he did, anyway. That is where I think the fatigue factor will come in. One can only cry wolf so many times. I think basically it doesn't affect the core on either side much (although there were a good number of Democrats that attended Trump's NH rally)...the key is how all that impacts the middle. I don't think they pay much attention to all this stuff--they're tired of it, and want to know about issues that impact them.

Personally, I didn't see at all that they proved he did what they said he was doing. That completely hinges on motive, and they didn't even offer any actual evidence on that. If that were an actual criminal trial, it would have been thrown out, as it was completely predicated on supposition. But, it wasn't. It was all political, designed to play out politically. Those on the left will think it went just fine, as will those on the right. It all depends on the middle.

10. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

What's our choices ?! We're making a choice between two drunk teenagers with daddy's credit no limit credit cards.

And honestly with all the focus on Trump and his asshattery , that's where everyone's focus is ....

Economic common sense still matters as a principal to economic conservatives but think about it .... one choice is as bad as the other and there is so much other crap going on all at once and there's only 24 hours in a day.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Democrats don't look at it as crying wolf and every day something else shows why they should keep the pressure on.

Are tired of all the stuff or are they tired of Trump doing all the stuff?

We will see.

How would the case have been thrown out when there were Republican senators who said he did wrong?

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The choices aren't mine, they were the Tea Party's. They chose to organize rallies and protests about govt. spending during Obama's administration. That administration ended but govt spending increased and the Tea Party chose not to raise any fuss at all. I'm asking why they chose to become active before but not now even though their stated reason for activism increased.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

The President has literally nothing to do with that - but most smart people already know this.

DD

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The "tea party" isn't really a party - it was a movement away from the GOP.

And its roots came about as a result of Dubya Bush and his TARP / StealFromUs spending - You know most of the stimulus spending and bailouts were done prior to Obama taking office with the excuse being that if they didn't get it done Obama would spend a heck of a lot more - fear mongering. Dubya's first term was the last time I voted for a Republican.

Those weren't really tea party rally's but GOP candidates holding rally's under the guise of "tea party" values , trying to piggyback off of Ron Paul policies.

If you ask me , I done believe any of them meant a single word they said in those campaigns as those that did win and are now in Congress / Senate have been complicit to our current spending issues.

In my opinion , the tea party was nothing but a lie to fire up the economic conservatives and get elected.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be a stupid person.

DD

16. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Nothing to do with what?

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The group was bankrolled by the Koch Brothers so it makes sense for political power that they’ve just consolidated under the Trump campaign and the ocean of dark money.

And yes the group cared less about fiscal responsibility and more about the personal finances of right wing billionaires like Charles Koch. Obama was a perceived threat and so the counter attack on him was to build public consensus and fear around his initiatives to stifle their popularity and ability to be made into law.

Pretty simple when you think about why then and why now. Even Rand Paul who has been billed his whole career as a true believer in the fiscal responsibility has shown his true colors in the end. The GOP since Reagan has used the Two Santa Clause theory to pull a fast one on the American people. Say what you want about Democrats (especially the ones bought by Wall Street) but the entirety of the GOP is rotten to its core and built on a lie.

18. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Ouch!!!

The Dem's are bought too, I think you know that. Thats what's so appealing about Bernie; He's not bought. But he's a scary proposition to the status quo. To me personally, he's scary because I have a personal and professional interest in a strong economy that feeds the real estate, construction, engineering industry.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Which side advocates to do things that tackle corporate influence such as reversing Citizens United?

20. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

There are PACs on both sides. I'm responding to your post, so forgive me for not digging in and being more informed prior to this response. But is this the case that went to the SOTUS and Justice Roberts was the tie breaking vote? I recall him and Obama jawing at a state of the union just after the ruling that PACs can basically be recognized like an individual. This, IMO, is a total perversion of the election process.

Like I said, I just did a quick search and assume this is what you are talking about. I also found this link https://raskin.house.gov/media/pres...amendment-overturn-citizens-united-introduced

I believe the politicians on both sides that are not deeply entrenched in the 'game' want to do away with this as both you and I do. If you're saying the Dem's are doing more to fight it, I'll take your word. But I don't believe the Dem establishment are innocent. Bernie, however, appears to totally reject the PACs funding. And this I respect about him. I also believe his intentions are well placed.