1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

5th Starter Competition

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Joe Joe, Feb 14, 2020.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

James has the upside, but thinking he's probably better in the pen.

Pruitt....I like him as a stop gap, replacement starter. I would not like him as the 5th starter entering the season.

Framber....barns across America feel safer if he's the 5th starter.

Peacock....while I prefer him in the pen for the playoffs, I think regular starts during the early part of the regular season would keep his arm stronger for multi-inning outings in the playoffs. If he can't go as 5th starter, it will be a waiting game on hoping someone from minors is ready (Javier, Whitley) sometime in 1st half of the season.

2. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Would really be OK if they just went 5th starter by committee until somebody takes control of the job, or gets hurt.

RasaqBoi and thesonofsam like this.
  3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I would prefer James to win it

1 he has the upside to turn it into a legit starter

2 long term that could make a big difference for our organization, so would be great to see him do it

Peacock will be needed in the pen, with more uncertainty in the rotation, and knowing Lance is gonna need an innings eater attached to his spot in some way, if Peacock and Pruitt could both be pen guys I just think everything sets up better

I just don’t see Framber as that guy either, hope he is better than what we have seen but

now, if Whitley shows he is not the guy we saw last year, things change dramatically

jiggyfly, everyday eddie and Rileydog like this.
  4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree in that I would prefer James to win. I don't know if he can. Worry about having multiple starts in a row that he just doesn't have control.

On soaking up multiple innings in relief, that is a tough job for the entire regular season that can wear out a pitcher if the manager isn't cautious with usage. Other teams have done it better than the Astros, as it seems Astros always burn the guy out. As I doubt Pruitt makes the playoff rosters, he's the guy I want soaking up innings in relief. If manager keeps him healthy great. If he breaks, he breaks.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I go back/forth on James.

He seems to do well when he's got consistent rest, and a consistent role. That screams make him a starting pitcher.

Then again, his stuff likely doesn't hold up on the 2nd or 3rd time through the order, even at its best, which says make him a reliever.

6. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I do worry about 3rd time through the order from him. I don't have a problem with a non-ace only pitching 2 times through the order if the team invests in middle relievers. Haven't paid too much attention to Baker in the past decade, but if he still manages like he did with the Cubs, starting would not be the best for James as Cubs Baker would leave him in against the 3rd time through the order.

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

JV
    Greinke
    LM?
    ?
    ?

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yes. Was going to mention that Baker’s usual philosophy won’t work with guys like James.

where is the “1M” when you really
    need him? He was ahead of his time.

9. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

They'll need the 5th starter in the 5th game (2nd game against the A's at home) and then wouldn't need a 5th starter until two weeks later against the Rays due to 3 off days between those points. Unless someone wins it out of spring training, they probably could go by committee at least through then if they wanted to see what happens.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Pruitt has to be the favorite unless James just dominates and shows he can go deep. That said, any of the darkhorse guys could command the spot (Javier, Martes, Armenteros, Valdez, Cionel Perez), and that would probably be the best thing that could happen for the Astros.

11. The Beard

sometimes with a young guy, he has to struggle the third time through to learn not to. Also some is building endurance

I agree he likely would struggle the third time through the order, would love to see him get that chance this year though

12. The Beard

very interested to see how Martes looks

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Last I heard was his velocity was down when he returned last season.

14. Nook

Nook Member

Peacock is having nerve issues and has had his Spring Training schedule changed.

Someone will emerge from the large soup of talented but under achieving pitchers to fill a rotation spot.

Maybe it will be Whitley or James...... I would not count out Martes.... I am aware of reports of velocity issues.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

There's only about 20 to 30 pitchers that can pitch better on 3 TTO than Pruitt when he first comes in. I'd rather Astros go for the win. If James is a starter and master of going 2 TTO, then Astros should look at extending him.

16. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Agreed. And he's 26...this might be a make or break time for him. Perhaps a consistent role out of the pen could work. Maybe if they put him in the Harris role?

I assume Pruitt is getting Devo's tweener spot (well maybe Peacock's technically until Peacock is healthy)

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He seems to suffer when used somewhat frequently. Control starts to falter, velocity inconsistent, and then he already has has issues with overuse injury.

Maybe best as a multi-inning reliever who gets days off.

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Unfortunately that kind of role is inconsistent unless you move into some sort of tandem thing.

I wonder how the extra roster spot + the minimum batters rule might change who makes a team and how guys are used. I know they can't keep an extra pitcher--but there could still be some side effects. And I wonder if they might consider running out 3 starters, a tandem pair, and then LMJ every other run through or something interesting like that while making the rest/math work out.

19. Buck Turgidson

Once again, through no fault of their own, they'll be counting on some youngsters stepping up, others being healthy, re-evaluating in June, and making moves from there. Fingers crossed.

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On being inconsistent, Rays did it all year, but were better at giving guys rest.