1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. onreego

onreego Member

All I keep saying, man.

RudyTBag likes this.
  2. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

At what date are we required to have 14 men on the roster? It's 2 weeks that we can operate at 13 men right?

So 2 weeks from the trade being finalized is the date Morey will be allowed to sign someone to a 10 day.
    At the end of the 10 day, 2 weeks at 13, then another 10 day.

3. jogo

jogo Member

I think we'd pick up Harkless in a second. But it's unclear if he'll be bought out and if he did he'd probably pick LA. That's understandable to me, though I'd love him on this team.

Broekhoff looked good on that highlight video. But it's a highlight video and I've never seen him play outside of that. I'm a fan of a 10 day to check him out.

I don't care for Bender much but then I saw he's only 22. It's hard to pass on a 22 yr old with some skills. But he wouldn't help us in these playoffs, I don't think, so there's not much point in picking him up this season.

As others have said, the player has to be good enough to jump all of our bench players. That's Harkless for sure, the others Idk.

joshuaao, Hakeemtheking and D-rock like this.
  4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed that Rivers, McLemore, House and Thabo have to play more minutes when any of the big 3 are out.

However, this only sharpens my point. Rivers, McLemore and House are limited players in Rockets system.

Neither are long enough to be efficient switch everything defenders even when Russ, Harden and EGo are 100%.

Rivers and McLemore are both 6'3 with 6'8 or less wingspans. And while House is 6'6, his wingspan is a woeful 6'8.

Rockets need another player (or two) taller than 6'6 with wingspan greater than 6'8 (preferably 7'0+).

Broekhoff is 6'7 with 6'10 wingspan and shoots 3ball better than Rivers, McLemore or House (40%).

Anderson is 6'6 with 7'0 wingspan and is known for his defense and thunderous above the rim play. Not only is he longer than House, he is stronger and so much more bouncier (a walloping 43" max vert).

Bender is 7'0 with 7'2 wingspan and moves like a guard.

Not even going to mention Thabo, because he no longer has the 3 in the required 3-D.

#884 D-rock, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    DeBeards, joshuaao, Blurr#7 and 5 others like this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Players added should be better than current bench players, I agree.

But we should consider entirety of the bench in this evaluation. Currently Rockets have TWO open roster spots AND three unplayable players (Tyson, Harty, Clemons). These 3 unplayable players are next to useless for this season as well as next.

Rockets have a template for the type of player required to successfully maximize our new 5 out system. Add those players now, even if just on 10 day.

Rockets are already short handed a scorer on Russ B2B and short 2 scorers with EGo gimpy.

Rockets need to use forward thinking and not have to scramble around later if another injury occurs.

Fill the 2 Roster spots and if Harkless, Spellman or Biyombo become available then they could always jettison Tyson, Clemons, Harty or even Thavo if necessary.

This roster is old and filled with players that do not fit our new system, this is the problem.

6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Id add Montiejunas and Udoh if possible. Figure out which one works best as alternate big for playoffs.

rocketsmetalspd likes this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would add these 3 players now to improve:

6'6 Justin Anderson - 230, 7'0 wingspan, 43" max vert > improves rim protection, rebounding, switch defense, lob threat

6'7 Ryan Broekhoff - 6'10 wingspan, 40% 3P this season > improves 3P shooting, rim protection, rebounding, switch defense

6'3 Tyler Johnson - 42" max vert, 36% 3P career > improves 3P shooting, ball handling, rim protection, bench scoring

8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Tough question

Kevin Knox ....looked good his first season (lack of system fit now) ???

Justin Anderson....looked good his first season (lack of system fit now)?
    Was signed to 10 day contract on Jan 2nd I believe by the Nets. Nets run a system like the Rockets...
    Why did he get such few minutes?
    Why was his PER a minus (3.8)?
    Why was his 3P% zero on 1.0 (3PA) a game?
    Was he hanging out with the wrong people? Aaron Hernandez played well for the Pats but was a thug
    Was he missing meetings?

Morey can ask the former GM/ coaches what happened with that situation? Avoid the same complications
    or issues.

9. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think there are def people out there that he will replace Ben and Houston with pretty quick.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Nets run old Rockets system, with 5 as lob threat and roller.

They do not play 5 out with emphasis on gang rebounding/rim protection, disruption, switch everything.

Nets are also bountiful at wing, Rockets have a dearth. But Nets obviously still value him, hedging their bets with Anderson as they signed him to their GLeague team to continue to grow him in their system.

https://www.netsdaily.com/2020/1/21/21075106/nets-bringing-justin-anderson-back-to-organization

Adiano-Malko, DeBeards and Blurr#7 like this.
  11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes 5-man out....but Nets released him before the 10 days were up to look at 2-way players or other options.

Wiz cut him in preseason. Why?

Yes the guy has all the tools, but like Josh Jackson, M Chriss, Kevin Knox, WCS......they just aren’t getting it.

That 10-day contract was guaranteed money that Nets cut after 3 games. Morey is going to do his homework
    and most GM’s will make Justin Anderson earn his keep after a year by keeping out of trouble/playing well.

DeBeards likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Like you said, different system and different team needs.

I would take a chance on former 4th overall pick 6'8 Josh Jackson too.

But that's just me.

#892 D-rock, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    DeBeards, joshuaao and ApacheWarrior like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

From what I see the Rockets are approximately $5M plus change under the luxury tax.
    https://www.spotrac.com/nba/houston-rockets/cap/

Bruno is a project finishing out this season.

Rockets can’t afford to sign players that are projects (or non vets) and then see a player bought out that they
    needed or wanted hit the open market.

Vets first and then project players (if no vets come about) as the Rockets are doing is my preference.

I run with Morey on this. Rockets just can’t give away money and then take it away like candy. Tilman
    is the owner.

DeBeards likes this.
  14. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Next Thursday after the all star break. I believe that’s when we gotta sign someone even if it’s a10 day contract.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I hope the rockets add somebody bit how many times has a buyout candidate actually helped a team win a championship? I am sure it's happened every now and then but it's rare I would think

16. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

I like all those three as well. If we had to pick only one I would pick Anderson just because of his athleticism and he is decent on 3s. Seems like a D house kinda player but with a little more speed.

I would then take Bender just because of his size. We wouldn’t have to use him all the time just on certain matchups to spread the floor and have some size inside. I know he isn’t really a shot blocker but he is okay on defense.

Ryan B would be good as well because he is shooting 40%. He is only shooting around 3 or 4 a game but has been above 38% from 3. Something we have lacked in the playoffs. Someone who can we can make wide open shots consistently. Wished at times that Morey had given Redick that extra year because we could have use him when we missed so many 3s against golden state. Anyway I checked Ryan’s stats on the euro league too and Fiba. He has shot around 50% as well.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  17. smoothie_king

smoothie_king Member

Don't count on rivers for anything besides warming bench for Westbrook!!!

Klay Thompson bangs Austin rivers' sister.

18. HROZ

HROZ Member

Moe Harkless is the best option if Knicks buy him out.

Went to Conference finals. Best defender available, with a good 3pt % and size.

Ryan is the other guy I like. But I feel he's not strong enough to cover up our lack of height.
    But @ 6'7 can play some 3 maybe a little 4.
    Plus he's Australian.

Don't know much about Anderson.

D-rock and DeBeards like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harkless is definitely our best option.

Spellman would be 2nd priority. But neither are available currently and may never be.

Have to go with the Killer B's for now:

PG: Brodie, Tyler B Johnson, Babylon Rivers
    SG: Beard, Biggy Gordon, BMac
    SF: BobCov, Brick House, Broekhoff
    PF: Tucker, Bubba Anderson
    C: Bruno, Bender

20. D-rock

D-rock Member