1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More than 6 in 10 Americans feel better off last 3 years: #MAGA

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Feb 13, 2020.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

https://www.yahoo.com/news/more-6-10-americans-feel-150836030.html

WASHINGTON – A Gallup poll has encouraging news for President Donald Trump as his battle for reelection heats up: More than six in 10 Americans say they are better off than they were three years ago when he took office, and about the same number credit him for the improvement.

No other incumbent president in the past three decades has enjoyed such a high percentage of people saying they feel better about their situation. In 2012, when President Barack Obama was in the White House, 45% of Americans told Gallup they were better off than they were three years ago. In 2004, 1996 and 1992, the number was 50%.

In the latest survey, 61% say they are better off, 36% say they're not and 3% say they're about the same.

A strong majority of Americans (62%) say Trump should get credit for improving the economy. Thirty-seven percent say he deserves a "great deal" of credit, and 25% say he deserves a "fair amount." Nineteen percent say he should not take much credit, and 18% say he deserves none at all.

Read senators' impeachment notes: 7 senators’ handwritten notes offer a new view of President Trump's impeachment trial

Fifty-one percent say Obama deserves at least a fair amount of credit for the economy, 25% say he does not deserve much and 23% say he should get none.

Twenty-nine percent of Americans say the economy is the most important issue for them when voting for president, more than those who cite health care (26%), immigration (14%), gun policy (13%), education (10%) and terrorism (5%).

In January, Gallup found Trump with his highest job approval rating (49%) since taking office. Sixty-three percent of Americans in that survey said they approved of Trump's handling of the economy, the highest rating for any president since George W. Bush's approval ratings soared after the terror attacks Sept. 11, 2001.

Gallup poll: Donald Trump, Barack Obama tie for most admired man

Though such numbers are encouraging for those hoping for Trump's second term, elections haven't always gone the way one might predict based on how many people said their situation improved.

In 2012, 52% of Americans said they were not better off than they had been, making Obama the only recent incumbent to face reelection while most of the country said their personal situation had deteriorated. Yet he went on to defeat Mitt Romney in November that year.

John Kelly: Ex-Trump chief of staff John Kelly defends Alexander Vindman and the media

In 1992, 61% said they were at least as well off as they were at the start of 1989 when President George H.W. Bush took office, compared with 38% who said they were worse off. Bush nonetheless became a one-term president and lost to Bill Clinton.

The results of Gallup's latest survey are divided along party lines: 89% of Republicans and 60% of independents say they are better off; only 29% of Democrats say that's the case. By comparison, 60% of Democrats said they were better off in 2012, and 46% of independents and 27% of Republicans said the same.

The incumbent with the most bipartisan result was Clinton in 1996, when 49% of Republicans, 50% of independents and 53% of Democrats said they were better off.

The Gallup survey was conducted from Jan. 16-29 with a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.

2. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Indeed

3. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The Trump economy is really a testament to the power of American business, entrepreneurs and liberty.
    Trump didn't do much just tried to get government out of the way of business by aggressively lowering regulations
    and government agency controls that stifled innovation and growth. He lowered taxes and supported our business
    successes while attempting to stand up to foreign governments that supported their companies and allowed unfair
    discrimination of ours.

Wages and benefits and job offers are plentiful, people are leaving welfare and attaining honorable employment and
    even restaurant managers are making six figures.

A growing problem has been income inequality but what government could not mandate, business can provide.

What a wonderful time to be an American.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Yea not really,

Just borrowed a bunch of money and poured into the economy, in a time it was not necessary. Trillion dollar deficits in a good economy....laugh.

Akin to taking out a loan and then claiming to be rich. Untold future issues once a recession hits and we don't have the tools available to recover.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Geez, what's wrong with people? Unless the takeaway here is that presidents are precise about helping their own constituents and not others.

Still good news for Trump, I suppose, that so many people have convinced themselves they're better off whether they are or not.

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

That people are off of the welfare line, underemployment and unemployment both at great levels with a job market so tight
    that employers are RAISING wages and benefits. Those people are now productive members of society and not needing
    government assistance. They feel the pride of work and earning and not the hopelessness of government support.

This is a wonderful thing. Anyone that doesn't see this wants their side to win versus America to win.

The economy would've bounced back regardless in 2009 due to the massive undervaluation and the incredible steps
    taken by the fed and the government to add liquidity to the system. But the cumulative nature of this economic expansion
    and its strength this many years later is really a miracle.

American's are doing better than ever.

cml750 and B@ffled like this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I believe liberty is the primary factor.

ima_drummer2k and jiggyfly like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

And they still hate Trump and will come out in droves to vote him out of office. It's truly a testament to what kind of a President he is that "it's the economy, stupid" has been made completely irrelevant by all the terrible things does on a daily basis.

9. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Liberty is the freedom of choice. The consumer chooses, not the government bureaucrat.

Looks like this is going to be a landslide election as the consumers will choose Trump again.
    People vote with their wallets. Minorities, women and african americans have made amazing workforce
    strides.

I don't think Trump did anything great, he just recognized government held back entrepreneurs, business and commerce.
    Just moved government out of the way and let the American dream prevail.

4 more years will be refreshing. I though Biden would have a chance to beat Trump but now that he's out of the race its a done deal.

Bloomberg is the guy that has a punchers chance to beat Trump and the money, brains and organization to do so. I would be ok
    with nanny state Bloomberg as prez or Trump but it would hilarious if the democratic candidate was an old white, male, Wall St. billionaire.

10. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Talk about hitting the nail on the head.

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I like liberty.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The split between Republican and Democratic responses to this question is striking. It suggests that the results are severely tainted by partisan leanings, rather than being based on an objective assessment of their well-being.

conquistador#11, Nook, foh and 3 others like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Any teabaggers left?

None?

Is it time to talk about how big assholes they were?

foh and FranchiseBlade like this.
  14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

well, it’s about feeling which is quite subjective

15. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They were really passionate about reducing govt. spending and the debt. Those things have increased exponentially under Trump. I wonder why they were so much more active then than they are now? What is it that is different?

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I've stated this before and I'll just post it again:

Our economy is booming huh? That's why consumer debt is at levels right before the crash of 2008 and abuse of subprime mortgages are back in full bloom?

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/u...d-during-the-2008-financial-crisis-2019-06-19

It's so amazing how people can easily be deceived by GDP and stock market growth as genuine health indicators of how the economy is working for average Americans.

We live in what I call a "forced supply side" economic system. This happens every GOP cycle. Pump up the market for temporary gain by throwing money at the wealthy with massive tax cuts which increases the deficit. Lower fed interest rates. The "job creators" then proceed to invest not based on consumer demand based in added disposable income for the consumer class but rather laxed regulations in terms of borrowing money. An average of 1-3 percentage increase in average income when accounting for inflation doesn't change spending habits of the consumer hence this economic boom is being driven by consumers financing phones, tvs, furniture etc. And since the average disposable income of the average American family isn't increasing in any discernable amount, eventually all these bad loans and financing practices are going to result in massive levels of defaulting or consumers paying off bills rather than spending money on new products or services and boom, you have a recession.

That's what the GOP presidency does time and time again. They only care about the next election cycle, so as long as you can pump up the markets at the detriment of the long term health of the economy, so be it. It's a horrible system especially because all the massive publicly traded companies also have zero incentive for long term sustainability and would rather maximize profits for the next few quarters at the expense of long term sustainability. The average shareholder doesn't keep the same shares for years at a time and resuffles their investments constantly so there is no loyalty to a specific company for long term sustainability and the average executive at these publicly traded companies have an average term of 1-3 years so they couldn't give two ***** about what happens to the company 10-15 years down the line. All they care about as executives is maximizing profits for the allotted time they are at the helm so they can place their growth numbers on their resume for their next employer.

So we have two irresponsible forces that doesn't care about long term sustainability. What's even more frightening under Trump is usually during decent GDP growth, which we are experiencing now, the deficit is supposed to shrink as tax revenue is supposed to increase. But that is opposite of the case. The deficit is surging past 1 trillion dollars and that is frightening because when the next recession hits, that deficit is going to explode even more.

The economy isn't healthy. It isn't sustainable. Consumers have a limit of how much debt they can hold before the bubble bursts and the GOP only cares about pumping up numbers for temporary gain just for the next election. They are fine with these massive cycles of boom and recessions as long as the recessions that are created by their irresponsible polices occur under another adminstration. What's unfortunate is for th common American, these booms have little discernable effect on their lives as an increase of a couple of percentage points in average wage growth when accounting for inflation isn't life changing but recessions actually hit the consumer class hard. The average American doesn't feel the booms. They just feel the recessions. And the next recession given the massive amount of consumer debt and how our federal deficits are rapidly increasing is going to hit hard.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/12/economy/us-household-debt-record/index.html

If the American dream is fueled by consumer debt, then it really is a dream or a pipe dream for everyone else besides people who own significant capital. The most scary part of the current situation regarding Trump specifically is that his administration and the current Congress has basically created a situation where when the next crash does occur, we will be caught with our trousers down because the deficit is increasing to record levels even during sustained growth and interests rates are already very low where you can't go much lower when a crash hits.

#16 fchowd0311, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    larsv8 likes this.
  17. B@ffled

B@ffled Member

Take advantage of the economy and prepare for the roller coaster fall that inevitably will come. When do I move my 401 allocation to the low yield safe fund? I almost did it last year. Forecasts are good for this coming year but Bernie could throw a wrinkle. I can say that coming out of the 2009 depression taught me to have a rainy day fund and for the first time in my life I have cash to ride out a few jobless months. Am I better off than I was three years ago. Yes. But I was also fine 3 years ago, so Obama does get credit from me. But I'm also fortunate in that Harris County is pretty reliant because of the diversity of industries. We're not as dependent on the oil/gas industry as we were years ago. Housing slow downs don't affect us like in other parts of the country because the growth rate here is so strong.

Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  18. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Democrats can be dismissive. The fact is the job market is strong and wages are actually growing.

I hope the candidates don't talk down to the contented like this thread.

The budget is a long-term problem that isn't tangible right now

@fchowd0311

This isn't 2008. See commodity prices

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

It will be tangible. We are due. It’s been what 11 years of growth?

20. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If roles were reversed (not saying a Democrat would grow the deficit like this just if the president were Democrat), Republicans would demand a balanced budget and **** down the government.

Obviously im not recommending that.