1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Spring Training

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 12, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Ugh... its going to be a loooong season...

3. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

please quit feeding the troll, let him die and fade away

This place is for Astros Fans

lw17 likes this.
  4. The Beard

Yea everyone says "they must applogize, they must apologize" and then, very predictably, when they apologize everyone complains about it

F them all

Let's go win another Championship

lw17, Adiano-Malko, RayRay10 and 7 others like this.
  5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Nook likes this.
  6. texans1095

texans1095 Member

More to today then just a press conference and a bunch of clubhouse sound bites...

We've got guys throwing the ball around and taking BP! In a couple weeks we'll all be tired of ST and ready for Opening Day, but for now it's great to see the guys out there getting ready.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

8. Nero

Nero Member

Maybe I should have worded that more clearly.

I'll try to re-phrase. I do not feel any doubts when thinking about the subject of other teams in MLB possibly doing similar things to the Astros in the 2017 season. I feel confident, based solely upon my own personal ruminations on the subject, that it would be sheer foolishness not to assume that every other team in the league was engaged in some form of 'advanced sign stealing' in one way or another.

There is too much money involved in professional sports for this not to be happening, at all levels. The players know the difference between being an average hitter and a good hitter can mean literally millions of dollars in their pockets. Not just the Astros' players, ALL MLB players.

Just to be clear - I am not condoning cheating. I am merely pointing out that the playing field was very likely to be much more level than the talking heads clutching at their pearls would have us believe.

RayRay10, msn and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. Major

Major Member

That's always been the case. But not all players used corked bats. Or used steroids. Why assume that everyone would do it now? And why is there literally no evidence outside of the Astros and likely Red Sox? I mean, the Astros' cheating were found on game broadcasts less than 24 hours after Fiers told people what was happening - is everyone else just better at it? Is no one scouring other teams' tapes to find evidence?

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Its not assumptions. There have been numerous players, former and current, to have accused multiple teams of doing something similar. To act as if their accusations aren’t valid because they aren’t using “specifics” is disingenuous.
    There are multiple ways to signal without audible sounds, something as simple as a arm over the rail or the way a first base coach stands.
    Again, whats more likely? A rogue team implementing a nefarious scheme to take over the league? Or a team pushing the boundaries of what is already going on league wide?

The Beard likes this.
  11. Major

Major Member

Why? If the accusers can't provide specifics, it's pretty much meaningless. It's easy to speak in platitudes and just say "everyone's doing it". Numerous people were willing to speak about the Astros, but not one person can or will provide any specifics on any other team?

Either of these is plausible to me. The Astros have done all sorts of things that no team had done before or took things way further than anyone else ever had, including the entire rebuilding process that got the Astros so much attention and respect and now serves as a guide for lots of other teams. The Astros under this regime have both pushed limits and just gone well above and beyond anything previously done in their run towards greatness.

12. The Beard

There might not be audio evidence, obviously other teams weren't using Trash Cans, doesn't mean they weren't using other means

My biggest issue with the whole thing is this:

What part of it is what makes it so horrible? It's obviously not the "stealing signs" part cause everyone in baseball would admit sign stealing has been a part of the game their entire lives

Is it the use of electronics to actually steal the signs? If so then the Red Sox and Yankees should be getting hammered by the national media and all of MLB like the Astros (likely others, but those two have been fined for using electronics so we know they have done so)

If it's not the stealing of the signs or the use of electronics, is it specifically the way it was translated to the players? Is it ok to steal signs, even using electronics, as long as you don't use trash cans to signal the pitch?

It is ok to steal signs, even electronically, as long as you only use them when you have a runner on 2B who is taking the information and getting it to the hitter?

Is there an "ok" way to cheat, and also a "you can't do that" way to cheat?

This whole thing smells terrible

With the technology we have today, the answer should be simple. Give the pitcher/catcher a device to communicate, doesn't have to be vocal, the technology is there to let those two communicate easily without anyone else knowing...

But all of this "it's ok to cheat, just not the way the Astros did it" makes me ill

I hope we win 115 games and shove it up MLB and every player who is crying about it

13. The Beard

Why would they? They aren't going to put themselves out there like that. Have no doubt, the players that have spoken about the Astros situation did so because they were told they better tell everything they know to get immunity.

They aren't going to speak on other teams and other things if they aren't told they must do so

And to this point, MLB hasn't asked them to do so (and likely won't)

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One person came out against the Astros, Fiers. An ex employee on a division opponent that was more than likely disgruntled at not being on Series roster to boot.
    Then players were given immunity, what better way to say “not us” than blasting one specific team?
    There is exactly one rat, the rest of the people accusing other teams aren’t ratting teams out, they’re saying it’s a league wide issue and shouldn’t be scapegoats. If you can’t see the difference between singling a team out vs saying this is commonplace then I don’t know what to say

15. Buck Turgidson

Nice try. Lasted 24 hours.

BigM, everyday eddie and J.R. like this.
  16. msn

msn Member

1) The Astros were evidently the only team dumb enough to make racket like banging trash cans. I've heard (sorry, no links) that other teams just designate a guy leaning on the dugout--hands on the fence for fastball, hands hanging over for off-speed.
    2) The Astros were implicated by a teammate in a nation-wide article, and the Astros had just beaten the Yankees three out of four postseasons. Of course ppl were scouring for evidence on them. Nobody's scouring the Dodgers, because they haven't won anything.

Hope this happens if another guys squeals. But look what's happened to the Astros. How likely is it another guy squeals on his current or former club? Not very.

17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Even if another player squeals, I doubt players on other teams turn over information even with immunity offer after what has happened to the Astros. Also, other teams have had more than enough time to completely investigate themselves to destroy incriminating evidence.

RayRay10 and BigM like this.
  18. msn

msn Member

Exactly. I couldn't hate MLB's bungling of this more.

RayRay10, BigM and The Beard like this.
  19. awc713

awc713 Member

Correa new tat alert

lw17 likes this.
  20. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

It is astonishing the lengths to which MLB had to contort itself to **** itself in its own ass on this.

RayRay10 likes this.