1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Buyout Candidates 2020

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Feb 6, 2020.

1. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

[​IMG]

2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Ok maybe I was too hard on Broekhoff and a little too generous to MKG.

MKG has a reputation as being a good defender but his numbers are equal to Broekhoff and Eric Gordon. And I don't think Eric Gordon is a good defender.

Eric Gordon DRtg is around 115 while MKG is 116. Broekhoff is DRtg of 109. But Ryan Broekhoff gets about 10 minutes a game vs who? MKG is put on the best wing defenders.

DWS was about MKG 0.1 and Broekhoff DWS at 0.2. I need to double check that
    though. I didn't write that stay down.

Edited:. Ok numbers verified. Noted MKG was averaging 13 minutes a game. Never cared much for MKG. Both Broekhoff and MKG averaged about 4 points per game.

#842 ApacheWarrior, Feb 13, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Any thoughts on Justin Anderson?

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. lionaire

lionaire Member

What’s Shump up to these days?

Williamson likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Justin Anderson is an absolute freak of an athlete with advanced defense.

Standing jump of 38" with a max vert of 43" - insane. AG has a max vert of 39" just for comparison.

6'11.75" wingspan so essentially a 7'0 wingspan like PJ Tucker but with an incredible max vert to extend his reach.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

When healthy we have eight players worthy of rotation minutes for the regular season. Five are guards, three are frontcourt. If we could get one additional frontcourt player to just spell some minutes for PJ I'd be happy. I don't think that anyone we pick up of the waiver wire will be contributing in the playoffs that much. We have two roster spots left, I believe. One vet and one young long-term prospect would be great.

D-rock and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. onreego

onreego Member

Oh, I totally understand the need for bodies due to fatigue. My argument is more about whether or not the players that are available at the current moment are players that we truly think will crack MDA's rotation. I think Morey is waiting for more players to shake loose. We still don't know what Bruno can provide for us yet and that potentially creates a 10 man rotation with EG back, and we already know Mike is stubborn about keeping his to 8 or 9.

8. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

Puting aside shooting ability, this Justin Anderson's ball handling and footwork looks like a train wreck..26.2yrs old is still an uncut gem…smh
    besides I'm wondering did he play dirty or something, he went into so much conflict on court, even w/ Dwade?!

#848 DeBeards, Feb 13, 2020
  9. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

There is also video of him fighting with Nene. If he was any good at professional basketball, someone in the NBA would have signed him by now and he would not be in the G League.

DeBeards likes this.
  10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not a dirty player at all, just tight sticky defense. Offensive players, especially superstars, hate him.

Plays the game then right way IMO. As for ball handling, google his G League games this season, he has improved.

But 3-D wings do not need advanced ball handling, he plays disruptive defense, runs like the wind in transition, swat shots with authority and destroys rim's like they hurt his family.

Much better defender than House or McLemore, better lob threat too.

DeBeards likes this.
  11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Same could be said for Covington, Whiteside and PJ.

seclusion likes this.
  12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Neednbodies now with 2 open roster spots and EGo nagging injuries.

Also worried about Harden leg injuries and not having Russ on B2B.

13. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

I would be cool with one of Bobby Portis/Biyombo and Justin Anderson/Moe Harkless.

#853 JamalP., Feb 13, 2020
    DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  14. onreego

onreego Member

Yes, but the assumption is that MDA actually uses those extra bodies or just doubles down on what he has. We know what the answer is.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

False narrative, if MDA has the players he will play them. That was proven in 2018-2019 as well as his time with Suns.

Due to injuries and lack of talent, that has not. Even the case last 2 seasons. Even now, there are 2 open roster spots, 3 unplayable players and 3 integral players working thru injuries.

DeBeards likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

If all of this is true, you sign him. Problem is, MDA seems to want a proven track record or you’re not going to sniff the court.

Maybe the Rockets are just being patient right now to see if something shakes loose. Gotta believe they’ve reached out to available guys they may be interested in.

DeBeards, D-rock and onreego like this.
  17. onreego

onreego Member

Not a false narrative at all and we also know his rotation shrinks in the playoffs. It has since the Suns days.

All I'm saying is that I don't see anyone currently available that is going to force Mike to open up the rotation to include them. With EG out, he has given more minutes to Austin and McLemore. This includes working Covington into the current rotation. There are about 2 weeks left for players that are bought out to join a playoff team's roster. That is quite enough time to be patient and sees who hits the market.

If we want them to hurry and sign someone now, then you can expect them to fill up a bench seat next to Harty, Frazier, and Howard. My argument isn't even about not bringing in more bodies, it's for being patient. I'm honestly not sure what we're going back and forth about. Do you see someone currently available that is going to crack the rotation, realistically?

18. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I was just thinking this. I always see posts like this and it's like...there's been a lot of good players to come out of the g-league.

DeBeards and D-rock like this.
  19. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

There is no reason to play 7 players in a NBA regular season game. Hell, outside of injuries and sickness, you should routinely be playing 10+ guys.

MrSabotage likes this.
  20. icewill36

icewill36 Member

i agree more than 7, but no you don't need 10+ wtf

you want guys to be able to get into some kind of rhythm and you cant do that swapping guys out every few minutes. i think 9 man is perfect.

D-rock likes this.