1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Just keep your eyes on the elections, Ill keep stock piling.

Correction - 14840 new cases, with 13332 cases with CT result showing pneumonia symptoms but no nucleic-acid testing to confirm. 242 new deaths, with 135 of those without nucleic-acid testing. (My bad)
    @DrEricDing

https://twitter.com/DrEricDing

malakas likes this.
  2. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Thought this article was interesting

http://www.cbs8.com/amp/article/new...iego/509-e18e37f6-347c-4b08-ad33-910968abb04f

I guess even in a best case scenario it’ll still be the little bit required to have a vaccine past human trials in mass production.

but the interesting part was how quick they used algorithm to creat a vaccine.

Assuming something more dangerous doesn’t come along and wipe us out... it speaks well to the possibilities of the future where I guess gene sequencing can be used to quickly stuff like this

tinman likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I once read an article that questioned whether whether was the root cause of flu and cold seasons. There were numbers that suggested the amount of sunlight was the bigger factor and people received it less during winters.

Something to think about when you’re holing up for the flupocalypse.

Anyone remember what happened to MERS?? That seemed like a nightmare waiting to happen...

4. malakas

malakas Member

MERS still exists in the Middle East.

But because it is much less infectious- it requires direct contact- , and so lethal it is easy to control and contain it and cut the chain of contaminations.
    This is what happened and still happening with MERS and it is impossible with this new one, after we have reached this point.

I'm not holing up in a bunker lol.

Just looking at the facts:
    there is a gap in time where we are vulnerable - between the populations' lack of immunity , the time it needs for the vacine to be developed, for drugs to be developed and for the inevitable mutation of the virus.

If this new virus remains with humans in the future, it won't be the first one to do so.

The flu has remained with humans, and so have other more deadly viruses like Ebola.
    It is a constant battle between medicine and vacines and nature and the mutation of the viruses.

Getting infected now with a less than 2% mortality and acquiring immunity isn't that bad - at least for me who I am not over 60, when the alternative may well be facing a much more lethal form next winter.

If anything, this is the BRIGHT side. If I get it, I can be protected in the future.

The best of course would be a new vacine in less than 12 months.

Now I say this, and watch me catching it and fall dead.

B-Bob and Ottomaton like this.
  5. malakas

malakas Member

And China has shacked the Hubei party chief, and Wuhan party chief and replaced them with Xi's proteges who have an extensive background in ...security.

Dark times are upon Wuhan and Hubei, and the CCP is ready to deploy war time control measures.

Lets hope for the best.
    The virus is the virus but hopefuly there won't be deaths by other ways.

Nook likes this.
  6. Senator

Senator Member

The best thing for humanity is to isolate China and all Chinese for the next 9 months. If it means certain industries and economies take a hit, so be it, but this is a reminder to those who are so hellbent on going extinct in the name of "economic growth". The Chinese are a resourceful people, they will be fine iwht a little alone time.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Way too late for that when the virus has reached Indonesia, Thailand,, and let's be honest..africa.
    If they had isolated not China, but just Hubei in December that would have been very effective.

Unfortunately beauracrasy has allowed the virus to spread widely and nature doesn't wait for CCP approval.

Nook likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey guys, if the death rate on closed cases is at 18%...?

[​IMG]

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The previous largest increase was 4k in a day, how did this jump to 15k? Was this a normal update for did they just discover/release some new data?

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can't find it for now but some doctor was estimating the peak of the infections around 14th-20+ this month.

12. likestohypeguy

Kind of the latter it sounds...

"The latest increase was attributed to the country's new approach to counting patients. The Los Angeles Times reported that about 90 percent of the new cases were "clinically diagnosed"

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fo...s-patients-counted-with-new-method-report.amp

daywalker02 and ThatBoyNick like this.
  13. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I read a little bit more and the giant increase was due to a change

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/world/asia/china-coronavirus.html

daywalker02 likes this.
  14. TMac'n

TMac'n Contributing Member

This sounds like CCP propaganda to me. They're changing their counting standards because they knew damn well that a much greater amount of people were infected.

I predict the number to spike in the coming days due to this "new counting standard", but it'll actually just be them trying to catch up to the real number of infected that they've known of all along

Nook and malakas like this.
  15. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

18. malakas

malakas Member

They went from one extreme to the other extreme in 1 day that's why.

First they refused to include those who were tested positive with the test kits, if they didnt have symptoms..the next day they include everyone who have symptoms even without having tested positive with the kits.

BOTH are scientifically inaccurate and wrong.

So in this number of cases, there will be a few people who have pneumonia due to other reasons. However how many could they be?
    At least this new number is much closer to reality than before.
    Still the tip of the iceberg of course.

But at least pragmatically it is much better, since now the hospitals can't turn them away and can receive treatment. Until now unless someone were in their deathbed, they didn't even get a test and were sent home.

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  19. mick fry

mick fry Member