1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

If your opinion is that getting out of Nene/Green's expiring contract is more valuable than a 1st round pick (from a basketball standpoint), then we'll have to agree to disagree.

2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Read the friggin article. Russ and Clint are not efficient in PnR for whatever reason. Russ was more efficient with Adams.

But he most efficient play is Harden iso.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

tbh them wasting active roster spots on the bench all year long, when they were never going to see the actual floor was just that. A complete waste.

Now the rockets have 2 roster spots to add to this team and fill some necessary gaps. I guess we will have to agree to disagree then

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

They could have simply cut them if and when they found someone they wanted to take their spots. It did not require using a 1st round pick to open rosters spots.

Having an additional 1st round pick to entice other teams to trade for players to fill those necessary gaps would be a lot more useful than not. Its being "reported" that the Rockets are now offering their 2022nd pick to acquire players to fill those gaps.

5. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I read the article. We gave it what 20 games? New teammates. I would be willing to bet they would have figured it out. James started going away from the PNR last year on favor of isos

snowconeman22 likes this.
  6. YOLO

YOLO Member

if so, why weren't they just cut before this then? they were moving parts in this trade, especially when green had to sign off the deal and waive his no trade in the first place

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

refer again to cluch's tweet that I posted. That tweet implies that they weren't cut and were traded along with the 1st round pick simply for luxury tax savings which all of my posts and critques have been predicated on.

IMO 1st round pick > luxury tax saving in helping the Harden/WB/Covington. You seem to disagree.

riko likes this.
  8. riko

riko Member

Covington playing tomorrow night?

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

maybe/maybe not

riko likes this.
  10. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...hanging-trade-Rockets-make-small-15032879.php

A person with knowledge of the team’s plans said there had been talks about subsequent trades if the Covington trade worked well before Tuesday’s agreement with the Rockets holding a list of players to target, some that would push them back over the tax threshold. That includes, but is not limited, to centers to replace Capela.

D-rock and joshuaao like this.
  11. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

If the Rockets end up going over the tax a lot of yall gonna eat crow for dissing The Til Man

Rudyc281, joshuaao and bmd like this.
  12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I'd imagine most if not all posters (myself included) would gladly eat crow if that happens.

I know we've seen/posted the luxury tax savings jersey many times but I doubt anyone is really rooting for it lol.

Icehouse likes this.
  13. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

I’ll go back for seconds and thirds if that **** happens.

For now, Tilman’s actions speak louder than his words and his actions have told me LTS is his #1 priority.

14. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We will all eat CROW if that happens but his actions speak otherwise. So I'm confident saying it ain't happenin

15. Juxtaposed Jolt

I wish someone could change this thread title. Every time I go onto the main page and see "deal done," I think it's a new, non-Covington related deal and my anxiety rises...

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I will gladly eat crow. I’d also love to eat crow watching Bill O’Brien on a fire truck during a Super Bowl parade. Not impossible, but it doesn’t make either of those things great bets.

17. Buck Turgidson

Landry's doesn't sell crow, we'll have to settle for barnacles, "the crow of the sea".

JeffB likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Because he had to genius. CP3, Clint, EGo were all injured for massive stretches.

Holy crap, what an ingrate.

19. ksny15

ksny15 Member

No ****. Obviously when they came back and in the playoffs. Hence CP3 verbally getting on Harden for the style of play. We could have beaten GSW last year had they went back to what actually worked in the playoffs the year prior.

20. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Exactly, AND russ was clearly 75 % at the beginning of the year and Capela has been in and out as of late. Lets hope Clint passes the physical and that MDA didnt run him in the ground by playing him 40 min every game directly after coming back from injury.