1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

you answered your own question. relax.

chievous minniefield likes this.
  2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You guys keep mentioning this ****. The Rockets didn't have time to develop RoCo. He was able to develop a lot by playing in the era of "trust the process" in Phila which probably helped him grow into the player he is today. Those Phila teams were absolute trash in their quest to tank for multiple years. His trajectory would have likely been different had the Rockets kept him.

3. amaru

amaru Member

Agreed. Plus Shaq hates the trade. So that means it’s good.

BigMaloe, hieuytran, Nook and 7 others like this.
  4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets have no matching salaries now for a trade that actually matters.

Buyout is the option, and that's always a toss up. Lakers/Clippers will be the preferred destination for the big targets. We'll have to hope for a good fitting player.

D-rock likes this.
  5. HP3

HP3 Member

What a dick head.

D-rock, Nook and kjayp like this.
  6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

So no word if the SRP is a 2020 unprotected from Minny? Be really nice if it is Atlanta's.

[edit]

#266 heypartner, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

some people just aren't able to see it, no matter how much they want to preach that they follow the game "so much".

its ok. the rest of the season will speak for itself

8. Nook

Nook Member

I wouldn’t assume it will go towards a center. They still would like another good wing. There will be centers available but Tucker and Covington will eat a lot of the minutes.

D-rock likes this.
  9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

Random theories...
    • Hartenstein could have been a tradable asset, but Rockets weren't playing him so there would be no demand or interest while they snagged Covington. Now that Capela is gone, he'll get minutes and small-ball talk will wane some.
    • Morey is going to force D'Antoni to play Hartenstein through lack of options. Next step... PJ Tucker minutes restriction.
    Big, big, big concern... Tucker has a messed up shoulder, hasn't been able to shoot, is playing HEAVY minutes, and now is going to get beaten up by centers instead of power forwards.

10. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bell is a 5 dude.

1: Russ, Rivers
    2: Harden, EGo, McLemore
    3: RoCo, House
    4: Tucker, Thabo
    5: Bell, Harty, Tyson

Smallball line up:

Russ, Harden, EGo, RoCo, Tucker

11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i don't think we got enough for Clint (a 14/14 center just starting to hit his prime on a value contract). I do like covington; he upgrades the 3 spot offensively and defensively. But i absolutely hate the way Tillman continues to give up picks for lux tax savings. And it's not just Tillman. i have lost track how many first rounders Morey has tossed away over the years. The team just doesn't value draft picks and they don't believe in developing players. It continues to be a big weak point in Morey's GM philosophy.

daywalker02, Hank McDowell and bj3175 like this.
  12. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

I don’t know how I feel about the actual trade because we gave up the best player and w first round pick.....

with that said I bet the Rockets take off and start smoking teams again like the 65 win team.

we can no legit switch everything.

for all the harden hate On D he is the reason we can switch because he’s so strong and good at guarding centers.

I have a strange feeling that the rockets while they did give up a lot imo they are about to start smacking teams around again.

russ and harden with an open paint with 3 shooters on the outside waiting plus the elite switching style D is Back.

that style is what got us a hamstring away from a chip.

I understand why Morey made this move.

13. JW86

JW86 Member

Morey did well all things considered and pick doesn’t seem to be bad situation with the 2nd round pick coming back. I do think Morey doesn’t give a F about our future and he’s doing what the owner wants. He might be done here in Houston and that’s worse.

Welcome Robert, bring your shot from 76ers season back please!

D-rock and bj3175 like this.
  14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

"[​IMG]" - Mike D'Antoni

15. malakas

malakas Member

I don't believe that the move we wanted to make is Capela + FRP for Covington.

No matter how it is spinned this is a huge overpay.

tmoney1101 and kjayp like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Wherever he goes, I hope he has success.

17. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I get you. I really really do. Somehow my optimistic heart still believes that Tillman is just afraid of the repeater tax and not the luxury tax as a whole. The future was hamstrung by the Westbrook deal already imo its better to dig deeper and deeper than try to hedge that already deadly bet. I'm still hoping for another move. I doubt those open slots aren't filled by someone who'll at least play. Sad though I was hoping we could get Jabari or Bembry or Napier as throw ins at least.

D-rock likes this.
  18. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm attempting to look at this from a positive angle. I been highly critical of our owner and will continue doing so. I'm just saying, it could have been worse. I know Morey knows how to squeeze value out of an SRP, especially an early one.

Ultimately, I rather not give FRPs away but our owner is a tightwad so I can at least appreciate that Morey was able to squeeze something out of it.

don grahamleone likes this.
  19. icewill36

icewill36 Member

rudy gobert is putting up 15 and 14, bam is putting up 16 and 10, and both are going to the all star game.

clint is putting up 14 and 14. if yall dont think he is a better player than covington you're out of your mind. his production is basically top 5-7 at his position. we gave up him AND a FRP. we got bent over

Corrosion, Theking and withmustard like this.
  20. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

OK, I'm ridiculous. Someone is either a visionary or an idiot... we'll find out soon.

kjayp, robbie380, D-rock and 2 others like this.