1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deal done: Rockets trade Capela for Covington in 4-team deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Feb 4, 2020.

1. TilmanFinancialWindfall

you do realize there's plenty of minutes as a backup C and PF. KAT isn't play 48 minutes. Plenty of minutes for EG, McLemore, and Austin even with Harden and Russ

icewill36 likes this.
  2. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

If l was Morey, I would honestly consider leaving at this point. Every year we are told he has the financial freedom to do what he needs to win and every year he ends up making a trade that puts the team under the luxury tax.

Now I could be wrong. Maybe Morey really thinks staying under the luxury tax is extremely important, but I’m pretty sure he is being forced to do it. And if he is, it HAS to get tiring and old.

HP3 and kjayp like this.
  3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

[edit] 2nd round pick is a 2024.

#243 heypartner, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
  4. KJ9

KJ9 New Member

So basically the trade is Capela plus 1st round pick for Roco, wtf can this happen.....

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

...on a teammate's toes.

Only way Mike is playing him lulz..

snowconeman22 and amaru like this.
  6. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

I like RoCo a lot, but he gets injured easily. Does he still have toothpick legs?

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, in terms of assets the Rockets got owned big time here.

Which isn't even shocking considering they lost every trade they made from when Tilman bought the team.

pippendagimp likes this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

"It really is not that bad"

Sure. I guess. We have a team allegedly competing for a championship but feverishly cutting any and all corners just to save a little more money along the way. It's not that bad, but is it what we want a contending team to do?

The optics are the problem. You are signaling as an owner that even in your biggest and best opportunity, money is more important than competitive advantages.

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

This is the deal I expected and I am happy with it.

Covington is an elite role player that excels at what our greatest weaknesses are. His addition is big for the Rockets.

The Rockets are not done either. They will make one or two other additions most likely.

This trade helps in a lot of regards. Tucker can play less minutes. Our defense is better. Our transition defense is better which means we can run more. The spacing on the floor is better. There are more line up possibilities.

The Rockets are just better.

Deuce, IvanLCPM, CXbby and 23 others like this.
  10. TilmanFinancialWindfall

if you mean , dumbass clueless position basketball...that's Bell's defense.

Highlight shot blocking isn't defense...look at Josh Smith...tons of Blocks and Steals...but so clueless

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It is kind of nice for Bob Covington to work in the same city as his dad Bob O'Brien.

J.R. likes this.
  12. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

with 2 open spots .... that will truly determine our success ultimately this year

Maury has to hit a homerun in the buyout market or a trade tomorrow

D-rock likes this.
  13. ch44

ch44 Member

Take a deep breath everyone. This isn't the last move the Rockets are going to make and you can't always solve all of your problems in 1 move.

It will be super interesting to see what is next. Green and Nene were dead weight this season, so that's a positive freeing up their spots. We went from $5.2M over the tax to $5.8M under it. That's obviously a key factor here, but now we have $5.8M in "room" to pick up talent without going over the tax.

Rockets will pick up 3 small TPEs - $3.595M, $2.564M, and $1.620M. I don't know the details of the picks yet, but I bet it's highly protected.

Capela for Covington is the move the Rockets wanted to make. I liked him, but he's replaceable. What we had wasn't working.

Deuce, IvanLCPM, itzIce and 39 others like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

What exaggeration are you speaking of?

Covington is injured every other day.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

He knows this. That's the con.

16. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Rockets Lineup as of now:

Westbrook / Rivers / Clemons
    Harden / McLemore / Frazier
    Gordon / House / Bell
    Covington / Sefolosha / Williams
    Tucker / Hartenstein / Chandler

fckbandwagons likes this.
  17. pass_to_Hakeem

Lol @ big loss

18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Exactly!!

Rockets need another 3-D forward with length, preferably a 4/5.

Morey should inquire with 76ers about 6'10 Jonah Bolden.

DeBeards and fckbandwagons like this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

they will use him at some point

20. Clips/Roxfan

Clips/Roxfan Member

Snap Judgement: Wolves, Hawks, Nuggets, Rockets swing four-team deal

[​IMG]
    By Zach Harper 15m ago

Houston Rockets receive Robert Covington, Jordan Bell, second-round pick

The Houston Rockets already took 3-point shooting to an extreme. I guess they’re going to take small ball to an extreme on top of it. It wasn’t long ago that Clint Capela was an integral part of this Rockets future. He was the rolling big man, who also protected the paint and owned the boards. After signing a five-year, $90 million contract in 2018, the Rockets started falling apart a bit. They went from contender to frustrated entity. They focused more on MVP awards for James Harden and playing hall monitor for the NBA’s officiating with league memos and audits. Tilman Fertitta buying the team has turned them into a cost-cutting venture, rather than a hungry contender looking to put themselves over the top.

Daryl Morey is good at looking for advantages within the margins, and his margins have been shrunken by new ownership. The Rockets have looked surprisingly better and more of their own ideal self-portrait when playing a bunch of forwards instead of centers. So at least for the rest of the season, the Rockets shipping Capela to Atlanta and going super small with Robert Covington and PJ Tucker as their main big men will test just how brilliant their small ball lineups can be. Covington at least keeps the defensive identity of Capela in a much different way. Instead of protecting the paint and being a dominant rebounder, Covington is a good rebounder for his size and has some of the most active hands in the NBA.

Covington allows the Rockets to stretch the floor at all times. He’s a streaky shooter from deep, but ultimately an above average one. And he can stop a lot of action from getting to the rim on defense with his great positioning and his deflections. I have no idea if the Rockets are better off for this deal. They save money short-term and long-term with this deal. They sink deeper into an extreme identity that might just be weird enough to catch some teams off-guard. But when they face the Los Angeles Lakers or the Denver Nuggets, I’m not sure how they get by with Jordan Bell and whatever Isaiah Hartenstein is. Personally, I wouldn’t expect either to play much.

Either way, the Rockets are trying to be very different, and this time it means nobody over 6-foot-8 on the floor.

Grade: B

https://theathletic.com/1584739/202...wks-nuggets-and-rockets-swing-four-team-deal/