1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[O'Connor] Sources: A three-way deal was discussed to send Robert Covington to Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sogood., Feb 3, 2020.

1. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

I remember the time when we got lou williams. It was fun, like the same feeling I had when we had Artest for a year. Good times

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I fear that Tristan Thompson will end up in Houston for Capela, since Tristan is on an expiring contract. Capela has 4 years left. It works on the ESPN Trade Machine.

Gray_Jay and amaru like this.
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I guess we will just take both of them

Rocket River

4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Huh, you're right. I could have sworn they needed to send out more salary to get TT. Wrong.

Still results in the Rockets gaining 3.6 in salary, so that won't happen. Probably means House and someone else gets added to Capela though. I can't see the Rockets dumping Capela to gain payroll, even if TT is expiring.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  5. saleem

I did take that into consideration. I'm expressing my fear. If this results in having to pay luxury tax, then it won't happen imo.

D-rock and malakas like this.
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Subtract the "imo" and you've got it.

My own fear is that practically nothing happens, we get a disgruntled Capela back on a team with a disgruntled lame-duck coach, and the same Morey speech,

"We had a couple of things we were looking at, we were close, we like our team as is and feel we can compete for a championship, no I didn't make that trade-dump to get under the tax, flexibility flexibility, buy low sell high, blahbitty f**king blahbitty blah the only difference between one season trade deadline and the next is the size of my chin or the amount of salt-and-pepper in the beard I wear to hide that chin."

8. saleem

:)

9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The fact that this has been leaked--to Kevin O'Connor of all people--means that it most likely won't happen which would be a good thing given we get nothing more than Covington back.

FYI, I like O'Connor's writing and his podcast assignments on The Ringer but a Woj/Shams insider he is not. Not saying his information isn't accurate but if it reached to his level then the ship has probably sailed on the trade.

HP3 and Gray_Jay like this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This would be a "Lets get worse" trade.

DD

saleem likes this.
  11. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Thing is, we're pretty sure Fertitta won't pay tax this year. Dumping Capela for an expiring means he won't pay it any year. Currently, and this needs someone like Bima to set me straight, spotrac has the Rockets 320,000 over the tax line. That will be cut when they move Nene (2.56 million) for magic beans. Capela's got a million in unlikely incentives too (500k for >65% FT, 500k for >30% defensive rebound rate and >2,000 minutes played). Assuming Capela doesn't reach those, when Nene gets dumped, they'll have ~ 2.2 million in space below the tax.

I guess they could move Capela and X player for TT, Nene for trash, and so long as X is over 2.2 million, they skip paying tax this year, and likely skip paying it ever.

12. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

what a sad and sobering reality this is.

JoeBarelyCares, HP3 and Gray_Jay like this.
  13. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Flip Capela for picks and flip picks to minny for KAT.

14. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Completely agree.

IMHO: If all y'all want Fertitta to treat this like a championship team, pray that China overcomes this epidemic in short order, and starts listening appreciatively to Fertitta's ideas about a Golden Nugget Macao, and a Rainforest Cafe---now serving actual Rainforest animals!---in every Chinese city. Because that, and I think only that, will bring in enough money for him to spend more than, say, Robert Sarver.

Until then? I think he'll only do enough to keep the meter running, and just enough to keep Harden from bolting to a true contender. NBA profits are only loosely correlated with team competitiveness. As we're about to see.

Please prove me wrong, Mr. Fertitta.

Corrosion and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  15. Reeko

Reeko Member

when I see the Rockets trying to do 3 or 4 team deals, my instinct is to just check out...in my mind, it ain’t happening

getting back just Covington for Capela should fetch multiple people in the FO multiple slaps...I need a good wing and a decent C for Capela without losing any picks at the very least

16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I really think you are all getting dupped by other teams making up rumors.

"How do we get Capela cheap?? I know, let's put out rumors that Houston would be willing to trade him for a bag of potato chips! Then all the offers will be relatively cheap and we can swoop in and provide at least something of value but still get him cheap!"

Normally I'd say that this won't work.

But I'm concerned DM has also checked out mentally to an extent with Tilman, HK tweet, going at it with this core for years, the MDA situation, being forced to trade for Russ, etc, etc.

saleem and JoeBarelyCares like this.
  17. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

Bye bye Clint. I just don't see the Rockets not trading him after all the chatter.

18. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

I would love to have him back but trading Cap for just him in just plain cheap

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, it is a big for a small - and it is not a difference maker.

DD

darksoul35 likes this.
  20. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Regrets, but - I was never comfortable with MWP née RA as a Rock. Happy for the Democrats facto trade’ for TA. Unhappy for MWP née RA putting the dagger in for Lakes the ensuing June.