1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

James Click is new GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dockerland, Feb 3, 2020.

1. mightybosstone

Great move. I feel like I can finally exhale a little regarding this team for the first time since Lunhow and Hinch were fired. I'd love to see him make a move or two before the start of the season so we can get back to talking baseball again and stop worrying about Twitter backlash for a while.

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think he’s in the grizzlies front office right now. At what capacity I don’t know. There were just too many bizarre moves during his time. Like turning down all those picks from Boston to draft Kaminsky??

3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

One of the best organizations in baseball to be poaching from. I am much more excited about this hire than I was Dusty. Maybe the media will now bury the hatchet?

Penance sounds like it's over. Finally.

4. Nook

Nook Member

This was just about the best outcome for the Astros.

Click has a strong reputation around the game as an honest and competent baseball man. That will satisfy MLB and should limit nasty articles.

Click is bright and was a big supporter of Rays targeting top international talent including the Rays top prospect. He was part of a three headed monster in Tampa that ran the organization. No one has said this too me, but I suspect we will see even more emphasis put on top level international prospects.

Also, Crane had no choice but to fire Hinch and Luhnow. MLB made that clear... and he threw red meat to the media with the hiring of Baker. Click is a different animal. He is the more important hire and shows Crane intends to be savvy.

5. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Anyone else notice the Click movie is being advertised in the Amazon ads between the last post on the page and the comment box? lol

Great hiring. Not sure how long Dusty Baker will be here as he’s nearing the century mark but I’m very happy with Click.

And an even better chance we’re as good with Click as we would’ve been with Luhnow ;)

RKREBORN, awc713 and everyday eddie like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

That's interesting.

The one way the Stros can make up for the loss of picks over the next couple of years is to go heavy after international talent.

They've never really done that yet.

texans1095, dockerland, King1 and 3 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

With the Rays, because three people all collaborated before any decisions were made, it is hard to know who exactly did what.
    However someone currently still employed with the Astros in player development said Click was known as a big supporter of Rays targeting top end international talent. He was a big supporter of spending nearly 4 million to sign Wander Franco at barely 16 years old. He also pushed for Marte as well.

So I would not be shocked if we change our approach and go head to head with the Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs and Rangers for blue chippers now.

8. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Absolutely love the hire. Totally ready for the season to start now. Almost there...

htwnbandit, awc713, King1 and 3 others like this.
  9. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Well I guess Crane isn’t “MLBs b****” , LOL . Good for JC,

I officially feel like we can exhale, take a calm breath and get excited for the actual game of baseball vs the game of blame.

10. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Very nice. Well played Astros.

Rock Block likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Ehh he hired someone that has a good reputation within the game. He just had far less latitude than someone else replacing a GM. He did make a pick for a guy that is very progressive and fits the existing model, which is extremely encouraging as he clearly wants to remain cutting edge.

At this point the key is to see if he can keep all the others in the organization on the same page. He has extremely talented people around him now and needs to get them focused.

itzIce likes this.
  12. Buck Turgidson

9 days until pitchers and catchers

mikol13, weakfromtoday and Madmanmetz like this.
  13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

As a Houston sports fan this is the best news I've gotten in months. I feel like I can exhale about the future of the franchise. Crane was put in an extremely tough spot, and it certainly seems like he did what he had to with the firing and PR manager hire. But he didn't throw the baby out with the bathwater because he knew what was working for this franchise.

Obviously no guarantee this works out, but he seems like as good a hire as possible if we want to keep this amazing infrastructure moving in the same direction.

IowaAstro, itzIce, Rock Block and 7 others like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

8 days until pitchers and catchers

Chilly_Pete and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I think he is in a great situation. Putila probably never missed a beat preparing for the draft. J2 stuff for this year has likely been decided for awhile. The big league roster is in great shape.

The likelihood of an int’l draft after next season makes this hire even better. They won’t have to go head to head with NY/LA, they can draft those guys instead. Perfect time to focus on that area since the field will be level soon.

Main thing I will be watching is to see if he makes any major trades before opening day (Correa, adding a pitcher).

Nook likes this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Andrew Friedman made that Culture with Rays, with Analytics. Andrew is gone.

The Analytic Tree dropped a Fruit for the Astros.

17. SemisolidSnake

LOL, never.

But if you guys universally think this is a great hire, I guess I'm excited. Stealing from the Rays seems like a good idea; they're a good org.

18. Buck Turgidson

What kind of gibberish is this?

19. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I think the rotation is most likely set until the trade deadline. McCullers, Urquidy & Pruitt at the backend. McCullers will be limited too 120 innings this season, so at some point in the season and into the playoffs he’s going to be used from the pen. Whitley will get a chance if he dominates In the spring and AAA. Plenty of in-house options to maybe find a gem. Plenty of likely starters being shopped at the deadline.

20. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

hired in Tampa by Hunsicker