1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we collectively stop undervaluing Clint?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Feb 3, 2020.

1. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

He is who he is, in terms of perceived value, in part because of Beard. I think he's a quality rim-running 5 on a friendly deal, but movable. Now just happens to be a good time to move him.

D-rock, steddinotayto and J.R. like this.
  2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think the issue isn't that we overrate or underrate Clint--it's we're underrating or overrating the possible/hypothetical returns for Clint. It's definitely a complex calculus because you're only looking to deal Clint as a player of cap/talent significance but you're also looking for specific players in return: a 3&D player and also Clint's eventual replacement.

Any other year a rumored Bryant/Bertans package would make people laugh but both players fill the first need (players who can space the floor), a second need (adding depth to the frontcourt without a significant drop off in offense/defense) and maybe even a third need (two smaller contracts to use in future potential trades). Of course i'd love to have a Covington/Collins or Hunter/Collins package but we would then be overvaluing Capela, by himself, as a player right?

J Sizzle and Verbal Christ like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Capela is offensively spoonfed by James/CP3/Russ, soft, got punk'd by Kevon Looney and always has an excuse. He got a virus, he got a foot injury, he got this, he got that.

Since 2016-17, they're 32-18 without him.

But he is the only guy they'll play above 6'5; they should not give him away; they should not trade for LTS.

16-17
    65 games | 59 starts (11-6)

17-18
    74 games | 74 starts (3-5)

18-19
    67 games | 67 starts (9-6)

19-20
    39 games | 39 starts (9-1)

J Sizzle and ElPigto like this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

You cannot love CP3 and madd we did not retain him . . . . and call signing him a Gaffe

One or the other

Rocket River

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Add picks to those bottom trades to make it work.

Morey has 2 FRP to add to Capela.

Capela + 1 or 2 FRP + Nene should be enough for Collins and Covington and it makes us better now and in the future.

6. steddinotayto

You can add however many picks you want but the math still does not add up. Atlanta needs to move another ~$10 million in player salaries to make that work. So now you're looking at more players on the move that Atlanta might not want to part with (e.g. Hunter, Reddish, etc.).

I don't mean to be a Debbie Downer but that's just reality.

7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Oh don't worry, I realize this.

I'm not talking trades, I'm talking pieces.

Nene being added is to lower salary further if we get covington.

Len, Graham ... there are plenty of terrible players the Hawks can add to trades.

steddinotayto likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I see any Capela trade a L for us if we don't get back at least a John Collins + elite 3&D wing.

Ppl here may or may not agree that Capela has played up to his contract but he is definitely on a pretty bargain multi-year deal.

If any trades happen, we're likely throwing away what's left of our future 1st rounders, so we're really going all "all-in" in this time.

I still think it won't be enough to beat the Lakers/Bucks in a 7 game series but I guess Morey is desperate here, he's basically going "**** it" if we don't win with this final build, then we'll never win anything here before I get fired by Tilman.

D-rock likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

10. steddinotayto

Here's a trade I'd do in a heartbeat:

Houston gets:
    Holmes
    Bogdanovic
    Bjelica

Sacramento gets (Turner is a huge 18 million that comes off their books):
    Turner
    Collins

Atlanta gets:
    Capela
    Nene

Then Houston moves 1 FRP, 1 SRP, Thabo and Bjelica to Minnesota for Covington.

And, yes, it all works out in the trade machine.

treyk3 likes this.
  11. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

I’m sorry, but, if anything, Clint Capela is overrated by most of this board. He’s in his sixth NBA season and hasn’t put in the work to improve his offensive skills. Defensively, he’s better than most centers at switching, but he’s still a liability against smaller players on the perimeter because they are quicker than him. He also is soft in the paint and struggles against physical players.

His positives are he’s athletic, has good hands, runs the floor well, and is a good weak side shot blocker.

I’d much rather have Marcus Smart, an elite, versatile defender, than Clint Capela in today’s NBA. If the Rockets can trade Capela for a strong perimeter defender with the versatility to play well in a switching defensive scheme along with a lesser, but competent rim-running replacement in Richaun Holmes or Nerlens Noel, they would be a much better team.

#31 DVauthrin, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    pr0wler likes this.
  12. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Nah he gone

13. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

In B4 the Clint Capela Appreciation Tread

juanm34 likes this.
  14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I said SIGNING him to a 40m contract was a Gaffe, then making it even WORSE was trading his bad contract for a longer bad contract in Westbrook - so yeah, I can....

2 wrongs did not make a right.

The team with CP3 would have been a ride or die, but we should never have given him a 4 year max deal in the first place.

DD

15. pr0wler

pr0wler Member

lol, I always get a chuckle when I hear Russ referred to as a 6'3'' center. And it is absolutely an accurate description.

CDrex, hakeem94 and treyk3 like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's gone.

I just hope it's for a big return!

sammy and DVauthrin like this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

The only good player morey drafted and kept I want to add because he threw away every pick he had. Capela is unique I agree on all your points especially beating these other centers running the floor and great help defense when they drive on us in the paint. To me a lot of fans are neglecting capela is a model citizen, great locker room guy and team mate. Those intangibles are very important and shouldn’t be overlooked. If morey does replace him hopefully he gets quality personnel with intangibles beyond just basketball.

treyk3 likes this.
  18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

He should be undervalued because his value has decreased in the playoffs each of the last two years. The team has little depth and needs another player they can count on for 35+ minutes a night in the playoffs and that isn't Capela. When it matters the most he isn't someone that has to be on the court and that's a problem.

19. RocketRoller

RocketRoller Member

He's 25. He's gotten better every season. He fits perfectly with our HOFer. You don't trade a guy like that.

Sanctity likes this.
  20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Offensive improvement? have you watched Rudy gobert play? Also what true center can guard on the perimeter consistently? And those great hands you mentioned caught a lot of crazy harden and Westbrook passes from going out of bounds.