1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can we collectively stop undervaluing Clint?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by treyk3, Feb 3, 2020.

1. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He is 25.
    He is 6 foot 10.
    His wingspan is 7 foot 5
    His ability to sprint the floor as a big man is unmatched.
    13.9 Points
    13.8 Rebounds - 4th in the NBA
    1.8 blocks. - 8th in the NBA

He plays solid defense on a team that doesn't play defense. He's asked to do everything to make up for the lack of effort on defense from three out of five players on the court. Elston Turner is not good, Capela is not in a position to look good on defense.

Just because he doesn't fit with Russ doesn't mean we should take these bottom feeder's unwanteds so that we can save money on the luxury tax and pretend like it's an improvement.

The return on Clint Capela is going to dictate what happens in the James Harden era.

This is Morey's last chance to put the pieces together.

If Washington wants CC they should give up Rui.
    If Atlanta wants CC they should give up Collins or Hunter.
    If Boston wants CC they should give up Smart and every pick they have.
    If the Kings want CC they should give up Bogdan and Holmes.

Players like CC don't grow on trees. We need to stop undervaluing him. We all sound like someone who has been slandering him for years. I hope Morey doesn't undervalue him like all of you are. I hope he gets a big return this week for a player we have all undervalued.

#1 treyk3, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Clint is not that special. The Warriors proved that.

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And what about the Jazz and the Wolves before that in 2018 when he completely dominated?

The Warriors were the one team equipped to completely negate him.

The Warriors are gone.

I don't think CC fits here because of Russ and his lack of spacing but CC can be a center on a championship team.

His contract is very team friendly and his skillset is incredibly rare.

This is about his trade value more than whether we should hold on to him.

He belongs in the East where he can completely dominate.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Can he shoot the three?

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

see my post above.

"I don't think CC fits here because of Russ and his lack of spacing but CC can be a center on a championship team."

and even in the original post.

"Just because he doesn't fit with Russ doesn't mean we should take these bottom feeder's unwanteds so that we can save money on the luxury tax and pretend like it's an improvement."

D-rock likes this.
  6. KingCheetah

No.

napalm06 likes this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

what kind of BS reductive response is that?

Clint can't shoot, so therefor he doesn't fit. He fits on other teams who don't have $40 million a season dedicated to a 6-3 center. That doesn't mean he's not a good player. It just means he doesn't fit. His trade value is high.

8. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

You also need to stop over valuing him.

Step back and look at the actual big picture. You need to think about what Clint's presence means in the floor out there based on the personnel we are running.

Westbrook and Clint is going to be a crutch in the playoffs. It is easier to defend a system in this day and age that has two weak shooters. There is a reason that Mike opts to go with the small ball line ups as much as some of us hate them. Reason is that you are putting 4 other shooters in with Russ.

Considering our current state, the reality is that the Rockets do not have a chance to go past the 2nd round of the playoffs. It will be too easy for defenses to double Harden and pack the paint and dare Russ to shoot while taking Capelas strength at catching the lob.

Capela is our only real value asset and the fact is that he is a good player that can fit so well in certain systems. The Rockets can't try going out there with this team and expect to contend. It's just the truth. It's nothing negative about Capela, but his limitations offensively really make it hard for us to be the absolute best team out there. Defensively he still is no All NBA defense team guy, so whatever we lose there won't be the huge loss that everyone thinks.

Sometimes you have to roll the dice and risk ****. I think if get the right players, you need to ****ing roll the dice.

ak99999, jboslett, roxallways and 5 others like this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

This is literally what my post is about. His trade value not his value to the team.

Lawlruschang and clutchdabear like this.
  10. KingCheetah

Agreed.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Well this is the domino effect when Tilman decided to switch to wb on this team. It's obvious Harden needs 4 floor spacers on the court with him to maximize the potential of this offense with all the attention he gets. And this year he's gotten more than ever with all the constant traps and zone looks from the box and 1's to triangle 2's. Wb obviously isn't going anywhere, so here we are with CC. The rockets glaring issues go beyond CC on the defensive side. Not exactly a good position the rockets are in right now as far as being able to make moves to improve. CC is a good player who fit exactly what the rockets were before this year. He's basically the only avenue towards getting some kind of value if a trade were to happen, which ftr I don't think any significant moves are going to happen.

But if you're committed to wb and playing major minutes going small, how important really is CC at this point for the rockets if he isn't even playing much anymore.

clutchdabear, HP3, pr0wler and 3 others like this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Harden = lots of gravity
    Westbrook = not outside threat
    Tucker = not an offensive threat
    Capela = not an offensive threat
    House = streaky bench player
    Gordon = decent gravity

Facts above = problem

ak99999, Rocks92, Sanctity and 2 others like this.
  13. TimDuncanDonaut

He has high trade value. Even with this current Rocket group; he works hard on the boards and is a lob threat. If someone comes in, getting close to that same production is possible but may take time.

If he's traded, not only it better be a good haul, but one that the coach will play this year.

jcf, clutchdabear and D-rock like this.
  14. Greedydex

Greedydex Member

0-27= problem. Everything doesn’t have to be a 3. Smh

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

The bigger problem is that you can't just sit Capela when he is actually a good player. You essentially de-value him as an asset which would be even worse for us in the summer and a really stupid move.

They better move him before Thursday because his value is probably at the peak right now. We roll with him past trading deadline and there is a huge chance that we are going to de-value him because Mike D will bench his ass in the playoffs and make it hard to get a really really good role player back in the summer.

16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Agreed.

That's why we should trade him but it's also why need to get guys who legitimately make us better.

"If Washington wants CC they should give up Rui.
    If Atlanta wants CC they should give up Collins or Hunter.
    If Boston wants CC they should give up Smart and every pick they have.
    If the Kings want CC they should give up Bogdan and Holmes."

Also Kuzma and Holmes would be a good return with Bogdan going to LA.

We need a young guy with upside for CC and we need someone who can eat minutes now. We are the oldest team in the league. Capela is one of our younger players. We need to try to get players who fit in better now and have higher upside later even if they aren't the better players now. We have 2 draft picks to attach to get guys like Collins and Covington in a single move.

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I think some on here definitely undervalue Clint. He's not garbage. He's a legitimate Top 10 Center. Having said that...Center is by far the most replaceable position on the court, and $15M could be better spent elsewhere at a more important position. I also think you are overvaluing him. I don't think those teams you listed make those trades from their POV.

I do hope that we only trade him if the right deal comes along. He's still a good asset and I hope we do not sell low.

clutchdabear, D-rock, cdxiong and 2 others like this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is the only asset we have that we can flip as this team is not good enough, once 2 things happened his days were numbered.

1. We signed CP3 to a massive 40m a year contract locking up our cap.

2. Daryl Tweeting about China - causing the cap to drop even further.

We are locked in to a team that is just not good enough and he is the only tradeable asset we have that can possibly make us better - he has to be traded.....I am sure they feel that Harty can give you 80% of what Capela does.......

Anyway, those 2 gaffes by our GM have cost us dearly.

DD

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Capela's issues are as follows:
    1. On Offense he is a one trick pony. Jump Hook, Put backs that are not dunks and anything beyond 2 feet is a crap shoot. He fumbles more passes of recent that I have seen before. If he not rebounding he can be taken completely out of the game seemingly easily.
    2. he gets bullied too much this year. Strong Centers or more determined centers treat him like a b****. He dominated other non dominant centers like Jokic and Gobert. They are all the same passive breed. Adams, Looney, even McGee are put him to the strap

Capela is a good center but he is not top 5 and maybe not even top 10 in the league.
    With a little playing time and some weight room . . .there is no reason we could not get the same from Hartenstein

https://cascadiasn.com/nba/ranking-the-2019-20-starting-nba-centers/

They have him at 8
    but even they are nervous about that

Brook Lopez is at #10 and he would be better on this squad than Capela
    Esp considering I new Small line up . . .. Replace House with Lopez
    and we get better 3 pt shooting it seems and better rebounding

Favors are 12, Dummond at 14 Whiteside at 16 Hell Tristan Thompson at 18 could be Capela equals

Rocket River

J.R. and Verbal Christ like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah that's the thing, he's actually a good player and is able to contribute to winning but if he's not physically playing much bc of lineup issues or what have you, then for the rockets specifically what does that say about paying this guy to be your starting center who all of a sudden seems to be the one who could possibly be sent somewhere else. i don't see them being able to pull the trigger but it's also sucks if CC is just wasted here too

pr0wler and ElPigto like this.