1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lillard & Harden's insane scoring stretches

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Feb 2, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

So Lillard is setting records the last 5 games, much like Harden was last year. Difference is that Harden was basically hot for most of the year, you pick several 5 or 10 game stretches where he did very similar things to Lillard or even better. With a lot of people saying they've never seen this before I really wonder if they're just quick to forget or you know, because it's Harden.

I haven't really watched Lillard, but do know he's crazy hot from 3 and shooting from the logo against us, so while we can appreciate them in their own right, what are some of the differences people see? If Lillard keeps this up for a few more games, you reckon he can break some records Harden set or be in the same convo as Harden & Wilt / Kobe / MJ as the only ones who've done it? Are you more impressed with Harden's or Lillard's performance in any 5 game stretch and why?

I'm also wondering how this era affects all of this as I'm honestly not even impressed by all of this by Lillard, Doncic or Trae Young with what Harden did last year. We've seen Kobe and Tracy insane scoring in the 2000s, Iverson and maybe Ray Allen and a Dirk / Duncan / Shaq had probably some insane stretches during that era. Then in the 90s MJ probably had a few etc, but nothing like today.

Nowadays it seems nothing crazy to have a player score 40 a few times in the span of 5-10 games, though this by Lillard and Harden last year and even this year is up there with Kobe's 06 stretch from what I can remember. Curry had a stretch probably as well, but it's becoming more frequent for sure. Are these guys just that good and it would not have mattered which era, since they all score from way beyond the 3pt line and Harden's stepback with or without hand checking would likely get the same result. Maybe even more fouls, though they might have been called in previous eras. Or are they the result of a growing tendency to more 3pt shots, less physical defense, more space? Or just a combination of both?

D-rock likes this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Different players though.

Lillard is the prototypical SG type of PG, much like Jru Holiday now but on roids.

Harden is the beefy guard that looks like a football player who cracked the cheat code.

Both assassins, one more silent than the other.

#2 daywalker02, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    J Sizzle, xaos and Lawlruschang like this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

I am not impressed because Lillard is doing it with the help of a real coach

4. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Lillard has done it for 6 games...Harden did it for a month

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I don’t like the “different, stat inflated” era logic a ton.

yes, stat are inflated. But not because of some random thing that isn’t their own doing. The players - across the board - have gotten way better at shooting from distance. That has led to an increase in volume that coaches are cool with and an crease in pace to help space the floor and keep up the volume.

put more simply... yes Dame is shooting lots of threes, he’s also hitting them from near half court with consistency. That’s skill.

might MJ or Kobe or whomever also have gotten good in this way had they grown up and played in this era?? Almost definitely. But they didn’t.

dreamshakin, Easy, D-rock and 6 others like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Sorry to be dense, but when you say “last year,” are you meaning late 2019 (“year”) or last season?

seems like forever, but harden was tearing it up like you describe earlier this season (AND last season for that matter). For a heck of a lot longer.

D-rock likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

I meant last season, though earlier this year he had a good stretch too. Always good to clarify. Indeed last year he was hot for most it as I acknowledged.

jcf likes this.
  8. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

five star comment. strong work.

InfiniteEquatorialKingsnake-size_restricted.gif

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

greatness recognizes greatness!

10. Juxtaposed Jolt

The narrative for Lillard is there, just like it (kinda) was for Harden, last season.

- Team in DIRE need of a resurgence to get back into playoff contention? Check.
    - Superstar guard that's only known for offense and being a bad defender? Check.
    - Carmelo Anthony factor? Check. (lol)

Then, with the tragic news of Kobe dying...
    - Media wanting someone that resembles anything remotely Kobe-like? Check.

Then you factor in how Lillard barely makes the headlines and the fact that Kobe just passed, so #MambaMentality is at the forefront of NBA media, and boom. You get Logo Lillard.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lelz with no blushing of the face.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I am very much enjoying the media freaking out over Lillard’s 6 game stretch as opposed to mostly ignoring Harden doing the same over the course of something like 100 games.

D-rock, ryano2009, jcf and 2 others like this.
  14. dejamike

dejamike Member

Harden getting hate but Lillard getting loves.... I just saw on Sportscenter comparing him to Kobe... WTF... it’s ok though, I keep telling myself haters gonna hate.

15. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They using him like harden, putting whiteside in Capela position... lots of drive and lobs to open floor for Dame

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Rockets Legend Carmelo Anthony on Damian Lillard's dominance: 'Haven't seen that in a long time'

PORTLAND, Ore. -- Portland Trail Blazers All-Star Damian Lillard continued his historic streak of dominant play Saturday with his third 50-point performance in his past six games as the Blazers defeated the visiting Utah Jazz 124-107 to win their fourth consecutive game.

According to Elias Sports Bureau research, Lillard is the first player in NBA history to average better than 45 points and 10 assists over a six-game span. He has gone for at least 47 points in five of the six games, and had his first career triple-double (36 points, 11 assists, 10 rebounds) in the other one.

"I don't think we've ever seen anything like this," teammate Carmelo Anthony said. "We've seen great basketball, we've seen guys score the basketball in different fashions, but what he's doing, we haven't seen that in a long time.

"I'm just happy to be a part of it, be a fan of it."

Lillard's streak, which started with a career-high and franchise-record 61 points on Jan. 20 against the Golden State Warriors, has also been record-setting from beyond the arc. With nine more 3-pointers Saturday, his total of 49 surpassed Stephen Curry (46 in January 2019) for the most in NBA history over a six-game span.

While most of the attention has gone to Lillard's scoring -- his 293 points over the past six games is tied with Kobe Bryant (in March 2007) for third most over such a span behind a pair of overlapping streaks by James Harden last January -- his playmaking has also been crucial to Portland's success as opponents send traps and double-teams in Lillard's direction to try to take the ball out of his hands.

"Teams are trying to get more aggressive and make it harder for me," he said. "I'm just making the plays that I see. When I see them being aggressive, I'm not backing out. I'm going to continue being aggressive against it instead of just giving in to it. Cause a reaction -- pick out the helpside defenders and guys that are pulling over and trying to crowd the paint. Just moving the ball to where the help is coming from. Guys are making shots and making the right plays. It's pretty simple."

HTML:
    Player    First        Last       G     GS    MP    FG      FGA      FG%    3P    3PA      3P%      FT      FTA     FT%    ORB    DRB    TRB    AST    STL    BLK    TOV    PF      PTS    GmSc    +/-
    DL    2020-01-20    2020-02-01    6    6    40.2    15.3    28.0    .548    8.2    14.3    .570    10.0    10.8    .923    0.3    6.8    7.2    10.2   1.2    0.0    3.0    1.2    48.8    42.1    10.8
    JH    2019-01-13    2019-01-23    6    6    39.2    14.5    32.2    .451    5.2    17.2    .301    15.7    17.5    .895    2.7    6.8    9.5    5.5    2.8    0.8    5.0    3.7    49.8    37.1    4.0
    JH    2019-01-14    2019-01-25    6    6    38.7    14.2    31.0    .457    5.3    16.5    .323    15.7    17.3    .904    2.3    6.0    8.3    4.7    2.2    1.0    5.0    3.5    49.3    35.8    2.7

#16 J.R., Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Blurr#7 likes this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Anyone else notice that Portland/Lillard is doing the very same 4x4 strategy when Lillard gets doubled/trapped way out front.

Lillard will pass and just watch the play, not run around looking to get open anymore than Harden does.

So, that's two coaches now who employ the 4x4 strategy vs a trend to shadow superstars 30-40' out, even without the ball.

D-rock likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Actually that makes it more impressive. Lillard doesn't have the same offensive system where he can have a head 40% usage rate and dominate the ball as much as Harden.

19. fchowd0311

Lillard's game is more fun to watch. He doesn't do that "arms extended out to look like a foul" baiting nearly as much as Harden. He doesn't run into defenders on purpose nearly as much. He's quick and fun to watch.

20. fchowd0311

Emperically, Lillard scores a far greater percentage of his shots off ball than Harden.