1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans name new GM: Bob O’Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Carl Herrera, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Nobody is defending anything. However, whining and whining and whining about it is not going to change ****. If they are going to fail, let them FAIL. Then, changes will be made.

2. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I feel like it's fantastic news. I'll be able to continue laughing at the Texans for years.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

What do you consider failure?

Nook likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Missing playoffs, and/or under .500 record. Going 8-8.

Making playoffs....not winning atleast one game.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So then...according to you...the only two seasons O'Brien hasn't failed ended with the Texans getting blown out in the second round of the playoffs.

#165 bobrek, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    lw17 and Nook like this.
  6. King1

King1 Contributing Member

This is a joke. No defending it

Nook likes this.
  7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

We can still win division titles, as a mediocre franchise for BoB defenders like Scarface, those r our superbowls.

8. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I don't really care if BOB would actually become an OC somewhere else. I'm just curious if, after his time in Houston, any other team in the NFL thinks of him highly enough as an offensive mind to want him as their OC. Hypothetically, if BOB did want an OC job, would anybody even hire him?

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

This is where I’m at with all of this. There is a reason why most teams don’t have one guy as GM and head coach. It takes a really special person to do both jobs really well. Is Bill O’Brien that special? The guy can’t even figure out when to call a timeout. O’Brien says decision making is a collaboration between a number of people. But, O’Brien seems to want to reduce the number of collaborators. O’Brien doesn’t seem like someone who will place much value on other people’s opinions.

10. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I
    At no point in the last 2 years did I think the Texans were a Super Bowl team. This team had no Oline in 2018 and a Mismash Secondary in 2019. Injuries hurt both teams. Some of you had unrealistic expectations just because they had Deshaun. I think they can be a SuperBowl team with a healthy Oline and Will Fuller if O’Brien addresses the OC issue (giving up playcalling or hiring outside). I think the defense can be better with Weaver as DC.

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this is the most salient point, no other NFL Team has a HC/GM/Offensive Play Caller. Yes, Belichick has similar power, but he has a more competent staff around him and doesn't have the GM title. Each of these roles in the NFL takes expertise, experience and talent. It's like being the CEO/CFO and VP of Sales all in one--it's just too much for one person to successfully handle.

As I've said before, BOB surprises me sometimes and I think he's turned a corner. The Carlos Hyde trade was great. The fake screen and pass to Stills against KC was brilliant. But then you have the Clowney sell low trade. Then you get the I have no play for 4th down gaffe. I had a job where I was dual-hatted, one job I was highly qualified for and the other I was somewhat useful. I spent the first year of the two year assignment working 15-16 hour days and weekends. I made mistakes because I was tired and somewhat overwhelmed. I was lucky enough to get some awesome people the second year and they made my life much easier.

BOB has some NFL skills in all three areas, but from this fan's perspective I don't see him having the capability to successfully and consistently handle the demands of all three roles. Maybe he'll realize this and at least hand-off the play-calling duties or bring in a passing game coordinator. Maybe Caserio becomes the GM in May. Something has to give before the season or it will take its toll on BOB. If Cal has any experience as a leader, he should see it coming. With all of this responsibility and his famous temper this is a recipe for a heart attack or a volcanic event.

Sooty likes this.
  13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

If you read Belichick’s comments from last summer after he lost his last 2 DCs to HC jobs, he talked about needing to get more involved with the defense but eventually having to take a step back from it. It’s simply amazing that not only is BoB double/tripling down on himself, that Cal is letting him do so.

In all honesty, the best thing we can hope for is them hiring some contracts guy to help them navigate the upcoming deals. There is A LOT that can go wrong with one guy being the be all end all.

Shark44 likes this.
  14. Pringles

Pringles Member

This is like splitting on a pair of sixes in blackjack with the dealer showing a face card.

How the hell does he get a promotion after another divisional round loss?! Not to mention, we gave up our first round picks for the next few seasons to win now. Amazing.

15. Nook

Nook Member

Ask yourself.... do you really think BOB is going to let “contracts guy” do his job? Will he have faith in contracts guy? I suspect it would be some version of: “I buy the groceries, I cook with the groceries and I eat the groceries. Get the damn deal done at number X. I don’t care about how much it is, I need him.”

Contract guy backs up with ears ringing and saliva on his face and thinks “This job is so not worth arguing with King BOB”

gucci888 and Pringles like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

He isn’t going to turn the corner. He has been coaching the Texans unchecked for years. He isn’t a young or innovative coach. I have seen nothing in his personality or track record that leads me to believe that he will adapt or change. He is so arrogant that I question how much he can learn from others and how much he wants assistants that challenge him.

What you see is what you get. Players play hard for him and he keeps his team out of trouble. He also isn’t very bright or much of a visionary or play caller.

Gray_Jay and Pringles like this.
  17. Hot Fiya

Hot Fiya Member

Deshaun Watson and DeAndre are too good for this franchise, they can't waste their career here Ilike Andre Johnson did.

I really hope DW and DHop don't resign and go to a real organization so they can win. They simply don't deserve this sh!tstorm.

18. Pringles

Pringles Member

One can hope that DW will request for the firing of BoB sooner than later in his young career.

Nook likes this.
  19. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

Fck this team.

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So we're not allowed to voice our displeasure with our professional sports teams? What exactly is the point of this website then? Maybe Clutch should just shut it down.

We tried that after the debacle against the Colts. And the debacle against the Chiefs. Still waiting for any changes to be made.

Longest tenured coach in the NFL without a conference championship game appearance. And the only one with a GM title.

conquistador#11 likes this.