1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rate D'Antoni's Coaching Last Night on a scale of 9/10

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Jan 28, 2020.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

*Small Ball master class - Rudy Gobert was left in a crumpled heap laying on the court and rejected by Austin Rivers
    *Only 3 midrange FGA
    *Good use of timeouts (used them when Jazz went up by 1, narrowed to 6)
    *Won a Coach's Challenge
    *Michael Frazier >>>> Hartenstein who is now washed
    *ISO-laden offense proves that you can win and are better without Harden, westbrook
    *Allowed Harden, Capela to rest in the locker room

11/10.

Clutch, arubato, bj3175 and 19 others like this.
  2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Last night was the first time I have ever watched him coach.

It was bizzare.

The man was actually calling timeouts as soon as the Jazz made mini runs.

3. juanm34

juanm34 Member

MDA has proven he can coach when he is forced to.

pr0wler, kjayp, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

"Alright I finally have a roster that will let me coach. I'll show you ****ers on the internetz how this is done"

Gorki, pr0wler, clutchdabear and 17 others like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

so many people were worried about charmin gobert and he was made into the worse player on the floor. you love to see it

6. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

LOL... op read as a @Carl Herrera post.

It is interesting... he coached more/better when he knew he had to, or when given the leash to? Perhaps he just is more figurehead when Harden is out there, Harden and Russ. Still, even with them out there, even with him more as a figure head, dude should be able to call timeouts effectively.

All that aside... some teams have other teams numbers. See GSW against Rockets, lol. Rockets have the Jazz number in the Harden era, seemingly. Gobert can't get in the right head-space against our small ball. Ingles doesn't want to be constantly stuck on either dribble drive, or iso 3 guards either. Ingles has been generally better and key to their run - last night was his worst game (by gamescore, too) since Dec. 4th.

No comment on Frazier... just hope he doesn't have one more good game and then get rewarded with a deal by DM ala Gary Clark... cause he's not really good, lol.

So, yeah, GREAT coaching!!!

In all seriousness... the Rockets ran for the most part the same offensive style, with Gordon as their Harden. Except even with the ISO's there was more ball movement and overall movement. And generally speaking that is all people have asked of Harden when he's out there. Last night was actually "pleasing" to the eye.

They still weren't good defensively. In fact I think they were bad - Jazz just missed open, solid looks in the first half.

lw17 likes this.
  7. JW86

JW86 Member

Totally agree that it seems to really go hand in hand with being without his alpha guys and felt he needed to coach. His time-outs were timely, he got on guys, made some good decisions. It was solid, 7.5/10 but nothing genius. We're just not used to having a coach so bar is set really low with him and McHale being lame ducks.

I wonder what it means though? Does he trust his main guys too much to make the right decisions, stop the run by themselves and such? Is he complacent / lazy? Is he just set in his ways and what we value from a coach is something he doesn't?

bj3175 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. BigShasta

BigShasta Contributing Member

Every play he called created a shot. It was a beautiful display of basketball.

9. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I particularly liked the timings of most of the time-outs last night.

10. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Dumbtoni huh?

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

This. I noticed it immediately and was in shock. MDA properly using timeouts? Amazing.

JW86, bj3175, Zboy and 2 others like this.
  12. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Technical wise, I think MDA knows as good as anybody. But head coaching in NBA is a complicated job, they have to manage player psyche, superstar egos, management pressures etc... I would put him right behind elites like Pop and Kerr, but those guys are firmly backed up by their organizations and has authority on and off the court.

bj3175 likes this.
  13. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

1) Small ball only worked because the "Stifle Tower" has very little to no offensive game. I hope MDA realizes that.

2) MDA nearly lost the game by keeping no handles PJ in the game when all we needed was ball handlers and FT shooters. A closer game and we likely would have lost because of PJs turnovers.

3) Every coach looks great when %'s are good. What type of coach is he when things aren't going well for the shooters? So far in MDA's career, he has come up short in high stress situations vs his peers.

In summary, great win but MDA hasn't changed, grown, or regressed even. He's still the same, stubborn, regular season success, championship out of reach, coach.

buzz1701 likes this.
  14. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Harden and Westbrook don't strike me as the easiest personalities to deal with as a coach.

JW86, bj3175, AroundTheWorld and 2 others like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not everyone can be Steve Nash. MDA should know this more than most, considering he followed that up by having to coach the likes of Melo, Kobe, Dwight, Harden, CP3 and Russ.

You want to win as an NBA coach, you got to deal with huge personalities and egos.

The reason Phil was a great NBA coach was his ability to do that while surrounding himself with even better x's and o's guys, but pretty much horrible as an executive because that meant he had to do a lot of the decision making, x's and o's type stuff, which wasn't his strength. Pop is considered one of the all-time greats, because he was really good at both, generally (Kawhi aside)... though Pop also did have Tim Duncan and David Robinson, which makes the personal relationship side a bit easier. Still, I'd choose Pop over Phil on the coaching ladder.

bj3175 and BigShasta like this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

good coaching (game plan), and excellent game execution
    no more, no less

D-rock and BigShasta like this.
  17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Also, he did it in front of his predecessor Kevin MAGAHale - the ultimate motivation.

clutchdabear, hakeem94, HP3 and 5 others like this.
  18. Reeko

Reeko Member

didn’t watch the game, but you’re not supposed to win in Utah with that collection of talent...so that’s an auto 20 outta 10 for me...salute MDA

[​IMG]

19. pippsux

pippsux Member

Eric Gordon was scorching hot, to me, that's how we won. Hartenstein is a good 3 point shooter, but dantoni won't let him shoot 3s, in an offense built on 3s....

Rivers had his best game all season, and the Jazz, especially Conley were turning the ball over like it was a hot potato
    (Scratches head trying to find a complement for dantoni)

kjayp and hakeem94 like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Did not earn an extension from Tilman this morning or even a tweet so obviously not good enough. 0/10.
    :D

smp and D-rock like this.