1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Tilman can you please double retire 24 for Kobe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockets13champs, Jan 27, 2020.

1. rockets13champs

I know we currently have 24 already retired for Moses Malone. I totally loved what Marc Cuban did it set a precedent for other teams to follow and also follow suit. We can technically double retire the number 24 for Kobe. Since we were never going to use it again. And have his jersey placed in the rafters. We can have Russ and Harden raise up his jersey at Toyota Center once we return from his road trip.
    It would be the ultimate classy move.

2. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

No. I am against retiring numbers of players that did not play for your team.

vcchlw, ak99999, Sajan and 73 others like this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd rather retire Jackie Robinson's number... Twice

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

he won't do it but it would have been a great gesture if he did. I'm not expecting all teams to do it but props to what cuban did for their organization in respect to an all time great

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess I hear that but it’s really impractical long term. I mean... if Jordan has a stroke tomorrow, should cubes retire another #? And unless the Mavs don’t suck forever, they’ll run out of their own numbers to retire.

Easy, Y2JT, tmoney1101 and 3 others like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Yeah, I thought this was gimmicky for the Mavs to do.

Making Kobe the new logo, on the other hand, would be pretty cool IMO. Jerry West loves Kobe, never wanted to be the logo. Kobe isn't the greatest of all time like MJ or LBJ, but he's equally as iconic, I think it would be a nice tribute that would double as a cool modernization of the logo.

Von Rafer, Matt78777, jchu14 and 8 others like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

pretty much why i mentioned I don't expect all the teams to do it. we never know what happens. But i do wanna give props for cuban doing that for kobe. respect goes a long way for me

B-Bob likes this.
  8. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Let's not get carried away. Kobe was very very good at basketball, but he had some serious issues. It's uncool to talk about it now, but in a couple days it'll be obvious that treating him like a saint is a bad idea.

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

nah. in a couple of days I'll still feel the same way. you do you

10. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Tilman: "Who's that?"

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I don't want players to be prevented from wearing 24 in honor of Kobe around the league.

12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Retire my late Uncle's Badminton #67... He comes from a small Nation in Southeast Asia. Thank you very much.....

naldodiaz and don grahamleone like this.
  13. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Some people believe he was redeemed, and some people don't. I appreciate those who love Kobe for being great at basketball. But to disbelieve the latter group exists is sticking your head in the sand. Just read his obituaries. Every single one of them mentions the bad with the good.

slothy420, Yung-T, Nook and 3 others like this.
  14. JW86

JW86 Member

No, he won’t and shouldn’t.

CantBeRight and DCkid like this.
  15. rockets13champs

It’s already retired. It’s a gesture in tragic times. Our current stars looked up to them growing up. And all of us in our mid to late 20s grew up watching the TMAC vs Kobe rivalry. We despised him but still respected the **** out of him. It’s only right in the first step Jackie Robinson style to retire 24 league wide. Starting in La, Dallas and now houston

16. mightybosstone

This. I was having a conversation about this with some NBA fans this morning, and I think retiring a player's number has the opposite effect of what it's trying to accomplish. Kobe inspired millions of kids to want to play the game of basketball—how many people across the globe have a Kobe jersey in their closets right now? The best way to honor the guy is to let those kids grow up and take his number when they get in the NBA.

There are so many other ways to honor Kobe that the league and teams can consider. But if you retire the number, you take away that ability for young players to wear "8" and "24" on the back of their jerseys, and to say "I picked this number because of Kobe and everything he meant to me."

Emtenndo, Y2JT, naldodiaz and 4 others like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i couldn't careless about what you have to say about the latter. you don't need to tell anyone else about how a few days from now they'll feel this way or that.

like i said you do you. this is the last im going to acknowledge with this post.

18. rockets13champs

I hate how everyone expects others to be an angel when they aren’t perfect themselves. Being super famous is a different stratosphere they can’t go out and hide like us. There are so many groupies that lie and say so and so did this to them. Fact of the matter was Kobe was innocent in that case. We are not higher than any other human being to judge them, especially the deceased who have done more to society that we could even imagining ourselves. I like to think people grow as people change, mature. People forget most nba players are the age of college students. I can say a pretty large contingent of y’all did some crazy **** in college. I should put some allegations/ think negatively about y’all then right?

majicdonjuan and Bearded13 like this.
  19. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

F*ck that! The guy was an egomaniacal rapist. The way he died with his daughter, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. But that doesn't mean my team needs to honor him.

slothy420, VooDooPope and Nook like this.
  20. rockets13champs

I hate how everyone expects others to be an angel when they aren’t perfect themselves. Being super famous is a different stratosphere they can’t go out and hide like us. There are so many groupies that lie and say so and so did this to them. Fact of the matter was Kobe was innocent in that case. We are not higher than any other human being to judge them, especially the deceased who have done more to society that we could even imagining ourselves. I like to think people grow as people change, mature. People forget most nba players are the age of college students. I can say a pretty large contingent of y’all did some crazy **** in college. I should put some allegations/ think negatively about y’all then right?

macho GRANDE likes this.