1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

COVID-19 (coronavirus disease)/SARS-CoV-2 virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Jan 22, 2020.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

People throw this around and it's too much.

The "virus" in Outbreak had like a 100% mortality rate. Basically you got it, you died.

That is not this.

BigM, malakas and daywalker02 like this.
  2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

A virus with a 14 day incubation period (with no symptoms showing) that's still contagious during that 14 day period and has any kind of serious mortality rate is just an effing nightmare.

Nook likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm not really sure what to make of this at the moment. It's not that serious. It's super serious. Etc.

Sounds like overall its pretty serious, with the only saving grace being that its not a super high mortality rate if you are not otherwise immuno-compromised.

But that's not fair to all those that are immuno-compromised, many of whom might just be the elderly or young.

I'm sure the CDC and related places have plans in place for an epidemic such as this, but I'd also hazard a guess as its way harder to hit the "panic" button if you're the guy in charge of hitting that button? Is it a guy? Is it a committee? Is it Donald Trump for christ's sake?

I tried to do some quick googling, but harder to find "clear" numbers than I would have thought.

What is the flu mortality rate/%? Even factoring in it might be pneumonia that eventually gets someone? And factoring in there are annual vaccines? all that considered, what's the rate? And compare that to an estimate of the mortality rate from this?

We in America are now pretty aware of (and in some cases desensitized) to the flu, even though it obviously can be deadly as well. I'm assuming we're talking a higher mortality rate than the flu, even if not one of these crazy super Outbreak / ebola esque high mortality rates.

The frightening, and one would hope eye awakening part, then, would be that some day one of these existing or novel viruses will break out with both a long incubation period and a super high mortality rate. YIKES!

4. malakas

malakas Member

No reason to panic. The mortality rate is much less than 3%.
    Some things you can do :
    Buy masks and gloves.
    Wash your hands with water and soap before and after you eat
    avoid handshakes
    avoid touching doorknobs.
    Stay 3-6 feet away from sick people
    Don't cough on others
    Get the influenza vaccine

As long as someone has a strong immune system there is no fear.

5. justtxyank

We don't know what the mortality rate is at this point nor do we know how easily is spreads. Lots of assumptions being made my people who want to fearmonger.

The Avian Flu was much more alarming than this and they got it under control relatively quickly and we never had a pandemic.

6. malakas

malakas Member

The flu mortality rate is 1%. (I was just right now reading an article about it lol). It kills about 400k people around the world every year.
    This Wuhan coronavirus has a mortality rate of 3% but that's actually fake. Because the official cases that make this number is only the very tip of the iceberg.

SARS had a mortality rate of 10%.

The difference with the influenza is that there are vaccines and special antiviral drugs developed.
    There's nothing for the Wuhan coronavirus. No medicine to give.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  7. justtxyank

MERS was like 30-40%

malakas likes this.
  8. malakas

malakas Member

Yes MERS was the most lethal. However there is always balance in the world. MERS had the lowest person to person secondary contamination and I think no 3rd person contamination. Much fewer cases. I think that most who got it was straight from the camels.

Usually the high mortality rates viruses are like fireworks. They do a lot of damage but because they kill their hosts fast, they don't last long.

Nook and justtxyank like this.
  9. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

When you say that's fake, you think the actual rate is higher (as in more deaths than reported), or lower (as in maybe more deaths than reported but likely also way more cases than reported/known)?

Also, while not a huge help right now, overall then it seems potentially similar to flu, in that if eventually vaccine and antivirals are available for it, mortality rate might be lower then.

10. malakas

malakas Member

Of course lower.
    Even if there are a few deaths not accounted for..heck even if there are a hundred.
    The estimated number of infected people according to experts is between 30.000 at lowest and 200.000 at highest. Most likey 100.000.
    So far only 81 deaths. Even if they were 180 deaths that would be only 1.8% mortality.

The 3% official mortality is only based on the about 2400 official diagnosed cases.
    There are so many who escape through the cracks due to incompetence, the overwhelming of Wuhan's hospitals or that they don't even develop symptoms at all.

I read a story about a woman who went to eat rice in a stall on 27 December next to that seafood market. She developed cold symptoms and even ended up spitting blood. But the doctors in Wuhan sent her away and told her to stay home. Cases like that aren't even included in the official numbers even if it's extremely likely she got the virus.

Granted right now in Wuhan there are 420 cases in critical condition. I expect many of them to die (I don't mean to be pessimistic, but there are no antiviral drugs all of them have pneumonia and are mostly old with underlying medical conditions).

saitou and JayZ750 like this.
  11. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I think you are off with the flu mortality rate. In the US (I know that isn't the entire world) I believe its under .1% and closer to .05%.

12. malakas

malakas Member

Thank you for the correction. Ι don't know , I read it online. Maybe it's world wide morality percentage?

13. GIGO

GIGO Member

?
    [​IMG]

malakas likes this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

Thanx for the correction.
    It's such a lucky outcome that we don't have to deal with MERS anymore.

15. Buck Turgidson

The movie he was looking for is "Contagion", the most realistic of any of the plague movies. Soderbergh directed, so expect his style.

You get to see Gwynith Paltrow's head get sawed in half...trust me it's good.

16. Buck Turgidson

robbie380 likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

WuTang virus has 173% morality rate.

Nook likes this.
  18. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So none of this?

I was prepping to go to war with half dead light sensitive albinos. So disapointed.

Actually I'm a little afraid of what would happen in a full scale pandemic with quarantines and abandoned streets given all the kids raised on Resident Evil and The Walking Dead. I think some of the yahoos with stockpiles of ARs and AKs would think they'd hit the jackpot and begin living out their fantasies.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member