1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I was almost phished, questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dubious, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

My wife passed away recently and I was goofing around on a Senior dating site because I don't have any time left to waste. Beautiful picture, smiled at, she smiled back.. then she wanted to move off the site to using my standard email address. I gave them my email, my physical address and cell number but that's all. Then I get a note from the site administrator that this account is being investigated for fraud.

A google search couldn't locate anything from her name or email, of course. And the ambiguous tone of her note set off my Spidey sense and I asked for background in my 1 reply to her (it, them?)

So what actions do you internet savvy folks think I need to take?

I already have a PIN number and fraud watch in my income taxes. Discover card does monitor my online accounts. What else?

#1 Dubious, Jan 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2020
    Xerobull likes this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Hey, I think you'll be fine, other than now being on a dark web target list for future phishing. The info you gave away is already available to anyone who really wants it.

Most of all, I'm sorry to hear about your wife, @Dubious. That's a tough transition.

Uprising, NotInMyHouse, Nook and 10 others like this.
  3. Dubious

called Discover to enroll in their $15 identity theft protection , but I can't make it happen until Tuesday because my wife was the primary cardholder.

4. Dubious

47 years of devotion both ways, I am ****ing dying over here. Waiting on the xanax to kick in.

I'm not really so embarrassed about almost being phished as I am disappointed it wasn't real. Nothing is real on the internet.

malakas, Blatz, Invisible Fan and 6 others like this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

All of cfnet got phished by the legendary SofiaWhite

[​IMG]

Nook, Xerobull, Invisible Fan and 2 others like this.
  6. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Your wife would want you to be happy, that’s the main thing. It’s not an on and off switch, it will take time but know that she would want you to try your hardest to be happy and when you do find peace, don’t feel guilty - feel proud.

ThatBoyNick and Jontro like this.
  7. Dubious

All of my friends and my wife's friends told me "you are married till death you part, well, you're not married anymore"
    And I believe death is the end of consciousness so she's not judging me, outside of her influence on my own guilt.
    So let's party Bud! But with whom seems like its going to be an issue.

Changed my investment member log in and password.... it has voice recognition requirements anyway but I'm jumpy.

malakas and Jontro like this.
  8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Since you gave up your physical address, I've heard some of these fake accounts on Senior dating sights will start sending 6' tall, blonde, Czech and Latvian single women to your door for more direct phishing.

b e w a r e

Jontro and peleincubus like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

hands-on phishing, commonly referred to as noodling

NotInMyHouse and Nook like this.
  10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Are they that desperate for fans now?

Nook and fallenphoenix like this.
  11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hello fellow Phish brother! Don't be hesitant to join the movement, we have plenty of room for you in our casa camper for the upcoming tour!

Nook, B-Bob and Jontro like this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

**** you beat me by a minute.

Jontro likes this.
  13. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Take a trip Bangkok. No phishing there bud.

Nook and Jontro like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

That is terrible news op and I cannot imagine. Most of us plan to go first, very tough for the living.

When speaking to anonymous people on the internet give them your kik info. Kik is a often used messaging app. It is a favorite since you don't give phone number. Very useful for talking to potential shady female characters.

Widowed guys are more popular than divorced guys. Once you get over 35 the supply of females opens up.

I think lhutz popeye and many more were fake accounts but good fun. tashdub was really that skank the one time good times

Nook likes this.
  15. Dubious

I did pay for an exotic masseuse to come to my house the second night I was here alone. (the first night I got so drunk that I fell down, so, out with all the booze) She was so damn beautiful. But it was just like a lap dance in you own bed and I cried and talked about my wife all the way trough it. I thought it was good Grief Counselling but there was no happy ending. Now she won't return my texts hahahahah

The portrait pic is not her, and it does not do her justice. But if you want to pay $300 for an ungodly beautiful woman to come give you a lap dance in your bedroom I highly recommend her.
    https://houston.rubratings.com/147850

Kim likes this.
  16. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Oh, theres definitely still phishing going on over in Thailand.

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Nope. No surprise there. All wholesome stuff going on.

Nook likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

If you thought they were hot, you might be into dudes.

No Worries, Kim and peleincubus like this.
  19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

That's why my comment is so funny. It got you to post boi's in dresses lol :p

Kim likes this.
  20. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You should be ok as long as you didn't give any SSN, password, bank or credit card info. Most of the info you gave is already known by telemarketers and Facebook. You might get some extra telemarketer calls, texts and mail but that's about it. Don't answer and they'll go away eventually.

malakas, Invisible Fan and B-Bob like this.