1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros New Manager and GM

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by SooneRockStro, Jan 13, 2020.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I expect to hate whomever we get.

Who do you want?

arkoe and everyday eddie like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

I will take Banister over Baker and Showalter. Banister isn’t 75, believes in analytics, is tough as hell and players like him.

RayRay10, crose, itzIce and 7 others like this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Showalter is a total no go for me. If they're gonna hire a retread, I'm warming up to the idea of Dusty Baker. His track record is great, and pair him with Strom to handle the pitching staff....

Do you people, after everything we've seen and said playing the Rangers, want Jeff Banister as the Astros manager? Really?

The Stros don't need a "tough" manager, where the **** did this idea come from?

right1 and RustyHarden like this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I would be okay with baker but I wouldn't mind banister. If we can accept McHale why not banister. I have a feeling they will go with a person with media connection to soften the media stance on the astros (potentially)

5. awc713

awc713 Member

As much hate as AJ got....I’m really gonna miss him. I think Banister is as close to AJ as well get. I like the idea of Espada, granted I know nothing about him.

RustyHarden likes this.
  6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

No to Showalter
    No to Baker
    **** Banister
    Just give the keys to Espada.

7. Nook

Nook Member

Baker would do what he wanted with the pitchers. He is really bad at handling a staff.

I don’t want a manager tough on the players but having someone that is mentally tough is an advantage.

If it were up to me the Astros would go a completely different direction.... Sam Fuld.

#287 Nook, Jan 23, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
  8. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Did Ausmus interview? Did Biggio interview?

with a vet team you’re looking for a calming vet presence who is still in touch with the game and can command the teams respect. from a marketing perspective you are looking for anything to redirect from sign stealing that can lend credibility back to your team.

I’m just not feeling the guys being interviewed. Specifically Baker and Buck.

RustyHarden likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

Hence the whole part of the thing where they're keeping Strom and all.

I'm not talking about my personal preferences either, which are very different, just what it looks like they're going to do.

I'm more curious as to the GM hire than the manager, and I've heard zero rumblings about that job. I know Crane is hands-on for now.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I asked and no one In MMP knows who the next manager will be as only Crane has handled all of it. If I had to bet, my money would be on Baker or Biggio.

I don’t think Strom would reign in Baker but let’s hope we don’t have to find out.

11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is where I'm at. I like that he's a homegrown guy, likes analytics and wants to be part of the solution.

12. msn

msn Member

Where's all this Biggio talk coming from? No, thanks.

My thing exactly. Please don't let that hack within a mile of this pitching staff.

13. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Biggio doesn’t seem like someone who would want it, even if offered?

14. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

He helped to manage his son's HS baseball team, so there is that.

RKREBORN likes this.
  15. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

If it was Biggio I could see it as just a one year deal. It's been brought up that if you hire Biggio, you'll eventually have to fire Biggio but if it's just a one year deal they can always say it's a mutual separation in the offseason. Realistically Biggio might not want to keep such a commitment....

...then bring Hinch back for 2021.

16. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Has there been any news on Strom? He came in as Luhnow's guy and with Luhnow and Hinch now gone... seems like he'd been talking not coaching too much longer anyway?

17. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I think it’s mostly because the rest of the candidates are meh at best.

Crane seems dead set on bringing someone in from the outside.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I’ve seen the idea of Hinch coming back next year being floated around here and there. I wish, but no way it’s happening unless Crane feels like he overreacted. That coupled with Manfred not telling Crane that he needed to fire him to begin with.

I just don’t see it. I’d love to be wrong though.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

Crane has said very little to the people in the building but has told the coaches that he intends to keep them. So the manager will likely have to take the coaches (assuming the coaches do not want to leave).

arkoe likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

I think it would depend on how the team is covered in the media and how successful Hinch is at rehabilitating his image. Hinch will get a job offer come October........ several teams already are interested. However would Crane want to look the players that sold him out in the face? Does he have animosity towards Crane? Just a lot goes into it. What I do know, from the wording of the Luhnow letter, there is no prior agreement or understanding he will be back. He feels railroaded.