1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Did they really need to get rid if Paul?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

If you think about the team that's been killing them isnt even relevant this season...sometimes it's best to keep things simple. We would also have those picks to make a trade

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Tilman & James wanted him gone. The owners get what they want. :eek:

JW86, REEKO_HTOWN, Bo6 and 11 others like this.
  3. ilovehtownbb

ilovehtownbb Member

I don’t even care anymore. We ain’t winning jack **** this year

4. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Of course not. I think Morey was against the trade, but Tilman wanted to make a splash. The only arguments for Westbrook over Paul are age and injuries. The advanced stats all point to Paul as the better player. Overall, I would still probably take Westbrook over Paul in a one for one trade given the age and injury problems, but giving up the two picks was too much.

5. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think they should have gotten rid of everyone not just Paul

6. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

If we go back to the start of the season and you had to bet your house on if 34 year old Chris would be better (he was very bad) or worse than last year what would you say?

If we kept him and he was EVEN slower and injured AGAIN, as most were expecting, what would the narrative be?

We made the smart and logical move. Maybe the only one since dumbass tilmen arrived. We replaced a huge contract that was likely to look even worse for an allstar player at the same position. You just have to give credit here to Chris for getting his body right and putting the work in. Nothing more to say.

If we didnt cheap out wasting our other assets and filled in the actual problems (starting 3, back up 4) we would be looking at a championship worthy team again

7. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

Paul is playing well right now but he can’t stay healthy long enough to be considered reliable in the playoffs. Paul is a fighter, though, and he’s playing with the big chip on his shoulder having been written off by most people. Still, we needed to get younger and he would’ve been 37-years-old during the last year of his contract while sucking up a large portion of salary for the Rockets. It was a good move to trade him, but perhaps we could’ve traded for someone that was a better fit. We need a 3-point shooter that can play off of Harden, especially since he plays point forward 95% of the time. Bottom line, Paul wasn’t the answer to bringing a championship to Houston.

Highlyrated likes this.
  8. icewill36

icewill36 Member

we could have taken back some salary to be used to match other contracts for trade. didnt do it. tillman also seems fine with standing pat with what we have (meaning staying under the tax is all he cares about)

i also dont believe paul would be playing as well for us since his usage would be MUCH higher, and the trade itself lit a fire under him. he playing to hopefully get traded to a contender and try to get back at the rockets. everything he did this offseason, he could have done LAST offseason instead of taking 20+ games to play himself into shape and still not perform anywhere near the level he did the first year.

the front office made the right choice given the season they just witnessed. yall need get over it and move on. westbrook is not our problem right now.

jerryclark likes this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Bingo. Salt in the wound. Not an analytics trade at any level.

HP3 likes this.
  10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Chris Paul has a lot of pride and showed it. We need to get a hell of a lot better and certainly showed that.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We'd probably be having a lot of the same issues, but the defense would be better

12. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

James wanted Dwight gone.

James wanted Melo gone.

James wanted CP3 gone.

James most likely will follow the same pattern and wants Russ gone.

When will James want himeself gone?

Can't wait.

REEKO_HTOWN, jdhi and BigBum like this.
  13. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

The past two seasons we were insistent that we were clearly the best team after Golden State. I believe that and so does everyone else on our side. There was no doubt that two years ago we would have been champs had we gotten past Golden State, and while I’m also positive Toronto wouldn’t have beaten us last year, zero argument can be made for Portland having a chance against us.

If Golden State wasn’t there, we were the best team in the league. And Morey preached this too.

And this year Golden State was completely removed from the equation.

I don’t know exactly what happened behind closed doors. I don’t know if Morey fought against the CP trade, if the front office felt that the relationship was too damaged between James and Chris, or who pushed for the trade more, Harden or Tilman.

I do know that with this ownership, we have completely abandoned what we preached these past few years, and have completely fked up what we worked so hard to put together this current Rockets/Harden era.

To be clear, I wasn’t against the trade. I figured Harden and CP just weren’t going to get along, and Westbrook and Harden together was cool as hell. But if you truly believed you were a championship team, and you had to get Russ, then spend!! But it’s literally too late now. We can’t trade for szhit, and we can’t sign anyone this summer.

#13 Zoplicone, Jan 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    BHannes2BHonest and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. BigBum

BigBum Member

If keeping Paul, it could be 4th seed now.

15. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Unfortunately, fixed it for you.

ilovehtownbb likes this.
  16. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Wait until Gerald Green comes back. We will be a brand new team.

17. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Yea Paul was traded because Harden wanted.
    So we could have traded Harden and gotten more than we got from Chris.

Imagine trading him back to OKC. But I doubt it would have been OKC since Russ was unhappy and wanted something new.

but yea either we traded Harden and prob Capela because without Harden capela is nothing. Then we could have traded Eric Gordon maybe and just blow it up. Why even keep Chris since we wouldn’t have know how good he would be this year. What if we had gotten the Chris from last year.

So in short if we had traded Harden we would have gone and blow it all up even trade Cp3. Be irrelevant for a couple season unless we had gotten good pieces.

but then you still have MDA as a coach so maybe just fired him at that point.
    And if we could fire Tillman as well :p
    I wish
    Well one thing we would have needed to do is fire Dmorey since things didn’t work with him and Harden. And the NBA would and still probably is upset with his tweet.

so just to start fresh New owner... oh wait I keep forgetting, new GM, new coach everyone else gone except maybe Hartenstein and Clemons I think.

another possibility would have been to trade Chris, and Capela and if possible Gordon and gotten a couple young guys to help on the wings or someone at least decent unlike D.Fking.House

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Our old team last year got one year older

19. Adam Silver

Adam Silver Member

Actually, you traded an All Star (Chris Paul) for a non-All Star (Westbrook) this season.

20. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

**** no