1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(The Ringer) Rockets seriously interested in Robert Covington trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Dec 10, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

DANUEL house and nene for Jae crowder

Then go to Detroit and do

Thabo and a 2nd rounder for Markeiff Morris

2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'd rather have the Morris twins anyway, both of them.

Westbrook and Harden are organizing the buyouts already I'm sure...

Morris boys want to be together, and they each only have 1 year deals. (keef player option...)

3. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

You know, for a guy who's supposed to be broke, his company sure is buying a ton of assets and brands in the hospitality industry. Including a bunch of brands I didn't know were Landry's Inc properties. Restaurants Unlimited, Inc. and DelFrisco's in 2019. Go see the wiki for Landry's, and prepare to be amazed.

One thing there's a dearth of on that list, are international holdings. I dunno. Maybe there are Rainforest Cafes all over China and I just hadn't heard about them?
    Also, as much as we love the Rockets here, 2.2 billion USD is a bit of a gross overpay, No? Even if Forbes thinks it's totally natural that the value of an NBA franchise tripled in the last five years? See, https://www.forbes.com/sites/forbespr/2019/02/06/forbes-releases-21st-annual-nba-team-valuations/

There isn't a real estate deal associated with the acquisition, there isn't a new stadium, there really isn't a jewel of a TV deal, and annual shared revenue, per that Forbes article, for each team is around a 110 million dollars. Revenue, not profit. However much gate, concessions, and swag bring in---and I don't know how Toyota Center revenues are handled---it's still a long time to pay back 2.2 billion, right?

I go back to the only reason to pay this kind of money for this franchise, is if it helps your other interests make money they couldn't otherwise. Like in China. Is that permanently on hold after Morey's statement? Or is it back on after a decent interval following the tweet, a poor Rockets performance in the interim, and Morey being dismissed for cause?

But if China is out, might Fertitta be looking for a buyer of this white elephant? Or at least trying to keep costs pared as low as possible and not lose money while he waits for franchise appreciation to recoup what his ownership group spent? If gate, concessions, and other non-shared income is negligible compared to the check they get from revenue sharing, the easiest way to cut costs would be to move their high-priced talent and let the kids play. I.e., trade James for a gazillion picks, attach some of those to Westbrook and move him too, take back expirings, and be Phoenix-on-the-Gulf.

If non-shared income isn't negligible, and is somewhat proportional to team record, then it becomes rational to look like they're trying, talk about playoffs and a championship to keep demand strong, but not spend past an inflection point where the added wins per dollar spent rate stops rising.

Tl;dr: this franchise won't spend significantly until Landry's Inc is able to exploit its competitive advantage and gains significant penetration into China. If team revenue starts to drop, expect a high-priced talent fire sale. Thoughts about why this is so are behind the spoiler tag.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Isn't Marcus making 15 this year? When he's made 20 for all of his previous deals combined? https://www.spotrac.com/nba/new-york-knicks/marcus-morris-8065/

I'd like him too. He was shooting over 40 from 3 last I checked. I just don't see the salary working. 'Kieff I'm surprised isn't here already. What does Detroit want for the guy?

eliefor3 likes this.
  5. D-rock

D-rock Member

Terrence Ross AND Mo Bamba would be even more awesome.

6. amaru

amaru Member

FIFY

7. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Damnit, you’re right. I thought he reached extension before August 6th.

I guess it’s Dario or nothing.

8. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

1 year deal... Buyout season baby.

And to be honest, I'd be willing to move Clint If you can bring back the Morris Twins...

Gray_Jay likes this.
  9. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

He's making 15 this year, with maybe 7 left on the deal by the time of the deadline. (I'm assuming Dolan isn't Fertitta, and is paying his players throughout the year or upfront.) He's only made 20 million his entire career, 28 if we assume this happens around the deadline. Why would he forfeit a significant portion of seven million dollars, 1/4 of all of the money he's ever made, just so he can play on the Rockets?

Moreover, and I don't understand the buyout market, what do the Knicks get out of this beyond saving some portion of 7 million dollars? They lose the services of a competent player without receiving any compensation from the team the player is headed off to. They still have the salary on their books for cap purposes, right? (The Knicks are nowhere near the LT.) They forfeit his Bird rights, if any.

I'm just trying to see why the Knicks would do this.

D-rock likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Knicks will obviously try to trade him cause in a buyout situation they won't get anything back, but i don't know if it's going to be so easy to move him with that contract, they'll have to find the right team outside of those looking to compete and with a need at wing, willing and able to trade around 11/12M to match his salary. And yeah, no bird rights on him.

#530 Vivi, Jan 17, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
    D-rock and RudyTBag like this.
  11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

If they both wound up here. if I were any local YMCA, I'd get a restraining order on them, stat.

kwakmeister and D-rock like this.
  12. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

I would imagine we could get Arizia pretty cheap now. That would make many on VF happy.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

Pretty cheap? he just signed a 2 year $25 mil deal in the offseason. That's a long way from min and a definite no no for LTS

topfive likes this.
  14. Vivi

Vivi Member

Just realized it's basically one month left till the deadline...i guess at this point i'm just going to be
    [​IMG]

...for ch to drop something.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Nah. Less than three weeks.

Vivi likes this.
  16. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

17. HP3

HP3 Member

That's really not a good sign.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

old school Morey would always lie to the media about this. Let’s hope the slippery eel has returned.

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock and HP3 like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Already giving his post-deadline speech. :D

"We thought we had a few deals lined up but obviously nothing that crossed the finish line. We'll continue to look to upgrade the team, now via the buyout market. [Narrator: Nothing will happen there either.] But we love the roster and guys we got. I think we're as good as any team in the West. Obviously we have to go out and do it now and prove it."

20. RudyTBag

Supporting Member

2nd year salary does not appear to be fully guaranteed...