1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Well, MLB wanted the Yankee $$$$$...We were in the way.

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Jan 14, 2020.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Screw MLB and the owners.

Sounds like the owners gave JC an ultimatum...Luhnow/Hinch gone or face staggering financial and competitive penalties?

#1 Plowman, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    DoitDickau, J.R., jb86 and 3 others like this.
  2. BleedsRocketRed

Just stop.
    Why is it everyone else's fault but our own?

The 7 stages of grief
    • Shock and denial. This is a state of disbelief and numbed feelings.
    • Pain and guilt. ...
    • Anger and bargaining. ...
    • Depression. ...
    • The upward turn. ...
    • Reconstruction and working through. ...
    • Acceptance and hope.

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Conspiracy theories.

Boomers gonna Boom I guess.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

I don't particularly agree with this, but the media and apparently other execs are now claiming the Astros and particularly Jim Crane got off light.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...enes-houston-astros-sign-stealing-punishments

The article mentions Crane implicated 8 other teams... Manfred better be as thorough with them.

5. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

This.

Astros got caught, I’ll be a big boy and take it on the chin. That said, if being made the scapegoat, that’ll be a bunch of bs. You’ll be doing this whole thing a disservice.

Also F Passan with this garbage...

“The kneecapping of the Houston Astros went off Monday in exquisite fashion. ”

6. dmoneybangbang

We cheated and we won. Let me know when the Yankees are giving back their titles from their years of steroid abuse.

The league has its scapegoat, unlike the steroid era. Hopefully some other teams, especially Red Sox, get theirs too.

jb86, jklb, mulletman and 10 others like this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

The Redsox and Astros "cheated" (apparently) and lost in 2019 and 2018 for us. I agree with Hinch, I don't think it's a huge help at all. Seems distracting and it's only half the games?!?!

8. AirPower

AirPower Member

It is what it is man, we got caught, that's the punishment.

The league warned all teams after Yankees/Redsox... we kept doing it.

Crane warned Lunhow/Hinch... it kept happening.

Both decisions are understandable considering what happened during that time and the fact that the warnings were ignored.

If anything, the players are just as responsible for costing Lunhow/Hinch their jobs, they should feel terrible that these guys pay the price for the players (whoever it was) wanting to get an advantage.

I also agree with some other posters that the league better do as thorough of an investigation on all other teams that have been implicated otherwise it's not about actually breaking the rules it's just about PR/revenue/saving face.

Get out of here with that nonsense... Gen X/Millenials/Z/etc/etc have just as many stupid ass ideas/conspiracy theories as boomers...

RayRay10 and ramotadab like this.
  9. astros123

astros123 Member

Some of you guys need to grow the eff up. In the real world when you fk up there are consequences. Its part of being an adult. You guys with your crazy conspiracy theories sound stupid. We cheated and no one forced us to cheat. We continued to cheat even after MLB warned the league in August 2017. We were so stupid that we even included role players in the scheme. At this point im just numb to the whole thing. Learn from it and become better humans.

KePoW, Beezy, sew and 3 others like this.
  10. Senator

Senator Member

What real world do the Patriots and REd Sox live in? Will you be picketing for Brady and Belicheck to give back their trophies? You're a clown for thinking the fall guy in the world of competitive sports, where every top team has something worked out to give them an edge, is the one who needs to be shamed.

This isn't PEDs or Lance Armstrong. This isn't ball tampering. This is using electronics for sign stealing, a part of the game.

msn and everyday eddie like this.
  11. astros123

astros123 Member

Im 100% sure Cora will also be suspended after the investigation is completed.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

They chose to defend cheating and they now have that stigma.

Next you'll tell me OJ is a good guy.

13. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

All that matters is we are World Series champs (2017). Every time another fan says it's tainted or needs an asterisk, all I'll say is we are World Series champs. Just like all those ****faces who say the Rockets ships are not real because Jordan (who cheated by gambling by the way) wasn't in the league. Just shoo them away like a fly. We are World Series champs. But you cheated! And we're still World series champs. But you're not respected. Don't give a ****. WE ARE WORLDS SERIES CHAMPS!

14. Senator

Senator Member

The only stigma I see is that of a dynasty team with the greatest QB. On top of that, the media is too afraid to lay into them.This guilt factor you feel is all in your head .. likely because you are naive to competitive sports. I am ashamed of PEDS and Lance Armstrong and collusion in basketball etc. but not this. It is just the edge teams look for in the age of tech, and all free market organizations do it. Look at google and facebook stealing your data.. you still use them?

15. BleedsRocketRed

Fixed.
    lol

I'm just messing with you.

16. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

We cheated, we got busted, we paid the price

Anyone who thinks us and the Red Sox are alone in this whole thing is nuts though

Heck, Mike Scott wrote back in the 90s about the Mets using a video feed to try and figure out signs. This is, and has been, a huge part of the game for decades. Luhnow is hated by many in the industry and I honestly believe that had a lot to do with the harshness of the penalties

Having said that, right is right and wrong is wrong, when you choose wrong and get caught, you pay the price

17. BleedsRocketRed

Dude. We cheated. 100%

Accept it. Doesn't matter what other teams did, or people did in other sports.
    In 2017 and part of 2018, the Houston Astro's players were cheaters. Its been proven and it will never go away. That is this teams legacy from here on out.

I hurts. It really does, I know. :(

SWTsig likes this.
  18. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

They DID fine them $5M. What more were they going to do?

I think this was more of a conscious decision by JC. First, to take action to change perception of his franchise...and to send a strong message that he doesn't approve of cheating. Second, a very practical decision around...well, I need a new mgr and GM now, and these guys are in the way of that. Would anyone worthwhile really be interested in a known interim role for those? Would that even work well? Regardless of what the reason for their season long absence was...it makes sense to just move on and get new people, unless those people were just so outstanding that it was worth waiting a full year for them to come back. Were they THAT good? I don't think anybody thinks so.

Anybody here have a job where they think they could take a year off and still have the job when they came back?

Also, this cost the owner $5M, and a bunch of draft picks. Is that not a good reason to fire someone? Especially when said people can not help you at all for the next year?

I'd have been surprised if they didn't get fired.

#18 BigDog63, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    arkoe likes this.
  19. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

Red Sox GM is going to be suspended/fired too, right? If Lunhow received that punishment, no reason he shouldn't also get punishment

20. AirPower

AirPower Member

Not to mention, JC warned them to cut anything they might be doing out after the league notified the teams in 2017 (post Red Sox/Yankees issue). Then, GM/HC decided to not head that warning.... so now they pay the consequences.

raining threes and BigDog63 like this.