1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should all the players from that team never be allowed to be in the hall of fame?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Jan 13, 2020.

1. what

what Member

I don't know if i could vote for any of them to be in the hall. It breaks my heart, but they are cheaters as far as im concerned. No different that sosa, Clements, Mark McGwire, Barry Bonds.
    Or pete rose.
    There is a lot more implications to this scandal as far as im concerned.

2. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

The names u mentioned cheated for a decade. Our boys steal signs for 1+ year. And don’t forget about Boston and Yankees players involvement with this scandal as well. And we’re still waiting on the Boston investigation. And who knows, maybe Yankees or another team after. I don’t think the scandal/investigation is anywhere near over with.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

4. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

They'd have to not let anyone into the hall who played in this era then

5. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Thankfully you dont have a vote.

6. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Implications of the Red Sox, Dodgers, Yankees, and Beltran being implicated and now managing the Nets, you sir, are largely correct.

7. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The night is bringing the dumb out in posters/threads.

jklb, AB423, BigM and 2 others like this.
  8. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Get out of here with this.

#8 Chilly_Pete, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    whiskeyred, naldodiaz and msn like this.
  9. PhiSlammaJamma

I don’t think the media or players will hold this against them long term unless they deny it. Simply own it and it will be forgiven. Continue to deny and lie about it, they will sink their careers. It inflated their stats for sure, but I don’t think anyone will think much about it over their 20 year careers.

#9 PhiSlammaJamma, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    naldodiaz likes this.
  10. CinematicFusion

It will be real hard for Bergman to win MVP in the future. Voters gonna punish Stros for a few years.

BleedsRocketRed and arkoe like this.
  11. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. msn

msn Member

The Hall is full of cheaters. So ridiculous and disingenuous that Bonds and Clemens are left out. I disagree with the sentiment expressed in OP and find it very naïve.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt it. Most of these players are years or decades away from even being considered for the Hall of Fame and if nothing more comes up and they continue to play at a high level this will become a footnote. Further for Justin Verlander it would be ludicrous to punish a pitcher for sign stealing by batters.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Unlike steroids, there was no clear benefit, as the team was so much better on the road than at home. It is just too much going on to make it very effective.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  15. Hoothrewpoo

Hoothrewpoo Member

That's maybe the most lazy thing I've heard about all of this. Which stats did it inflate? Astros hitters during the 2017 regular season hit better across the board, in every major stat, on the road. It's not even close. They scored 106 more runs in 81 games on the road. They hit 8 more home runs on the road. The team batted 5 points higher on the road (Altuve hit 70 points higher on the road). 73 more hits. 16 more doubles. 8 more triples. 90 more RBI. Slugged 22 points higher. Which stat is clearly inflated by their "cheating"?

Two other points... the Astros stole signs. And? That doesn't mean you stole the correct sign. Teams use half a dozen signs per pitch. You have to guess at one, hope it's correct, signal to the batter and hope he makes contact. he other point - this has been going on as long as baseball has been around, dating back to 1876. Teams steal signs. It has evolved from base runners to binoculars to video cameras. It's been a part of the game, that has NOT been illegal, for almost 150 years.

Houstunna likes this.
  16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

17. naldodiaz

naldodiaz Member

plus as evidenced in the video of Gattis that surfaced, it's still up to the hitter to make contact, in which case he struck out. good points mate

18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I doubt they will have a chance to deny it or admit it. I'm pretty sure MLB has already told everyone talking about it is off limits

This thread is stupid by the way. Stealing signs is almost as old as baseball itself. As i've mentioned in another thread, Mike Scott back in the 90's admitted that one of the Mets teams he was on used a monitor from a center field stream to try and decode the catchers signs. And he wrote that in the 90's, not something he is talking about now

The Yankees and Red Sox were already fined for using electronics for stealing signs

So now we want to say it's so much worse because we did it after the commish warning. Before the warning using electronics was worth a fine, after the warning it's worth two mens jobs, 4 high draft picks and 5 million bucks?

Laughable

Yes we cheated, would be hard to find a team out there that doesn't in some way.

Take threads, and thoughts, like this and go find a new team to root for....then you can whine like a b*t*h when we whoop your new teams a*s

19. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

Per Michael Conner on the radio today, it is interesting to speculate on who exactly Roy O meant by that statement. Who would he have personal knowledge of that used steroids, and made it into the Hall?

The guys that we 'know' juiced, aren't there.

"Should these players be banned from the Hall?" LOL. Turn off ESPN. You'll feel a lot better and be a lot smarter.

20. Gray_Jay

Gray_Jay Member

I hope he didn't plan on having a long career in MLB. The narrative has been established by MLB and ESPN, and nothing against it is going to be entertained. He is the snitch that will get the stitch if he doesn't have ironclad proof of his allegations.

I think he's absolutely right, for what it's worth, but the truth doesn't matter.