1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

He's gonna outlive Morey and D'Antoni as well.

Two franchises that have fielded multiple title worthy teams will have replaced their management team, the Texans keep counting money.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

Should we start a gofundme page to put up billboards asking, Should the Texans start interviewing for a "change" ?

It could be something like
    have here or Give...the nice job of Head
    ........coach of the Houston Texans?

#5162 Blatz, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    BigShasta and Mr. Clutch like this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Since Bill was hired, every other AFC South team has reached the conference championship game.

Pathetically amazing

gatsby, Caesar, BigShasta and 5 others like this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Come on! Ryan Mallett or Jadeveon Clowney or Aaron Colvin got to have some **** on Bob. ;)

Rudyc281 likes this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Duane Brown has to have something.

marky :), Houstunna and J.R. like this.
  6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#5167 donkeypunch, Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Nook, Houstunna and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

Texans have a head coach that convinces his team they're not gonna win AND then doesn't go for it on 4th and 1 killing ALL MOMENTUM then gets historically destroyed by the Chiefs. Then Andy Reid says it was a good call to run the fake punt at our own 30 yard line...Who does this make sense to?

gfab-babyboi and BigShasta like this.
  9. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I wouldn't put much weight on Andy Reid giving that fake punt the nod of approval. Of course Reid will. All other teams want BOB to keep his job because he's an idiot and easy to coach against.

TheRealist137, gfab-babyboi and Blatz like this.
  10. marky :)

marky :) Member

Just checking in to see if we've fired BOB yet. Nope? Okay carry on.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Coach Bill O’Brien isn’t getting fired. Neither is general manager Bill O’Brien. Nor assistant general manager Jack Easterby, for that matter.

No matter how loud fans and media howl for O’Brien to be fired, it ain’t happening. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

And there won’t be any changes in the management structure. O’Brien is the general manager without the title. Easterby, who completed his first season as executive vice president of team development, is the assistant GM without the title.

Nobody is being brought in over them. As long as O’Brien is coaching the Texans, he’ll also have the general manager’s responsibilities, so owner Cal McNair might as well give him the title. And while he’s at it, McNair should go ahead and add assistant GM to Easterby’s résumé because that’s what they are.

O’Brien and Easterby are a twosome — a gruesome twosome, depending on who you talk to. O’Brien answers to nobody but the McNairs — Cal and his mother, Janice, the controlling owner — and that’s not going to change.

Many in the organization expect O’Brien and Easterby to clean house now that they’ve been in charge since June when former general manager Brian Gaine was fired. They’ve got the power to do just about whatever they please as long as they can convince McNair to sign off on it. Their power of persuasion is pretty convincing.

Yes, O’Brien has a group around him that he consults, but when it comes to the final decision, it’s his and his alone with strong input from Easterby. On the larger issues, they make sure to keep McNair informed, so he’ll sign off on it.

O’Brien was asked Monday if he thought McNair would hire a general manager in the offseason? McNair isn’t going to hire one because he’s already got one — Trader Bill.

“I feel like where we are right now, the way I see it right now, it stays the way it is,” O’Brien said. “Again, we have a great group of people that meet daily, talk about the team, the roster, all the support staff, the subprograms that we have here and try to make the best decisions for the team.”

“I think we’re going to work here for a while,” he said about this week. “I’m going to take some time off, and those are things I’m going to really think about — what we can do better, what I can do better, what we can do better as a coaching staff. We’ll work hard to try to improve in a lot of areas.”

And it starts at the top with O’Brien and Easterby and how they’re going to handle their second offseason together to improve the team and try to see if the Texans will ever advance beyond the divisional round of the playoffs.

And if they don’t, eventually, they’ll both be fired. It just won’t be this year and probably not next year, either.

Asschin, meet d******d

[​IMG]

#5171 J.R., Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
  12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

DAMN Day 2 and he's still there....

[​IMG]

T_Man

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Since 2002, the Rockets have nearly four times as many first round exits (7) as conference finals appearances (2) - one of which required their semifinal opponent to author an all-time choke job. IMO, there's exactly one great organization in this town (with questionable ethics) and two incredible mediocre ones.

I will give the Rox credit for running off McHale after one of those conference appearances - but that was player/ego-driven and not necessarily a bold stroke by the front office. It'd be nice if Watson power-played BO'B out of here - but I don't see him being that kind of kid.

14. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not gonna get long winded about this because it seems pointless.

To say the Texans and Rockets over the last decade are comparable is legitimately one of the stupidest things I have ever seen posted from a non troll.

15. Hey Now!

Given there will never be any good 1:1 comparisons between sports - I'm at a loss what has been appreciably better - or generally good - about the Rockets over the past 10 years? You've been relishing routine 1st and 2nd round exits?

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

What are they basing their decision to keep O'Brien on? They have many better players than his first year including a franchise QB but aren't getting any better.

McClain: I have no idea. I don't know. You'd have to call them and ask Cal McNair.

There's no projection or feeling around the organization? They're running in place. I'm flabbergasted. Based on what are they deciding to keep him?

McClain: I'm guessing since they won the division 4 of the past 5 years. I'm guessing because they get to the playoffs almost every year.

They're also seeing the same bad mistakes in his game planning/coaching.

McClain: I don't know. You're asking the wrong person.

Has he met with Cal McNair?

McClain: I don't know.

McClain: He'd have to have 2 losing seasons to get fired. And as long as Watson is here, they won't be bad. Maybe at some point Cal gets tired of winning the AFCS.

How did he get this much power?

McClain: Cal McNair gave it to him.

On a scale of 1-10, how surprised would you be if Cal fired Bill?

McClain: 10. 11. I'd be shocked. It's not happening.

Should a 6th year HC have to be told to go for it by his QB with 11 minutes left down 17?

McClain: He didn't have to tell him. He did tell him. Players tell coaches things all the time. I'm assuming he's getting help upstairs there.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets were a hamstring injury away from winning the title two years ago.

The Texans have NEVER been that close. The Texans have never been a serious Super Bowl contender.

joshuaao and BigShasta like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

Well it is possible he won't be winning the AFCS in the next couple of seasons depending on what the Titans do.

The Texans already got incredibly lucky that Andrew Luck had health issues and retired.

19. Hey Now!

LOL. The Rockets were a hamstring injury away from still having to win 1 of 2 road games against the NBA's most dominant team... in the *conference* finals.

Using that logic, the Texans were a Lisfranc fracture away from winning the title in 2011.

20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Ok....well let’s get some real coordinators in here and let them do their job.

HC O’Brien
    OC ???
    DC Kris Richard