1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets owner Tilman Fertitta tells final hours of Paul, Westbrook deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by YOLO, Jan 10, 2020.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

2. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I have my doubts the MDA is a championship caliber coach

I don’t have any doubts that Tilman is the biggest culprit for our decline from our peak in 17-18

kjayp, Blatz, Richie_Rich and 14 others like this.
  3. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

This guy wants to be the next Jerry Jones or James Dolan.

I don't understand why he feels the need to talk so much.

kjayp, Qbthunny, jboslett and 12 others like this.
  4. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I really dread the day that Harden and Morey are gone. Tillman is James Dolan with a degree from Trump University: brash, headstrong and a penny-pincher. Smart basketball people will not want to work for him when it becomes clear what he's made Morey do in the name of saving money.

5. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

One of the most annoying things about Tilman to me is that he is a Houston native. He bought the hometown team and now he's being cheap. It feels like such a betrayal.

6. 13BeardsIN1

13BeardsIN1 Member

Weird how people don’t read. Old news.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Has harden become LeGM?

tycoonchip and ak99999 like this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Yeah, I thought this might be something new. Like Tilman saying Morey doesn't let him pay tax. He made the move WANTING to pay tax to win, but Morey won't let him.
    And he also doesn't realize that he saved on the tax last season. "That was all basketball ops moves"

Gray_Jay and snowconeman22 like this.
  9. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Tilman is making this team not fun to be a fan of.

kjayp, Blatz, Jontro and 3 others like this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I'm not as on board the cheap/bad bandwagon as most here. I honestly don't care that a guy like Gary Clark is waived, or they try to get under the LT if it isn't a clear this team is very likely to win a chip if just this move is made type team. Like this year's team, going over the cap to add a 10-15 mpg max type bench player isn't going to make a difference. If he doesn't pull the trigger on a legit deal, then sure.

That said, that he overruled everyone to push this deal through...

.. that should be EXTREMELY FRIGHTENING. EXTREMELY.

And honestly... it brings into question everything that's happened with DM since. Not that this is super super new info, but it definitely clarifies it and puts it into much more focus on how it went down. It would be one thing if Fertitta was like "I want to do this, I don't want to let it linger, let's all discuss and make a decision and if its 50/50 we'll do it". It's super clear now though that what happened was DM said "not the best fit and way too much value to give up" and Tilman was like "we're ****ing doing it".

FRIGHTENING!!!

Blatz, Jontro, Richie_Rich and 8 others like this.
  11. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

in any other major city, at least part of the media would call him out, for this and for the previous dozen transactions that were all about LTS

unfortunately houston has only one major newspaper though (mouthpiece feigen), and the rest of the media outlets probably reserve any criticism for fear of losing "access"

12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That's brutal. What a bozo.

I was SLEEPY. I said **** it, let's make a trade for the sake of changing. Please buy my book, I beg of you, please buy it.

#12 Ziggy, Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2020
  13. juanm34

juanm34 Member

Wonder who The Tilman has in mind for our next head coach????

14. JayZ750

Did he say anything about the moronic decision to extend Eric Gordon?? Not really a DM move either.

15. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I wasn't on board with the cheap train at first but it's been 1.5 years since he bought the team and he's added no salary. I understood not signing Ariza for $15MM. I understood getting rid of the Anderson contract. But it became over the top when they traded away their last big contact in Knight for Shump and then compounded it by not resigning Shump. The Rockets have essentially given away almost all of their financial flexibility to make moves and they dumped two first round picks in the process. They haven't used their exceptions either. Ariza turned into Oubre and Knight could have easily turned into Iggy. The short sightedness of the Tilman owned Rockets has been astounding. There is no argument that they have made moves to maximize their title odds and that's disappointing for a team that is so close.

16. nickb492

nickb492 Contributing Member

I'll reserve my judgment until the trade deadline. That will let me know if he is full of sh** or not. Have no problem with what he is saying. We have 4 years to make it work to win a ring. Most likely 3 but if they don't go ahead and do something to help the team in the trade deadline then we know that Tilman is lying. This is probably the best chance the Rockets have to win.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Morey is making a movie of when he traded for Harden 10 years ago and has been doing podcast about it for the last 10 years.

18. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

Prepare for disappointment. The Rockets don't have any expendable salary to make trades with. A marginal upgrade like Crowder is likely the best they can do unless they trade Clint.

Jontro, Corrosion and JVL713 like this.
  19. YOLO

YOLO Member

I'm not sure what you're expecting. the ability to make actual moves is very slim. the only thing the rockets can basically hope for is teams waiving guys the rockets can use.

20. JayZ750

I mean, that's fair, especially the disappointment about losing first round picks....

But I also thinks its fair to be realistic as a fan. I can't and don't expect the owner of the Houston sports franchise to be over the luxury tax over and over... which is effectively what you are alternatively proposing. I think Ariza was a DM move more than an owner move.

In any case, without getting into particulars on each and every move, I think it's fair for the Houston owner to say to the GM - "look, I'll go over the luxury tax if it makes 100% sense, but otherwise would prefer to maintain that flexibility until it does make 100% sense, cause I'm not doing it 3, 4 years in a row [side bar, almost no one is given the repeater tax that is super restrictive]" and then letting the general manager work.

I DO NOT think it is fair, smart, or a good sign in any way when the owner is going way beyond that to say "here's the deal we're doing, and we're definitely extending Gordon", etc, etc.

If DM is good/great, let him do his job under parameters that might be somewhat limiting, but not so much as to prevent the team from winning a ring. Then stay out of the way.

JVL713 likes this.