1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fire Bill O'Brien

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DonnyMost, Sep 23, 2016.

?

Should we fire Bill O'Brien?

1. Yes

76.0%
  2. No

15.9%
  3. Abstain (for the moment)

8.2%
  1. Mr. Space City

And that was mainly because of Wade Phillips and his defense.

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

And Peyton Manning was a coach on the field

3. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

We had that exact combination we were all ready to get rid of them. Also at the end of the day kubiak is going to go down as Superbowl winning coach

4. rugg31

rugg31 Member

Of the current NFL head coaches seven have won a Super Bowl with only Belichick winning multiples up to this minute. The way people talk around here you'd think half the coaches have won multiple Super Bowls because it's so easy.

Andy Reid who everyone seems to love has never won a Super Bowl and has a losing playoff record. Mike Tomlin has missed the playoffs five times in the last 11 years and has a losing playoff record over that time.

Winning consistently in the NFL isn't easy. Consistently winning in the playoffs is even harder.

Hey Now!, houstonstime and hiephopp like this.
  5. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

6. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Fire Bob O'Brien now or wait until the offseason?

BigShasta and SemisolidSnake like this.
  7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

That series with like a min left in regulation was possibly the worst coaching I've seen in professional sports. Thankfully Watson was able to pull enough plays out of his ass to get the win.

8. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

My issue with BOB is this team in spite of their talent on offense looks inept way too often. There was no excuse to be shut out for a half yesterday you weren't facing the 85 Bears. The defense has been an issue they got by with all year, but yesterdays tackling was beyond bad. if they tackle like that in KC it will be over quick.

I don't want to hear **** about Fuller this week I want to hear about him when I see him actually play and last an entire 4 quarters.

BigShasta and MIAGI99 like this.
  9. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Why, so he can go off and win a championship the year after he leaves

10. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

The BO'B hatred is, at this point, lazy and convenient: bad = BO'B's fault; good = not BO'B's fault. It really is that transparently silly.

The Texans outscored Buffalo 22-6 after halftime in which they very clearly made adjustments - both offensively and defensively. The coaching staff deserves credit - credit they will never get for some goalpost-moving reason.

Did they get lucky? Sure. Did it require an extraordinarily inhuman performance from Watson? Yep. But that's how it goes for very nearly every successful NFL head coach who isn't Bill Belichick. Luck, health and/or talent have the most impact on a coach's success. This notion that head coaches can (consistently) coach their way to victory needs to die. Few do.

They've won 22 of their last 34 games, including wins at KC and v NE. He's 1-1 in the postseason with Watson. Any discussion of Bill O'Brien at this point that doesn't begin at least with "average" is just an ax-grind that doesn't have much merit. He is - like the majority of successful NFL head coaches - fine.

rugg31 and Hank McDowell like this.
  11. Hey Now!

.... So we're going to be stuck with the head coach who puts us 60 minutes away from the city's first Super Bowl and... that is a bad thing? Like, do you have any awareness of how silly that is?

Not to mention, if the Texans beat the Chiefs - in Kansas City - to reach the AFC championship game, your reaction is going to be... disappointment? Wow. That's kind of sad, to be perfectly honest.

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your post is rude and condescending.

Any post that comments on Obrien that doesn't begin with at least "inept offensive coaching by an alleged offensive genius" is transparently silly and demonstrates blind homerism and isn't worthy of reading. :rolleyes:

Now, for an actual commentary on Obrien as a coach.

He has proven to be a great leader of men. His players never quit on him. They play hard for him. That cannot be underrated. I think that creates a floor for the team (barring disaster obviously like stars getting hurt, no QB, etc.) of 8-10 wins. His arrogance also puts a ceiling on the team in my opinion because he desperately needs someone else scheming the offense with him.

13. Hey Now!

I'm not good at counting, so help me out here... there are 8 teams left in the playoffs, right?: how many are from the superior NFC West and how many are from the inferior AFC South?...

I have to clarify this often: I'm not "blindly defending" BO'B - I'm pushing back on this absurd notion that he is a bad coach. That doesn't mean I think he's a great coach but he's eliminating more and more of your ammunition...

He's now 22-12 the past two years with a healthy Deshaun Watson and everyone wants to... complain?..... I don't get it. At all. I guess I'm the only person who remembers the Texans had three winning seasons and two playoff appearances in the 12 years before BO'B. Call me crazy - but I much prefer this stretch. I think we can all agree on that, right?... I mean... there's some default component at play but BO'B is pretty clearly..... the best coach in franchise history, based on results. We all kind of need to get over our axes.

rugg31 and houstonstime like this.
  14. justtxyank

And for the record, I get really annoyed with him but I don't want him fired. I really want him to get an offensive coordinator that has real power. I don't like his total control situation but I'm not blind to how well this team responds to him. There have been so many times under his watch that other teams would have quit on their coach and the Texans have hung in there.

joshuaao, houstonstime and Hey Now! like this.
  15. Hey Now!

It's OK to bathe in the gray - we don't all have to be black or white. He's fine, which is the default for nearly every successful NFL head coach (outside of Belichick).

He could be better, sure. He could upgrade his staff in such a way that would likely lead to greater creativity (although, again - he was *very* creative in 2014 and 2015). But overall, he's better than the general consensus and people need evolve and be more amendable. For instance! I still see references to him being conservative: he was second this year in 4th down attempts and there was nothing conservative about the decision to try and end the game yesterday on fourth down. He's done it all year.

People form an opinion, man - and DIG. IN. They just don't want to move.

houstonstime likes this.
  16. justtxyank

Yeah I don't think conservative is a good word for him at all. I think predictable at times (like running after an incompletion and all those ones you hear referenced where he's a lock to do a certain play kind of thing). I think he's stubborn (running up the middle when it doesn't work). But not really conservative. He WAS conservative when he had QBs who couldn't be trusted, but a conservative coach doesn't let his QB air it out like Watson does.

Hey Now! likes this.
  17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

That 0-3 start when they came back and rattled off 9 straight wins was amazing. Most teams quit after that. Wasnt all coaching, but coaching had a part in it.

Blatz likes this.
  18. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

19. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It was the right call. A 50-yarder with Fairbairn is pretty risky with his percentages this year.

It was the wrong play, though. You have Watson, an elusive QB, with a suspect O-line who rarely gives a RB more than a yard between the tackles. The right play was an option play.

Newlin likes this.
  20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Going for it on 4th and 1 was right.

Going for two down 10 with over a full quarter left in the game was the big sin of the night IMO.