1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1998 - 8th seed Rockets almost upset Jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 5, 2020.

1. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Hornacek would shoot 12 threes a game and hit 5 in this era.. Stockton was also a solid defender so both will thrive in this era

2. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

I went to game three. They had corrugated metal for walls behind the cheapest cheap seats at the top, and people were banging it nonstop. I still think it's the loudest game I've ever been to.

The Summit and RustyHarden like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I remember that game vividly...

4. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I remember watching that series. If Barkley doesn't blow out his bicep or whatever injury he sustained in Game 4, the Rockets likely pull off the upset. They were up big in that game and even though Utah likely would've clawed back into it in the 2nd half, I think the Rockets would've held on.

Now if it were a best-of-7 series like we have now, the Jazz probably pull it out eventually regardless of Chuckster's health. That Rockets team was old and had little depth.

5. elmotsang

elmotsang Member

Does 8 seed become warriors this year ?

6. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

that's the real key. not only were we up 2-1, but we were killing them in game 4. i think we may have literally played the best defensive quarter i've ever seen a rockets team play in the first quarter of that game. i wanna say utah didn't even hit double digits (maybe it was 27-11). either way, i seem to remember stockton or hornacek on about 4 different occasions picking up their dribble and having no where to go with the ball for a long time until they just threw something up to beat the shotclock. it was suffocating D.

we had methodically beaten the jazz for 3 games and i think the jazz were feeling the pressure in game 4. then the barkley injury bailed them out and basically left us with "post up hakeem", "post up willis" as the offense for 2 more games. willis couldn't do it and hakeem was too old to sustain it and drexler couldn't do anything and went a smooth 2-14 in game 5 and walked off the court smiling in his last game ever like it didn't matter (also thanks for leaving time on the clock for stockton's 3 the year before***).

*** also thanks for the second championship.

7. francis 4 prez

i don't think they'll risk bringing people back early or risk their high draft pick, but with how horrible the 8th seed is this year i've wondered if they could sneak out some wins and hold on long enough to get klay and curry back and go on a run to get to 36-38 wins and take on whoever is the 1st seed (that would be crazy to have to face 4 all-stars from last year as the 8th seed).

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah he tore a ligament in his elbow IIRC...we were up 10, and about to finish it.

DD

9. omgTHEpotential

Hornacek might be the best shooter to never make the 50/40/90 club.

He had so many close seasons:

54/41/86
    52/42/89
    51/44/89
    51/43/89
    51/41/88
    50/47/89

10. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Yep "tore his ligament". That was a dirty play. I remember watching that saying Carr needs to get his ass kicked.

11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Jerry Sloan was the dirtiest coach ever, and had a nasty homophobic streak to boot. Glad that slime never won a chip during all those years of cheating.

12. Mirri3000

Mirri3000 Member

Yea, it was definitely a 90’s move. Not going to call it cheap tho, honestly, that’s the way the 90’s played out. You go hard to the bucket, you get the hammer. You dominate a team? then go hard to the bucket? You get pulverized. It was dirty, but not cheap. There was total intent to hurt, but not injure.

Also, Stockton and Hornacek would certainly thrive in this era, as, pick and roll is still absurdly effective, and horny toad was an all time great shooter.

End notes..... f**k the j*zz. Jerry Sloan was a b***h azz of a coach.

bro2044 likes this.
  13. francis 4 prez

i always thought he was only behind miller in the 90's as a shooter, but i didn't realize he had that many 50/40 seasons. that's amazing for that era. also, crazy that he hit 89% 4 times, but the 90 part of 50/40/90 has always been kind of the quirky part of the equation. guys tend to be very stable on ft% (as those numbers show) so you're kind of either a 90+ guy or not. having a whole season of guarded shots at 50/40 is the elite part to me (especially since great shooters don't tend to shoot that many free throws a game).

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Oyster Tag is the worst.