1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1998 - 8th seed Rockets almost upset Jazz

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JW86, Jan 5, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

I just watched a 1998 play-off game and saw Rockets as the 8th seed up 2-1 on Jazz. I was surprised that we were an 8th seed and were actually up 2-1 on the team that eventually went to the finals. For those who watched that, how did we even go up and how come we were not able to close them out?

Based on the roster, it seems we were very old with Charles Jones, Willis and Eddie Johnson at 38,39 and 40 years old with Kevin Willis starting. I'm guessing with Barkley coming off the bench and Bullard starting we had some injury issues or just a very flawed roster as any team starting Bullard would not be expected to beat a Malone team.

Maybe Bullard starting was Rudy taking stretch 4 too far? Olajuwon was not the 94-95 player anymore either, but still we were up 2-1. So can anyone provide some insight? Would be much appreciated.

2. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Look up Antoine Carr pulling an Olynek on Barkley.

lilbird20 and Elephant810 like this.
  3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Jazz were a bunch of rotten, stinking cheaters.

topfive, D-rock, lilbird20 and 3 others like this.
  4. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Clyde got old?

5. JW86

JW86 Member

Seriously nobody?

6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

I still hate that John Stockton shot.
    Of course per j*zz usual there was a moving screen

7. JW86

JW86 Member

That’s 1997...

Xerobull, joshuaao, lilbird20 and 2 others like this.
  8. ikedog34

ikedog34 Member

We were smoking them...and then Barkley got knocked out of the series on a dirty shot.

9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Those role players for Utah use to give the rockets fits. Eisley, Anderson, Russell, and ostertag

BaselineFade likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Did you not read the replies?

topfive and lilbird20 like this.
  11. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

and even when the Rockets signed former Jazz players like Shandon Anderson and Antoine Carr, it never felt right, and they always sucked for us, almost as if they were still Jazz players now ruining our franchise from the inside.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Barkley tore his tricep in game 4 and we had no chance because Othella Harrington couldn't compete with Karl Malone in a wet dream much less in a playoff series.

tmoney1101, Xerobull and JW86 like this.
  13. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

The keyword is "almost"

In 2009, the Rockets almost upset the ultimate champion Lakers.
    In 2018, the Rockets almost upset the ultimate champion Warriors.

With the ways things are going, we will probably upset the Sacramento Kings in 2027 playoff......almost.

#13 vcchlw, Jan 5, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
  14. SemisolidSnake

Every account I've read (here's a decent one, didn't watch the series myself) pins losing Barkley as the reason the Rockets lost. In fact, here (warning: Utah website) they have a quote straight from Clyde: "We didn't have enough energy and we didn't have any firepower off the bench after we lost Charles to injury."

No source indicates any malicious intent, and some sources call the elbow to Barkley "accidental." The Utah source I link above doesn't even get the right Utah player involved in the injury. Just pointing this out; I don't expect anyone except this forum to be stirring up controversy about this after two decades, but that certainly doesn't mean I believe what all these other accounts say.

What I can't find is video of the incident in question. If anyone can, I'd like to see it for myself. Might have to find a copy of the whole game. Here's the play-by-play of Game 4 for reference if that helps.

JW86 likes this.
  15. lilbird20

lilbird20 Member

Don’t have video but I vividly remember Chuck hitting Carr with a mean up and under (in the midst of killing them) and Carr made sure to come down hard on Chuck’s arm to foul him. Not a clean play then or now.

heypartner and SemisolidSnake like this.
  16. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

"I have one thing to say to those non-believers: Don't ever underestimate the heart of a champion."
    Rudy Tomjanovich

D-rock likes this.
  17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Hornacek is a kid diddler. He was also assisted by stockton. **** both thems guys.

tmoney1101 and acsorelle4 like this.
  18. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

All I know is Hornacek and Stockton would not be able to flourish (as they did in the 90s) in this era. Imagine Hornacek or Stockton trying to guard Harden, Westbrook or even Ja Morant lol.

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

This take could possibly threaten to put the sun out of business

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

They weren't exactly athletic for their era, but they were both good shooters so they would be fine now.