1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Good Morning Football destroys the city of Houston.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by UrbanEnterprise, Jan 2, 2020.

1. UrbanEnterprise

yes they bring up basketball

alcatrazpsycho, jb86 and PhiSlamma15 like this.
  2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Other than discrediting the Rockets and Astros titles, which was stupid, I think he makes good points. It is time for the Texans to step up and the fans in Houston can be too nice. We could use more of a home advantage, especially the Texans and Rockets.

3. UrbanEnterprise

did you catch the Rudy T R.I.P. o_O

like I'm pretty sure hes still alive

saleem, Nivos, DM'sVP and 6 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

This.

The Astros and Rockets titles are legitimate.

As for the Texans, the fans will tolerate anything short of 4-12.

The Rockets have some issues in that their stadium set up isn't ideal, but even with that, there needs to be more involved fans like there used to be in the Summit 25 years ago.

5. rockets13champs

I’m excited to watch this lol all y’all gotta embrace the hate. Not try to stop the hate

bilaal14, Lawlruschang and BigShasta like this.
  6. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Probably should be in the Texans forum tbh but yeah...

I hate discrediting Hakeem's titles, just shows ignorance, Jordan played on of those years, stop giving Jordan titles he didn't win. That's all the media does is assume he'd win those 2 years when he didn't.

As for the Texans I'm not sure why he's blaming the fans for their mediocrity, talk about the ownership. I know people will say "Well, the fans spend money, it's ultimately their fault."

Yeah, and if the fans don't spend money and stop supporting the team the team will move.

The OWNER could do a little more to add an identity to the team. I think the 'Texans' entire brand is pretty generic, a generic name, generic color scheme, etc etc, the Oilers brand was more fresh and original, but there is nothing we can do about that right now.

saleem, kdchilds, da_juice and 4 others like this.
  7. SuraGotMadHops

Yawn....the discrediting of the Hakeem titles is so lazy. I guess the NBA should have just folded up after Jordan retired since all titles after that would have been without having to play Jordan.

Discrediting the Astros championship is even dumber, for about 100 reasons I won't even go into.

Yes, the Texans need to go deeper into the playoffs, no s*** sherlock.

Little Bit, saleem, cmoak1982 and 5 others like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t even care about the Texans slander, they’ve always been a disappointment...but if u come at the Rockets u need to get hit with the People’s Elbow

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

"You're on Saturday afternoon again because the networks put you there because that's when fewer people are watching. They don't think people want to watch Deshaun Watson anymore than they wanted to watch TJ Yates."

"17 years of Houston Texans football and your most memorable win is still the first game against the Cowboys in 2002"

"37 years of Houston Oilers football and your most memorable game was blowing a 32 point lead to the same franchise you're playing Saturday."

"Let's go to the Bill O'Brien era. They've seen you get blown out in 3 playoff games. Your one win was against the backup to the backup of the Raiders."

"You were blessed with one of the greatest defensive players to ever live. What does he have? ... JJ Watt is a rehab champ."

"These two NBA titles were a nice halftime show in the middle of the Jordan reign."

"Astros, you won the World Series (with a trash can)"

"The people think the Texans run 7th in your own state behind Cowboys, Longhorns, Aggies, Horned Frogs, Baylor Bears and any level of HS football"

"The most famous quote involving your city is from the 70s when a screw up on a space shuttle almost killed everyone. It's not a nice quote. It is a problem."

"Fans think Texans fans have no identity. Reliant Stadium has no nickname, no juice, zero fear factor. I remember a place down there called the House of Pain. Can you bring that attitude back & shut people the hell up? Are you tired of playing on Saturday?"

DAMMMMMMNNNNN :D

#9 J.R., Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Can you elaborate on this? I don’t know the city of Houston but I’m curios as you what exactly are the issues. I thought it was the location of the stadium with respect to traffic. Is that the main reason?

11. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

I feel his pain

12. Lurch

Lurch Live Wilder.

He’s right. Houston sucks.

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm not gonna waste my time my actually clicking that video. What point is he even trying to make?

The Texans have been supported through abject mediocrity. How f**king excited is the fanbase supposed to be by this organization, you can only be disappointed so much before you have a major crisis of faith. MMP is maybe the loudest stadium in baseball because fans actually believe.

I honestly don't know why the Rockets have so much trouble connecting, but the Astros and Texans are very well supported.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

I no longer live in Houston (but would under difference circumstances).

I think there are a number of issues. One is the actual design of the Toyota Center, it had lots of space and isn't as cramped as the Summit. Further attention was paid to the lower bowl down by the court. Those tickets are mostly bought by corporations and the tickets are used for marketing and client relations. As a result some are never used, some are used on people that are not basketball fans or fans of the Rockets.

When the Rockets played in the Summit, everyone was shoved together, the visibility was not the best but most of the "good seats" (there were fewer) were bought by local wealthy fans that were serious fans. Most of the business related stuff was done in sky boxes or very limited seating by the court. There were no restaurants, there was no lounge and there was no club seating. Simply stated there were fewer premium seats and everyone was closer to the action. With less space, the sound stayed inside the arena and would get very loud. Also there were few distractions, if you came to a Rockets game, you really wanted to see a Rockets game. The tickets were more affordable. I spent a lot of my childhood and into my teens at the Summit/Compaq Center and there were more gritty fans. There were a lot of serious basketball fans that didn't have a lot of money but could either afford season tickets or still go to 20 games a year. These fans were very invested in the game. Many of them were from traditionally black areas around UH and were huge Phi Slamma Jama fans. They usually grew up playing basketball, went to UH games, played and watched lots of local basketball and were huge Rockets fans.

When the Rockets first came to Houston, they would give away tickets. They advertised and appealed to working class fans and as a result they attracted a lot of those fans. Those fans are now either dead or cannot afford to go to the Toyota Center. If they do go, it isn't very often because of the cost associated.

The Toyota Center was brilliant in that it allowed for ownership to increase premium and club level seating tremendously. The prices are higher but still relatively inexpensive for the numerous large corporations in Houston that need to entertain. However many of those being entertained are not from Houston, are on business trips and are not fans. Often they are in the lounge area or are walking the concourse or leave early or come late. Also, there are far more distractions at the Toyota Center and as a result many people that go are not there just for basketball. It is genius in that it GREATLY has increased the amount of money the ownership can tap into. Sales of food, merchandise, season ticket profits and general ticket prices all allow for more revenue.

Winning a Championship several years ago would have likely helped. Harden would likely be treated as an all time great and the best player in the world. That would likely increase the buzz. The Rockets have tried fixing the problem in the past by having seating areas for more passionate fans. When Tillman bought the team he claimed the Rockets marketing was subpar, that he would address the lack or crowd noise and the situation with the lower bowl. He has done almost nothing, and I seriously believe that is because of how much money is generated.

These are all my own opinions and what a relative involved with the marketing department has told me over the years. I am sure some of it may have changed. I will say though that they have tried changing start times in the past and it didn't do much.

The last thing I would point out is that Houston is very spread out. Downtown isn't the population hub that it is in places in NY or Chicago or other similar sized cities. Because it is so spread out, there are less people in close proximity to the TC. It does make a difference.

Little Bit, da_juice, Dgn1 and 21 others like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, you suck.

16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Space Shuttle?

alcatrazpsycho likes this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, I think it is silly to suggest that Watson is just as marketable as TJ Yates.

It's the combination of the Texans VS the Bills that put us in that TV spot.

If this were KC vs Texans or Watson vs Patriots, we'd be in the primetime spot as well. Since it's not, it's just two younger teams trying to prove they belong. Pats vs Titans is at least a Goliath vs Underdog matchup. People are going to tune in hoping to see the Patriots lose to a spunky underdog team.

#17 JayGoogle, Jan 2, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    da_juice, Sajan and 34to11 like this.
  18. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Rocket fans lack of energy at home games is embarrassing. The last home game I attended was vs the Grizz on New Year's Eve of 2018. It was a fun game because Harden was on fire, but the whole makeup of the crowd is completely different compared to 25 years ago.

So many people on their phones, not really into the game. People hanging out around the bars, kids playing video games during game action. The passion just isn't there like it used to be. It's more of a social event. A lot of fans act they are too cool to scream for the home team.

What makes it more disturbing is that we have Harden. You would think that fans would get juiced up to watch an all time great performer, but the buzz just isn't there like it should be. Winning a ring should help the overall atmosphere. I don't know what can be done about the lower bowl situation.

19. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Great post. You nailed it.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

at this point, the only thing that will significantly help is winning an actual ring. the bandwagon will be alive once again much like the stros once they won. something different just needs to happen in the postseason. that's the only thing people care about at this point. Making with playoffs with harden with 50+ wins has just become a overall routine. Early exits just add to the less interest in the team. once people feel like the team as a real chance every year, the overall support will show much more consistently. MMP was empty prior to their WS win and so long as they remain competitive with a real chance, hou will still support and have MMP being one of loudest places to play in MLB