1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

"Washed up" Chris Paul is the best clutch player in the NBA and will be in All-Star Game this year

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by _RTM_, Dec 28, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Loneyroy7

Loneyroy7 Member

james Harden is playing the best basketball of his career alongside Westbrook.

It's a shame CP and his cancerous attitude/"leadership" couldn't do the same.

pr0wler and hakeem94 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Why is it laughable?

This OP is him making a potential return to the ASG not comparing him to Harden.

CP3 was never a pure scorer, not even in his prime.
    He is even smarter than JH being very undersized.

tycoonchip likes this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

get off his nuts

Where was all this last season? Where was all this in the playoffs against GS?

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Actually, putting up efficient stats on a bad team means a lot. Especially when your efficiency is matched by your defensive ability. And to say OKC is bad wouldn’t exactly be accurate.

Paul has been really really good this year. The main question I ever had going forward with him is still yet to be proven right or wrong and that’s being healthy throughout most of the year and the playoffs.

The talks of his demise were hugely overblown. But the health risk remains.

pr0wler, joshuaao, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i've watch most of OKC's games this season, including last nite's. CP3 rests up most of the 4th and then comes in with a few min left to be their main closer. and he has filled that role very well. last nite he actually had a very poor game (2-10 FG) until the final minutes of regulation, when he made about 1/2 of his shots (all midrange J's i believe). he's been great for them, but i don't think he'd be so efficient here if he had to carry the load when harden sits.

hakeem94 and jeevinesh like this.
  6. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Uhm a 65 win team with the best Record in the West is not good enough? Taking a Warriors team stacked to the brink of elimination wasn't good?
    Westbrook and his "cancerous" shooting is the reason why Harden has to score the way he is.

pr0wler and hakeem94 like this.
  7. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP3's body couldn't keep up with the ridiculous workload MDA depends on from his PG's. I think CP3 is a better player than Russ, but Russ can inefficiently carry the same work load of James Harden.

MDA didn't protect CP3 and James Harden refused to help lighten the load.

CP3 is able to chill while Dennis and SGA go to work. When you aren't going ISO every game, you can play b2b's and save those hamstrings.

Nook, Deuce, ronclone and 1 other person like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

pretty sure he’s referring to last season where Chris Paul was chilling on IR for 20 games, had 1 of his worst seasons, and showed up for 1 game against GS

if we had 17-18 CP3 and not 18-19 CP0, then he never would’ve been traded

9. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Stop sucking Ole Bron’s nuts @Reeko

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

kiss my ass Snow Villiers :cool:

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

This board is SUPER pro Harden & also very pro Daryl Morey. So naturally if Harden lays down in a crucial elimination game, you guys will find anywhere BUT James Harden to place blame. Same thing with Morey. The criticism CP got here was more of a protection of Harden's inability to close playoff games. CP didn't play well, but he still competed. My guess is he called Harden out on his lollygagging, Harden got mad ("how are you hold me accountable") and Morey traded him. Then you guys started you annual "washed up" nonsense. CP, like Melo, is FAR from washed up. If anything, most of you idiot posters are washed up

ronclone, CapelaOnlyFan and deshen like this.
  12. SemisolidSnake

Consistently-injured, hyper-expensive player in the tail end of his career and not getting any younger that also wanted to play a different system than the objectively-far-better star and the rather-inferior-but-immovable coach of the team. He's probably thriving because he's in a system where he can probably be more of a normal and controlling point guard.

When Paul signed on, I was thrilled because I was naively hoping that he would end up being something of a player-coach that brought more diversity to our play and could be a mature leader on the team that kept everyone sort of in line. I imagine he wanted to be that as well. However, if anything, the Rockets' offense went even more one-dimensional in his time here. Ultimately, I had to accept that while MDA was the coach and Morey was the GM, sophisticated, diversified, adjustable play is a pipe dream.

Really, what Westbrook brings actually does add diversity (when it works), but it's the diversity of raw, reckless power. It's pretty low IQ, but it's probably a better fit than high IQ Chris, the point guard micromanager, with no one to micromanage.

Also, yes, injuries matter. Probably more than anything. A cheaper Chris Paul might still be here given his duty cycle over two years with us, but at his salary, it's just not justifiable. Of course, everyone in the league also knew this, so it's damn miracle Morey could move him at all, and it was never going to be cheap or even neutral to do it.

If he's playing consistently and well this year on another team, then good for him. I don't have any ill will towards him. This is just a Charlie Morton situation. The Astros let Charlie go, partially because his injury history made re-signing him at a certain price too big a risk. No one could have predicted he'd have his healthiest, most productive year right after we let him go. And, thus, it was not necessarily the wrong decision, because 20-20 hindsight is not allowed.

I think of lot of these different player combinations with the Rockets ultimately fail or fail to reach their potential, because we don't have a coach that can assist in that happening. The coach has to do SOMETHING. You can't just put two focal guys with different playstyles out there and expect it to fully gel on its own. And you can't just ignore defense. Yes, you're going to get beat some percentage of the time, but that's different from straight up beating yourselves which should NEVER happen but happens incredibly frequently with the Rockets even when they win.

pahiyas, topfive and IvanLCPM like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

CP3 had one marginally bad season after a historic one and some on clutchfans want to say he was trash all along. wild.

ronclone, tycoonchip, pr0wler and 2 others like this.
  14. hou$tonScrew$tonTX

Yea
    It was obvious to anyone watching he is not the same athlete. Even if you’re right it’s only a matter of time before he’s injured.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

BSPN mode:

"CP3 breaks during playoffs. :cool:"

'Skip...SKIP... Chris Paul is one of the GREATEST point guards off all time!! :eek:'

"Are you forgetting his no shows with the clippers and his last two playoff disappointments? :rolleyes:"

'WHAT?? What!!! Ohhh nooo. Are you kidding me?? I'm remembering Point God forcing a game seven for the clippers and him putting a dagger against the best team in the league at a game five... That's the CP3 we all know and love Skyeeeeiiip :mad:'

"And if he didn't break... Woulda.... Coulda... Shoulda o_O"

#35 Invisible Fan, Dec 28, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2019
    hakeem94 likes this.
  16. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Agree that washed up may be an exaggeration but he certainly is on the decline and $40 million a year for that productivity isn't worth it. He should have taken less money if he wanted to stay in Houston and win.

Since he chose money, he should expect to be traded if he didn't perform to that level (which he didn't) in 2018-2019.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dude can hoop. Re-built his body by changing his diet. We already knew. Hope he finds his way onto a contender this year.

tycoonchip likes this.
  18. Air Yordan

Air Yordan Member

Legend

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

don’t gas yourself my guy

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. supastevefoo

supastevefoo Member