1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

In Retrospect, Thabo Sefolosha......

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jdhi, Dec 18, 2019.

1. jdhi

jdhi Member

Is the new Michael Carter Williams, who was the new Corey Brewer.

Just saying....

2. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Yeah he's washed. It's a shame because i really thought he was a good pickup in the summer and while the FO takes fliers on minimum salary guys every summer with the expection some wont pan out, I think they also thought he would be dependable for 15 minutes a night.

If you watch him off-ball you can sort see he knows what he has to do and where to be for the most part, he's just not got that quickness and strenght anymore. He gets caught out off a first step and it results in him fouling more than a savvy defensive vet normally would.

On offense he has been a disaster, despite being a very good 3 point shooter over the last couple of seasons. They were in a small volume, I think I've been underestimating how hard it is to fit in this sytem just by shooting 3's. It sounds easy, but it's we've had Shump and now Thabo who CAN shoot the 3 but are constantly hesitating and clearly aren't comfortable. Whereas someone like Gerald Green or Ben McLemore can miss 5 in a row but will take the next 5. I'll give even more credit to Ben for that. His first 12-13 games he was really struggling from the field, but he trusted his shot to come around - no doubt in part thanks to having the encouragement of James next to him

Houtho, ak99999, Lawlruschang and 6 others like this.
  3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

He's here to break defensive slumps. He's doing just fine. My hope is that he's Robert Horrying this season and he'll come up big when we need him. There's still players out there that give us fits. Thabo is here for that guy, not to give us night in/night out high level production. Some of y'all need to rethink your expectations.

Lawlruschang, MONON, gotsis and 10 others like this.
  4. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

His shooting has been dissapointing thus far shooting at only 28% from 3,while the past 2 years he was at around 40 % average,his defence is still there tho.With dfg of 44% percent that still pretty good for a 6-6 player playing at the 4 position,hes really playing out of positon.If he can bring his shooting back up to at least 35 % he be an asset.And while morey did gamble on him i think it was worth it. Rockets need another pf to back up pj ,also as i write this i noticed Russ defense is getting better just by looking at the stats.

carib, Nook and D-rock like this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

terrible signing from day 1. waste of a roster spot

gary clark is a much better option than him on the floor at this point. thabo literally has given the rockets next to nothing

6. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

He's like Nene. DNP-OLD. Wait until after the all-star break, that's when these ringchaser vets finally start burning their midnight oil, since they know they haven't got too much of it left. Even Tyson Chandler, we should probably just be bubble-wrapping him back up to regift to ourselves in the Spring. Give Hartenstein, Clark, and Clemons all their minutes, because we'll be needing the younger players the next three years to come.

ak99999, da_juice and Gray_Jay like this.
  7. treyk3

treyk3 Member

He's over the hill and was never that good. People got excited because he had a good shooting season last year in a small sample size.

Gerald Green, Nene, Tyson Chandler (much lesser extent), Thabo and Michael Frazier.

5 out of 15 guys cannot even see the court on a regular basis. We are the Mike D'Antoni of rosters. We literally give Mike 10 guys so he can choose 8 or 9 to play.

Morey is hamstrung by a cheap owner and we are lucky that McLemore is the best player in the NBA or we'd be screwed.

pr0wler, Boki4MvP, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

In retrospect, Hasheem Thabeet....

payaso likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

What a surprise. The old guy got worse than last season and worse than he's ever been. I guess that's 1 point for Father Time.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Seems like it's the second time we sign a guy coming off a good season with the Jazz (Iso Joe) just to see him suck here.

saleem and treyk3 like this.
  11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Save us Thabo!

By becoming salary filler.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Sucks that good defense isn't noticed until someone who sucks at it is on the court.

Thabo may not be a great offensive player but he knows where to be and how not to make mistakes.

Little Bit, Nook and BaselineFade like this.
  13. Reeko

Reeko Member

I liked the signing, but he’s horrendous offensively...he can’t make a shot

defensively he’s fine, but he’s Ryan Bowen level offensively

14. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I see this too. He got in the spurs game at our worst defensive moment.

And while I see what OP mentions on offense, it's clearly on defense he knows where to stand.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. macan

macan Member

we always get players who's 4 years too late

ak99999 and J Sizzle like this.
  16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I cannot remember a more useless player than Thabo Sefolosha. There have been worse players than him for the Rockets, but I cannot remember anybody who truly just does so little on the court than him.

17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

still tippin' on fo fo's

macan likes this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

Another scrubby Morey signing.
    He's good at that.

19. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

This cheap owner stuff is nonsense. Rockets took a major risk when trading for Chris Paul. It nearly paid off, but the consequence of that trade is that we are now capped out. If we had won a championship in the last two years no one would complain that Tilman is cheap. For the record he does come off like a hick and a little over involved but him being cheap isn’t the reason we have such little room to make roster moves.

don grahamleone likes this.
  20. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

It's not Morey's fault he is forced to fill out the roster with vet minimum deals. Those will bust much more often than not.