1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN+] NBA trade deadline: What we're hearing about all 30 teams play

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fryjol7, Dec 17, 2019.

1. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Hello everyone, did not see this posted before. Thought about Random Trade ideas, anyway, maybe this is can help us to more realistic about our 19-20 discussion.

I also believe we are all kind of expecting something to be done on the roster, but does not look like we have a lot of room to operate.
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/28239290/nba-trade-deadline-hearing-all-30-teams

Worth mentioning there is a 2nd article on the home page today, called:
    Which NBA contenders can land the top trade targets?
    https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/28315198/which-nba-contenders-land-top-trade-targets

And guess what? We are not mentioned there. Hope it makes a good read for you.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

ESPN's "what we're hearing" is just what has already been written by other writers and said on their own talk shows.

#2 topfive, Dec 17, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2019
  3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Isaiah Hartenstein
    Thabo Sefolosha
    NeNe
    These players IMO are good as gone.

When we cut them .. . . .
    I think Hartenstein lands on his feet somewhere else.
    What teams could use a big man - - -
    The Heat, The suns, Spurs, Pelicans Maybe

MacLemore will be retained
    Clark is on the line .

Rocket River

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

I used to be in the "can't trade PJ or Capela unless we get back a borderline star" camp, but the more I look at what Tilman has done since he took over, the less optimistic I am about the coming years. This year might well be our last opportunity to win a chip under this owner, and the team as currently constructed isn't good enough.

If I'm Morey, I know the league understands the situation the owner has put me in, and I swing for the fences this time. If you do nothing, we likely can't win it all, so might as well do anything and hope for the best. Do something insane and see what happens. Worst is you get fired this summer, in which case someone else will sign you within days.

5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

[​IMG]

6. Highlyrated

Highlyrated Member

U crazy if u think they cutting harstein ,dude is like 21 yrs old ,and has a dfg of 40% that's damn near elite defense even better than PJ.

bj3175, 34to11, ak99999 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why don't they play him then?

Rocket River

Smacktle, Dacamel, saleem and 2 others like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Rockets aren't trading Tucker for anybody near his salary that can adequately replace what he does for the Rockets. I'd trade Capela, but nobody is trading a real solid wing-type player for a center on a large contract, so are you getting any better if that's what you do? And as you mentioned...Morey has exactly zero leverage in any sort of negotiating. Who's going to hand him a good deal right now?

Tilman killed whatever chances the Rockets had to get better. He asked for this. There's really just nothing that can be done, save for a marginal buyout guy coming in. It sucks, but we already knew this was the case.

9. macan

macan Member

in other words..we ain't getting Kevin Love?...

Remlap likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

so we're $185k above right now, plus capela's likely incentive for rebounds. our trade program will no doubt correlate with these #'s

smp, saleem, RocketWalta and 7 others like this.
  11. xaos

xaos Member

Unfortunately this fact seems to be the most predictable thing about the remainder of the season other than Harden being a dominant (understatement) scorer

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I’m glad they put in that blurb about ownership

Anderson trade , knight trade , Ennis trade , and probably a few more im forgetting

I know our roster isn’t as good as it could be because we’ve made moves that gave up assets or contracts that would turn into assets in return for savings .

13. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Good point, at this point we all know the entire organization is sure about his job this year, and nothing more after that. Everyone but Russ and James.
    Morey may as well go all in, if it backfires, he accelerates his dismissal and the Knicks are dying to get someone like him.

I think another issue with Fertita, is that he has created a situation where many of the stakeholders (MDA and DM) are better served by pursuing their selfish interest rather than the collective good.

On parallel, the lack of assets seems to come from 3 to 4 years where we go for the "final move", you can't keep doing that without depleting your assets.

tmoney1101 and Gray_Jay like this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Again........ ESPN is clueless.

Yes it is hard for the Rockets to add a player making 15-20 million a year, but that does not prevent moves that can tangibly help the Rockets more than the players individual contribution.

The Rockets are going to be targeting guys that play the 3/4 and 4/5 effectively as role players. They will not be able to put the ball on the floor and create, but they will be able to defend multiple spots and hit 3's well enough to destroy the spacing any further.

There are a number of these guys out there, and there will be teams willing to deal role players. The Rockets have their #1 pick to play will.

Last year it did not look like there would be anyone out there for the Rockets, and Morey had a deal to get JaMychal Green and Garrett Templeton before ownership drug their feet.

Something WILL get done if at all possible, it just isn't going to be a flashy name, but it will be likely a couple deals to add players that address our weaknesses.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Uh, MDA prefers seasoned vets in their latter years? OK, seriously, it's tough to get onto the court for MDA. I hope there's no major owie that turns Hart into heart'n'soul of rotation, tho.

roslolian likes this.
  16. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

how will they be able to add talent and at the same time shed salary to get below the taxline? does not compute imo

tmoney1101 and Nook like this.
  17. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

I hear you, and not doubting, just trying to get some light and what this moves could be? Gordon? Capela? Both of those would be major moves.

Otherwise we have just 1 pick, so there is 1 deal to be made. Right? And I'm not sure we should spend a 1st round on an Iman Shumpert move. Guess that my concern is not that we are not going to move, but that it seems we are going to do it at a high cost.
    Maybe if you could suggest some names that fit that profile I could see your point better. Do you mean guys like Marvin Harrison/Dedmon/Bacon? Are those kind of guys worth a 1st?

Not sure if it was confusing, just trying to pick your brain here

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

By moving Capela i think is the only answer to the question, like the thing Nook talked about few days ago, basically Capela, Nene and other trash out (20M), Covington and Noel in (13M), add one or two buyout guys and we're still under the tax with an improved team, maybe.

19. JackLordsHair66

Yeah it's clear as day we aren't going to be able to get anyone of significance and frankly there's just no way I'm buying that this team is remotely good enough to compete realistically for a championship with this roster. Once Harden and Russ are gone this franchise is really going to suck badly and clearly the bulk of the blame is squarely on this twat Tilman. That dude may be a brilliant businessman, but he's going to likely go down as one of the worst NBA owners ever with the future prospects of this team looming large (unless something bizarre like a Harden trade were to happen and that has to happen this year or next to facilitate a huge haul, and you know that's not going to happen nor would most of us want it to). Man things just feel and look bleak ...

Corrosion likes this.
  20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

last night i was yelling "fuking p***y" and "******* idiot" at least 6-7 times in response to capela's F ups. and even i don't wanna trade him for covington :D

btw that turnover w/ 4sec left was one of dumbest plays i've ever seen in an nba game, right up there with that tucker-gordon inbounds play

roslolian, Theking, Corrosion and 3 others like this.