1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Patriots’ Caserio likely headed to Texans next season

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ItsMyFault, Oct 20, 2019.

1. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

you make some good points but I disagree with some of the points, I don't think tunsil or Watson will be highest paid at their position (no way Watson gets more than the MVP/ less injury history Mahomes)
    I also think the short sightedness is ties to Watson being on his rookie contract. I do not believe we have given away a lot of our top picks once Watson starts getting paid besides the 2021 picks (the first year his big contract will kick in) I am all for the Tunsil trade because I think with him and our 2 rookies (and yes the overpaid center), we will have a line that will hold up well for years to come which leaves the draft picks overtime to cover for Dline, and DBs.

this is probably the best case scenario for us at this point.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I believe we don't pick until the 4th round next year, so it's pretty much worthless. My count on lost picks is below. Could be wrong.

1st Tunsil
    2nd Tunsil
    3rd Duke Johnson
    3rd Gareon Conley

1st Tunsil

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

For 9-7/10-6? :D

Gray_Jay likes this.
  4. showa13

showa13 Member

The 2nd is in 2021, we have our 2020 2nd round pick. And with this model you look at it like this.

We picked Tunsil with our 2020 1st
    We picked Duke Johnson and Gareon Conley with our 2020 3rd round picks(and we’re most likely getting a 3rd round comp pick for Kareem Jackson).

So we didn’t just trade these picks away for dust or air, we actually got proven(exception Conley) NFL talent. Me personally would rather have proven talent than hoping a 3rd round pick pans out or picking a bust in the 1st. Also talent is found in every round of the draft, yes it’s more likely to be better earlier but the bust rate is in the 40s% range in the 1st. A 1st round pick is not a guarantee

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Most of those Free Agents won't cost much and are easily replaced by others. JJo is gone (retired most likely). Roby will cost the most, but not top level CB money. Hargreaves is not getting much on the open market. The rest are replaceable (Texans have 3 other TEs....and Fells isn't getting big money at 33). Mercilus is not getting big money at his production, Reader will get a nice contract....won't prohibit anything.

You don't understand the concept: They have trade 3 draft picks that were not replaced (2- 1st, and a 2nd), not 10. Texans will have an extra 3rd and 4th this year. First round picks in 20s is really roulette.

The next CBA affects Watson. If they separate QBs out of the cap, won't be an issue. You weren't going to get Superstar between 20-32 in the draft...for the most part (good players...not superstars). Tunsil is better than any player you have gotten in those spots.

You do realize he had the approval of ownership to do those trades? Billionaires ALLOWED him to do those trades.
    NFL rosters is not C-suite. Sports on the field is not Corporate America.

Find another team if u think they are the Titanic. I'm sure they will happily accept you.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You are wrong, as usual.

WRITE this down:

2020/2021 Texans have or will have these picks (official compensatory picks won't be announced til Feb/March...but the formula is known). Christian Covington may land a 5th or 6th round compensatory pick.

2020:
    2nd round
    3rd round (Compensatory - Kareem Jackson)
    3rd round (possible Compensatory)
    4th round (Miami)
    4th round
    5th round
    7th round.

2021: Free Agent losses will result in Compensatory picks, not known until who is lost (if Roby and Reader are lost...most likely 3rds for both. Mercilus...depends).

3rd round
    4th round
    5th round
    6th round (Miami)
    6th round
    7th round

The last draft like 2021 resulted in: Justin Reid, TE Thomas, TE Akins, KeKe Coutee, Duke Ejiofor (Remember him, he will come back), and Peter Kalambayi LB (is getting more time without Cole).

If you scout and evaluate, you can do well in the later rounds.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Notwithstanding the actual draft picks they still have seems a bit confusing, picks may not pan out, and that I personally am not as concerned about the trading of picks when there are theoretically various ways to fill a roster (albeit, hitting on a high percentage of lots of picks is likely the "best" way in a capped league)....

The problem with the above approach is that while they did get contributing players for those traded picks, those contributing players seem to be contributing to another 9-7/10-6 season that will end at best in an early playoff loss.

If they used to picks and ended up with the same results - as effectively they have for the last 5 years - we'd still be in the same position, potentially wanting a regime change.

In other words.... OK, they can trade picks for players, use picks, be smart about FA, whatever. I don't care. Field a team and coaching staff with a legit SB champion possibility in your 6 years. That's it.

8. showa13

showa13 Member

The last part is why I’m on the fire BOB train. That part comes down to him. This team is talented enough to win a SB, but it’s coached to a 9-7/10-6 level.

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Easy buddy. Sounds like your ass is stinging from that pounding Drew Lock gave your boy O'Brien.

HOUSTON TEXANS

Projected compensatory picks: One in Round 3; one in Round 7.
    Key free-agent losses: Tyrann Mathieu (Chiefs); Kareem Jackson (Broncos).
    Key free-agent additions: Bradley Roby (Broncos).
    Comp-pick analysis: The additions of Tashaun Gipson and Matt Kalil do not count against the Texans, as Gipson and Kalil were released by their former teams. The signing of Bradley Roby will count against the Texans, though, and he cancels out the loss of Kareem Jackson. This leaves the Texans with a third-rounder for Tyrann Mathieu and a seventh-rounder for Kendall Lamm (Browns). It's possible that they will get one additional seventh-rounder from the loss of Christian Covington (Cowboys).

Sooty likes this.
  10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that I'd support this as option A, but given how unlikely it is for B'Ob to be fired, why not offer him the GM job only and then bring in a new coach. He gets to remain employed, in Houston, with his buddy McNair, and the team gets new coaching.

"win"-win?

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I guess reading comprehension is not your strong suit. There was another possible 3rd rounder....based on some formula tied to Honey Badger. That's why I put POSSIBLE. Convington could be as high as a 6th. Should have put 5.

They are assured of 1 - 3rd rounder.

Drew Lock gave Romeo the ass kicking. O'Brien just stunk it up on the offensive side. Not my "Boy".

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Just because you have compensatory picks doesn't mean you should waste your other picks.

Weird argument.

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Bring Josh McDaniels with him

the11mingdynasty likes this.
  15. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

16. showa13

showa13 Member

Draft picks are not 14 karat diamonds, more often than not they don't pan out

17. Mr. Clutch

Argument doesn't follow. Just because there are busts doesn't mean draft picks aren't valuable

18. showa13

showa13 Member

Never said they weren’t, just not to the level you put them at. Proven talent > unproven hope. Getting a player who doesn’t need much development via trade of a pick doesn’t devalue picks.

19. Mr. Clutch

Depends on multiple factors such as contract status, years is service and who the prospect is. There's also no guarantee any player we trade for will be good for us

20. showa13

showa13 Member

Which factors in the pick we trade for said player. There’s an even less guarantee that the player we pick with a 3rd will be better than the known commodity you’d get for that pick.