1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Peleton

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tinman, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Nook

Nook Member

What if they didn't ask for an exercise bike, would that be cool?

Yes, if your spouse asks for an exercise bike then no one should care..... if they didn't? Well I can see a woman being pissed off.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

There are so many assumptions being made by the outraged community.

1. maybe the wife asked for it
    2. maybe she wants to stay physically fit (not weight wise). exercise is not just for losing weight (and on a related note, you don't need to exercise to lose weight either)
    3. maybe they have a marriage where they can get either gifts without getting fking offended about it.

newsflash, skinny people also exercise and eat right. i hate when people just assume oh i am skinny/fit because i just have a good metabolism. no you idiot, i am aware of what i eat and what i weigh and take active measures to stay that way.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Hard to imagine someone buying a $2500 social media inspired bike for someone who didn't want it.

jiggyfly and Nook like this.
  4. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Thanks to the internet I know now that my wife's desire for a home gym and an elliptical or rowing machine is actually just a cry for help against the oppressive patriarchy that I have unwittingly been a part of due to having gonads.

JumpMan, slcrocket, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  5. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think a big reaction to this commercial isn't so much that he got her an exercise bike for Christmas (although I can see how you'd tread lightly there), but the over the top dialogue and acting.

1. What the heck is she "scared" of? Its an exercise bike. She obviously already works out.
    2. You notice no actual "change" in the commercial, she doesn't obviously lose weight since she was already thin...so is the "change" spiritual? Emotional? That's laying it on pretty thick.
    3. Vlogging about working out on a $2500 bike screams 2019.

Not to mention the acting is Star Wars prequel awkward.

BigM and tinman like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

You would be surprised.

You are smart enough to not do that, but I have known and come across lots of men that are so tone deaf that they do those types of things.

I had a former employee that bought his wife $1,000 in Home Depot gift cards for her 25th anniversary gift. That did not go well at all.

I knew another man that bought his wife a gym membership for her Christmas gift. She never asked for a gym membership. She had a baby 18 months earlier and explained the gift during a fight as "a way to firm up."

I have also known several men that have bought their wives lingerie for their birthdays.... that didn't go over very well.

So shockingly it happens........ and no matter how much you strongly suggest NOT to go down that path, they still do.

7. justtxyank

That's cool if you are annoyed by the ad I get that. The "outrage" though is very specific about it being wrong to buy a woman exercise equipment because that promotes negative body images and that a husband should love his wife, blah blah blah.

I think the % of husbands who surprise their wife with a $2500 exercise bike with a $40 monthly charge that she has never said ANYTHING about is close to 0.

The 2019 thing is so true. It's likely that a husband who buys this has a wife who is big on social media, follows blogs, etc. where this bike is super trendy. She's then mentioned it to him and he made that her present because $2500 is a lot of money and she's cool with it.

8. Nook

Nook Member

Buying exercise equipment for your wife when she asks for it is perfectly fine.

Buying exercise equipment for your wife when she hasn't? Yeah that is pretty shitty.

Women already have a lot of beauty expectations/pressure from society.

9. justtxyank

Do you know people who are into Peleton?

I just can't say enough that this isn't random exercise equipment. People who are into it are normally heavily influenced by social media folks. This isn't buying a gym membership.

Nook likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

I do somewhat.

I don't think that they were aiming for how some are taking the advertisement.

I will just say that some of the "outrage" by women (and in fairness I think it is being overblown) is based on women having received gifts and suggestions similar to this.

11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Well it just depends on context. If your spouse is overweight and has no interest in exercising than a stationary bike probably isn’t the right choice. But if your spouse loves working out or even more specifically spin classes, than a surprise Peleton may be perfect even if they didn’t ask for it.

There’s nothing wrong with the lady in the commercial being delighted by receiving an exercise bike.

Sajan and Nook like this.
  12. justtxyank

I think the outrage is just largely the new "outrage culture." A lot of what I've seen on social media is MEN white knighting.

The outrage is just over the top, as usual.

jcf, Cold Hard and Sajan like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah I don't think it should be a major story on social media (which it has become), I can just see women rolling their eyes at the commercial or not liking it based on history.

14. Nook

Nook Member

That is fair..... and no, getting a spouse that isn't interested in exercise an exercise bike is asking for trouble.

BigM likes this.
  15. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Oh please.

It's not a great commercial and I thought that when I 1st saw it but this cancel culture has got to go.

Was probably a fat chick who started it.
    :D

tinman likes this.
  16. Buck Turgidson

50 Questions About The Peloton AD:

What is going on here?

Why is this woman so excited about getting a Peloton bike for Christmas?

Why didn’t she just get one when she first wanted one?

I mean, sure, at $2500 up front and $40 per month its not a small purchase for most people, but … [gestures to the beautiful modern home the couple lives in] … I assume they can afford splurges like this?

Has her husband been denying her the bike for some reason?

Is she not allowed to spend money or something?

Is that what’s happening here?

Is this some sort of dark short film about a controlling husband?

Or did he just, like, surprise his wife with an exercise bike for Christmas?

What kind of maniac would surprise their partner with an exercise bike on Christmas morning?

I mean, it appears to have worked, I guess, but really?

And, while this is admittedly less important given everything else we’re dealing with already… how did he even get this sucker into his living room without her noticing?

Was he dragging it up the sidewalk and over the landing and across the floor at like 4:30 AM, after they had already set up the tree with the other presents?

What if she had thought he was a robber?

What if she thought this was a Grinch situation where someone was popping into their house in the middle of the night to steal their presents?

What if she had shot him?

Could you make a decent argument that she’d be better off?

[​IMG]
    Do you see it?

Do you see the problem with this image?

[​IMG]
    WHY ARE THESE PARENTS FREAKING OUT ABOUT AN EXERCISE BIKE BEFORE THEIR DAUGHTER HAS OPENED A SINGLE PRESENT ON CHRISTMAS MORNING?

I mean, come on, right?

What kind of monsters are we dealing with here?

Would it even surprise you at this point to learn that this guy woke his daughter up in the middle of the night on Christmas and made her help him bring the godforsaken electronic bicycle into the house?

How much do you hate these people already?

So much, right?

[​IMG]
    What is happening here?

Why is she documenting her usage of this exercise bike?

Is he making her do this?

Are we back to this controlling thing where he was like “Prove to me that you’re using the expensive thing I bought you,” as though his wife is a child?

Do you think she spends every second of every training session thinking “I wish this were a real bike so I could pedal away from this hellscape of a life I’ve found myself in”?

Or is she legitimately excited about it?

If so… isn’t this starting to feel like a cult?

Look at her eyes… aren’t those the eyes of a person who is trapped by… something?

Ma’am, are you okay?

ARE YOU OKAY, MA’AM?

[​IMG]
    Why are some of her videos filmed in portrait mode and some in landscape?

Who is holding the camera in the landscape ones where she has both hands on the bike?

Is… is she making her daughter film her riding this Peloton?

What do you think that poor kid even got for Christmas, once she was finally allowed to open her presents, presumably after her parents took between five and one million selfies of themselves in front of the Peloton?

Probably classes in the A/V department at the local community college so she could help with the editing, huh?

[​IMG]
    Wait a second, the daughter is sitting at her desk in this one, which means it was filmed… with a tripod?

Is that what’s happening here?

Does this maniac have her phone set up landscape view on a freaking tripod to document her riding an exercise bike?

What the hell?

And then we find out that all of this was just to make a video to show her husband how much she loves her Peloton?

Like he doesn’t live in the house with her and see her drag herself out of bed at 6 AM to go ride it?

And this poor kid is left to color at her desk while all this is going on, with her dad getting her mom an exercise bike for Christmas and her mom going full-on Stockholm Syndrome about it all?

Do… do we need to save this kid?

Do we need to swoop in and give this kid a real Christmas where she gets to open presents before her unhinged parents?

What if the video the lady showed her husband had an extra five seconds of footage added in and she was like “Hmm, I was pretty sure it was 41 seconds, not 46,” and they kept watching to see what was there and after her part finished it cut to a shot of their daughter dumping gasoline on the Peloton in the driveway and then cackling like a supervillain as the flames melted the display and warped the metal beams until it became a mangled and twisted memory of her ruined childhood?

That would have been pretty cool.

https://uproxx.com/tv/peloton-christmas-commercial-50-questions/5/

Nook, DCkid and KingCheetah like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Don't you be talking about the Lemu Emu.

That's the ****.

Nook likes this.
  18. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This commercial is just as bad -- this white man assumes his subordinate wife wants the prissy soccer mom crossover and not the large, heavily chromed boomer truck. Truly sickening -- boycott Buick errrrr GMC trucks.

Nook, boomboom, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This is the worst part of the commercial why is this such a life changing thing for her?

20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The are the questions I asked when I 1st watched it.

And so much this.

Look at her eyes… aren’t those the eyes of a person who is trapped by… something?

#60 jiggyfly, Dec 5, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2019