1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

UT Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rockets1616, Aug 17, 2011.

1. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

The team is not winning, it wastes the time to pay an attention to it, too many things need to be to done in each day. Hope it will be great next year with more good players from new class.

Brando2101 likes this.
  2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

He did and they were much improved despite being on their 3rd string QB. I’m fine with Harrell if we can pull him in.

Brando2101 likes this.
  3. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Is there anyone other than Chip Brown reporting the story?

4. Nook

Nook Member

I think there are a lot of reasons.

It is even farther from the Vince Young days so the relevance or level of fandom is somewhat related.

Over the last 10 years UT is 70-57... that is a long time and that is a very mediocre period of time.

The end for Mac Brown wasn't pretty, then Strong was poor and Herman really hasn't been so great either.

If UT starts being in the top 4-5 and plays for a title, the interest will pick up.

Further I remember reading an article and it said that the enthusiasm for college football in general is falling... so that could be part of it.

You asked about UH.... there are still posts on there, and even with a poor year, they have in general been trending in the right direction.... still it isn't like it is a hot bed of posts either.

5. gucci888

Anwar Richardson reported he was a candidate. Eric Nahlin from Inside Texas just tweeted that Herman and Harrell are meeting here in town today.

Update: Looks like USC is retaining Helton so would expect things to move quick now.

Brando2101 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Whaddya want me to say? I've seen this same stuff for many several years now. I'm at "prove it" stage.

I did like one of Kirk Bohl's idiotic suggestions this week: UT/USC in the Alamo Bowl, Harrell coaches USC's offense for the first half and UT for the 2nd.

#12326 Buck Turgidson, Dec 4, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2019
    Frank Drebin and Hustle Town like this.
  7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

If Herman lands Harrell that's gonna be BRUtal to one former commit. Ouch.

8. payaso

payaso Member

Here's a name... Riverboat Ron Rivera.

If you heard his exit presser, he wants to continue to form young men.

He's a big, no BS former pro, with a decent pro coaching pedigree... much better than the last pro-to-college success story... Nick Saban.

Thoughts?

9. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we’ve all been spinning our wheels in this thread now for years. I still enjoy commenting with the regulars here because we all still want to follow the program, to an extent, despite our mediocrity. There have not been many fair weather fans or trolls in here for years, so discussion has largely stayed on topic.

Colt got hurt against Alabama in my junior year of school and everything else since then hasn’t been worth getting too riled up about. We look good in spurts, but have mostly been mediocre to bad. But, if Texas is ever truly “back,” us thread regulars will have weathered the storm.

LonghornFan likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Looking back, going all in with Gilbert with no credible backup plan (and why wouldn't they, everyone agreed he was the next big thing) was the thing they never recovered from.

mtbrays, raining threes and gucci888 like this.
  11. gucci888

Saban wasn’t a pro to college guy at all. But think Rivera will get another NFL HC gig somewhere.

12. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

He looked so promising against Alabama. :(

13. payaso

payaso Member

Did he not coach the Dolphins for the 05-06 seasons?

14. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

Yea, after being head coach at Toledo, Ok St and winning a national title at LSU. Pete Carrol is a better example.

Nook likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

Tom Herman is a very talented coach.

There is more going on that has made UT an overall disappointment for many decades in college football.

The assets, location and fan base is such that UT should be a top 2-3 program and they aren't and haven't been in 40 years other than a 4-5 run under Mac Brown.

16. mtbrays

Supporting Member

Yeah, I will always believe Garrett Gilbert was the turning point for this program. Mack pushed all of chips onto the table with him and Gilbert's failure to produce left us without a backup plan. The program has been playing catchup to his failure now for years in one way or another.

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He wasn’t developed well and lots of others weren’t either
    Urban Meyer was shocked we didn’t put enough people in the NFL given the recruiting classes

18. mtbrays

Supporting Member

No disputing that. But, I also think Mack thought Gilbert was going to be the next Colt. He had all of the raw talent and was the #1 QB recruit in the country. Mack didn't plan on that failing.

19. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gilbert worked his way to being a nfl backup this year same as colt
    Irony

20. Frank Drebin

Frank Drebin Member

Harrell and Ash sound like the odds on favorites. Harrell should be good, possibly great. Ash will be solid I think. Defense is really about teaching fundamentals and proper positioning at this point. There are no great defensive minds really. Just put your superior athletes in the best position to make a play.

Either way, I think Herman lives and dies with these hires. If they fail, he's out in a couple years. If they prosper, Texas could be back to where Mack had it in his heyday. He's got the recruiting chops and I think his players play hard for him. We showed some real mental toughness against K-state and Iowa State this season.