1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans trade Jadeveon Clowney to Seattle

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Aug 31, 2019.

?

Do you like the trade?

Poll closed Aug 30, 2020.
  1. YES

5.6%
  2. NO

94.4%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

SEATTLE -- On that late-August afternoon when Jadeveon Clowney stormed out of NRG Stadium as a member of the Houston Texans for what he correctly assumed would be the final time, the disruptive defensive end was not a happy man. Having been resigned to accepting the one-year tender the Texans had offered him under the franchise tag, then likely hitting free agency after the 2019 campaign, the first overall pick of the 2014 draft felt blindsided by the sudden realization that he was no longer in Houston coach Bill O'Brien's plans.

"What people don't know about that situation was, O'Brien called me five or six times over the offseason, and I always told him I would come in and sign the tender, but not till right before the season," Clowney said Monday night after helping his new team, the Seattle Seahawks, to a 37-30 victory over the Minnesota Vikings in front of 69,080 grateful fans at CenturyLink Field. "I love Houston, and I love my dudes, but I wasn't under contract, so I wasn't going to take the risk (during the preseason).

"It was getting close to the time I said I'd come in, and all of a sudden [O'Brien] called me and said, 'You need to come in and talk to us.' When I got there they're talking about me signing the tender and going to the Dolphins (via trade). They said, 'It'll be good for you and good for us.' I'm like, 'Good for me? They're gonna tank the season for a damn quarterback! Find me a team that can win, and I'll sign the damn tender.'

"People say, 'He was trying to leave.' That's a lie. I didn't ask them to trade me. I didn't even ask them to pay me any more. I just wanted to play one last year with my teammates. But hey, it's part of the business. It was a business move, and I got the short end of the stick at the time. Now? It looks like I got the big end of the stick."

[...]

"He's a wild man out there," Carroll said of Clowney nearly an hour after Monday's game, at the entrance to a cleared-out Seahawks locker room. "If you're [an opposing quarterback], you don't know when he's gonna cut loose and get in your mug, and he's making a huge difference. I'm really proud of what this team is all about -- we should've done this last year. We're getting there, and we get a little better here before all is said and done."

[...]

"I didn't know we were this good when I got here, and I think a lot of people still don't know what we've got going on," said Clowney, whose night included a forced fumble, a tackle for loss and a quarterback hurry. "We're a very resilient team. This team doesn't ever quit. We never fold. We know we're gonna play hard and come out and try to dominate every game. That's how we feel when we walk in this building. We don't care about the score. We don't care about anything. We don't think we're ever out of the game.

"I've never been so confident. I feel like we're going somewhere. This is a special group. We've got good players at every position, and our quarterback is amazing. Sometimes, even during games, I have to remind myself what we have here. I'm like, 'Damn, are we that f------ good?' "

[...]

Clowney, who terrorized the Niners throughout that game (and was awarded NFC Defensive Player of the Week honors), sat out the Seahawks' subsequent victory over the Philadelphia Eagles with a hip/core injury that he'll likely have to manage for the remainder of the season.

If he has his way, he'll be playing well into January -- and, perhaps, in early February -- for a franchise that tasted Super Bowl success six seasons ago, came within a painful yard of repeating and has since rediscovered the physical ground attack it enjoyed during Lynch's Beast Mode heyday.

"The running game is a staple of our offense," said veteran left tackle Duane Brown, a former Texans teammate of Clowney's who was acquired by Schneider in a savvy deal just before the 2017 trade deadline. "We're a very confident team, and that's just the culture here -- the culture that those guys (Sherman, Thomas, Lynch et al.) helped build, and which has lived on. We've fought through a lot of adversity."

In late August, after Clowney rejected the Texans' attempt to trade him to Miami, it was Brown who helped convince his former teammate that Seattle would be a favorable destination. Suffice it to say, Brown is happy it worked out.

"That was key," Brown said of the trade. "He's a very disruptive player. Even though his stats aren't mind-blowing, other teams know you've got to account for him, and trust me, he's affecting the game."

[...]

The Seahawks, of course, feel similarly. Clowney, for one, is daring to dream. Given the way the end of his time with the Texans played out, he wouldn't mind meeting up with his old team -- in the Dolphins' home stadium, of all places -- on Super Sunday.

"That's the next time we can see them," Clowney said, laughing. "That's cool. I swear, I didn't want to leave there (this year). I guess it was O'Brien's call. My attitude was, 'See you around -- hopefully.' But hey, we're 10-2, so I don't care anymore. We have a great team, and I know where we're headed."

After another momentous Monday night, Clowney and the Seahawks are one step closer to their goal.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Texans are giving up basically 2 points less a game and only allowing 6 more yards a game than Seattle without Clowney. Jacob Martin has a 1/2 sack less than Clowney, while playing only playing 20% of the snaps.

With Clowney, perception is more than reality. Glad it has helped Seattle. Let’s see if they actually put their money where their mouth is.

3. Nimo

Nimo Member

Almost everyone knew this but some on here tried to argue it away as rumor.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Im not gonna argue about what they got in return, Clowney had a good season last season. He makes spectacular plays and is solid against the run. That's not a sure fire first round pick in terms of trades. This a passing league and he just doesn't get to the qb enough.

In terms of telling him he was going to be traded, HE didn't sign the tag, so HE put them in a precarious position of having to trade him to a team he was going to have to agree to. doesn't matter that they told him, the issue is he wasn't signed. Before people argue go read Clowney's comments. He was coming to camp.

He and Watt had good seasons but against the Colts in the playoffs they didn't get a sack. O'Brien has clearly decided against investing in pass rush. He knows he will score points when offense is healthy and force teams to keep up and has decided to put more into the secondary. As long as the offense is healthy this should play out as they have planned

#844 pgabriel, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
  5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

It's been a great trade for Seattle. They love Clowney up here.

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

He told them he was going to come in. Everyone knew this. They didn't HAVE to do anything. They could have left him play the year out. It's obvious (except to a couple stubborn fans) that the Texans didn't want him anymore, regardless of the price. Hence why they are paying half his salary to play elsewhere. They made the decision to trade him, no one forced them to do anything.

This 2019 team would be better if Clowney was on it. They had the cap space for it. They had a willing Clowney for it. The Texans just didn't want him here for some reason. And I get it. He is not the first player O'Brien hasn't wanted. He's the coach (and defacto GM); it's his decision. I'm not even mad about it. But let's not act like this was on JD or that JD sucks or some other nonsense like that.

Deshaun was bad against the Colts. Mercilus was bad against the Colts. Hopkins (due to being hurt) was bad against the Colts. Fuller was unavailable against the Colts. Just about the only player that wasn't bad was Coutee and he's now in the dog house. Bringing up Watt and Clowney for that game is irrelevant.

What money did he put in the secondary? Brady Roby? That's it. And it's a one year deal. We'll see how the next offseason plays out. I've said the Texans are fine for this year with all their moves. It remains to be seen how their moves affect the next few years.

7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

A couple of things.

I think in terms of not keeping him they decided to move on and use his cap space elsewhere in the future. The argument against O'Brien is he still could have waited to sign him then trade him. Who knows why they told him, maybe Miami didn't want to wait.

On the secondary, you are right, i think they just wanted his cap space. As far as the Colts game, the pass rush as a whole never showed up against better competition

8. Nimo

Nimo Member

BS. We are not talking about cap space in the future. We are talking about 2019. The deadline to worry about the future expired in July. They have cap space. They are paying $8 mil for Clowney and about $5.5 for Martin and MIngo. They are saving like $2 or $3 mil in cap space this year by trading him. This was not about cap space.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So they're paying him this year. Such a stupid complaint. It'lll be over next year

Im talking long-term

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

LOL
    I'm not sure if you're trolling, intentionally ignoring my posts, or just stubborn. I'll try again.

Clowney playing in 2019 has no implications for long-term cap space. The deadline for long-term passed in July. Once that deadline passed, they could have either played him this year or trade him. They CHOSE the latter.

I don't even have a complaint. They chose the path to get rid of him and I believe they got less than they could have gotten. But that's whatever. A good comparison is Duane Brown who the Texans actually got good value for in a trade.

edit: difference in Duane's case is that Duane is the one that wanted to leave.

#850 Nimo, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    Buck Turgidson and Mr. Clutch like this.
  11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I know his contract has no long term implications. You're arguing to argue, if they don't want him long term why hold on for a year. Its still half his contract in space this season and good riddance afterward

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

With Clowney we might have 1 less loss and be in serious contention for a 1st round bye.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The defense sucks this year. Clowney isn't the only reason, but a big reason. The defense was good last time watt got hurt because clowney was here

14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Clowney has never been a good pass rusher. He makes his money by being the best run defender at his position. Sets the edge better than any dlineman. Gets lots of tfl which are essentially sacks. Sure Martin has almost as many sacks but don’t fool yourself into thinking he’s replacing Clowney. We really could use him to beat Baltimore..

I don’t think he will be worth whatever contract he gets next, but we should have kept him to play his last year here..

15. Buck Turgidson

This is just ******* gibberish.

16. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the point is clear. You wanna challenge it fine, but stop stalking me

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

You don’t give big money to run stoppers and
    And what loss would that be? Not the Saints (is he taking the place of Colvin?) or Ravens. The Colts? Only if he played DB. Panthers? Only if he told D-Hop not to throw that ball.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

This has become the new D-Mo thread...

Pringles and Mr.Scarface like this.
  19. raining threes

The defense doesn't suck this yr. Even with a beatup secondary? Clowney would've made a difference but I'm glad they made the trade because the Clowney trade allowed Conley to be acquired and without that trade and the Hargreaves signing the season would've been sunk. Things worked out well for both sides.

20. Nimo

Nimo Member

I'm glad I cut my hand off now I can use it to scratch my back

Nook likes this.