1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

CP3 has a better WS, BPM, VORP, PER, and onoff than westbrook

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I know Westbrook has better counting stats, and he is more healthy, but pretty much every advanced stat and efficiency stat says CP3 has been a better player than Westbrook this year.

I know harden wanted this move, but just people like to criticize LeGM maybe harden deserves some criticism too. Would you consider taking CP3 back?

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  2. clos4life

clos4life Member

Nope. I saw what CP3 looked like last season and I want no part of that. If I have to pay someone 40+ I would rather it be Westbrook.

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

As a CP3 supporter, I still want to see a healthy, fully integrated Westbrook before I start pining for CP3 again. CP3 is smarter and much better shooter, so his transition was much smoother. I will tell you one thing, I will probably never get used to the way Westbrook plays.

HewbieTrippin, ElPigto, Nook and 21 others like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Meh I don’t know.

I’m more concerned about the lost draft picks and the draft pick swaps.

The thing about Westbrook is that he still has a higher upside than Paul if ownership allows Morey to make the proper moves.

Also don’t underestimate the rebounding and size difference we have with Westbrook. Where we miss Paul is on defense where he is the most complete defensive point guard in the league.

Matt78777, DreamShook, Easy and 9 others like this.
  5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

CP3 is playing with nobody in OKC. hes the main guy. The correct comparison would be CP3 this year to Westbrook last year. Or CP3 last year to RW this year. I'm too lazy to do it for you.

this is just bad analytics.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

There are many people who believe that Harden's game doesn't translate well in the playoffs because when he does his stuff against the same defender game after game, they figure him out. I feel there's some truth to that. And if so, the way you deal with that is to give opponents other looks and not rely on the same Harden iso over and over. You make them defend other stuff too so they can't just key on Harden.

CP3 was that guy in 2018. He was able to share the load and provide that second star usage and value. Last season he couldn't do it. He had trouble even getting that 15 footer last playoffs, and that's something he could get all the time before. He is now basically a role player. Probably the best role player in the game but he's not a star. It's 50/50 whether Westbrook will kill us in the playoffs or be the 2nd star we need. I don't know. But at least I know he's not a role player.

Nelly, Mazulis, topfive and 7 others like this.
  7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

We've pretty much flip-flopped in terms of pace as teams after swapping the 2. Of course they've also lost Paul George, but the Rockets are a top-4 or so team in pace this year. They were a bottom-4 team last year. The faster we play, the more shots we can jack, yo!

D-rock, mike2k132 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I dont trust Chris Paul knees with no knee tendons. Which causes hamstring injuries.

He is bone on bone. He is playing with knee injection tendon.

Germany founded when Kobe Bryant went to Germany for this treatment.

9. HardLin

HardLin Member

Whether Westbrook is a better player for us than CP3 is still to be determined.
    From Morey/Tilman's point of view it's clear that he's a much more valuable asset though, so if he doesn't work out, we flip him.
    That was always the plan.

smp, amaru and FrontRunner like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

OKC is a team that gutted its superstar players in the offseason.

CP3's numbers should be better than last year, but it looks like he's declining 10% from his peak every year and his game hasn't stabilized yet.

amaru, BigShasta and FrontRunner like this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Stats don’t tell the whole story, even advanced ones .

CP3 and RW have different games and different roles .

I really like what Russ has brought this year and still think that the trade was good. While Russ has already brought a lot I can’t wait to see how our team continues to evolve.

I think Russ is making things easier on James (after we completely figure out the double teaming) and I’ve already seen James off ball more this year .

Russ is just explosive in different ways than cp3 . And while I won’t forget the cp3 that led us vs the jazz in that game 5 two years ago , that cp3 is also gone.

I think Russ will get healthier as the season goes on whereas cp3 will break down , especially if he was asked to play more intensely (like in the playoffs)

It’s possible in wrong and cp3 has found the secret to regaining some explosion , after all , I haven’t watched any OKC games this year. But the D will eventually be able to force him to beat his man 1on 1 and idk if he can do that at a high level anymore

JoeBarelyCares, smp, D-rock and 4 others like this.
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

How many games with CP3 play - over under 55.

When will he have an injury that takes him out for extended time ?

13. BigBum

BigBum Member

I don’t care about stats.
    Westbrook > Paul

my formula
    Westbrook = Paul + 1 First + 1 Swap

Morey overpaid Thunder.

Highlyrated likes this.
  14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Ehh CP3 playing with a worse squad as the main guy would make all the superior advanced stats and efficiency even more impressive.

All the focus is on him and he has little help. It should be harder for him to have good efficiency and advanced stats.

Westbrook theoretically is in a MUCH better situation to where his efficiency and net rating numbers should sky rocket.

But they aren’t.

And to your post... CP3 is superior statistically in either scenario.

Paul has been and still is the better player for winning games.... IF he’s available.

harold bingo and HP3 like this.
  15. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Paul is better.

This was an awful trade.

tycoonchip likes this.
  16. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

He actually isn’t. He lets guys shoot all game and he takes over at the end of quarters.
    Gallo/Schroeder/Shia all shoot more than him.

He’s just super efficient when he has it.

17. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I prefer Westbrook. They're both flawed players at this point, but CP has no chance of ever dominating a series ever again. He's too old and he can barely get past big men off the bounce. While Westbrook has a lower floor, he also has a higher ceiling. I think he gives us a better shot at the title. Plus he's available to play (knock on wood). Best ability is availability (s/o Ben Golliver)

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

CP is not the same and he won't be for the rest of his career. No longer a star... there's no way I'd take him back unless there's a buyout. Even in that scenario, I'm sure he'd rather go join LAL over us anyways...

19. macan

macan Member

only if CP was 5 years younger..no one can escape father time..
    Russ bring speed into our transition. it's so much enjoyable to watch than old man CP walk the ball up for 24 seconds..plus CP just can't stay healthy..
    so yes, i say Russ > CP right now.

Mazulis, D-rock, RudyTBag and 6 others like this.
  20. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I hear Paul also has a bigger ween.

#TeamCP3

tycoonchip likes this.