1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So the Astros 2017 title is tainted

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by rockets13champs, Nov 12, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

A part of me thinks that the general public doesn't really care about what's going on. Definitely could be wrong. But I just think this since baseball is more in the background to the NBA and definitely the NFL. Everyone and their dog knew about the Patriots thing because it's the NFL and was all over ESPN, but is this anything close to that?

2. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

As far as exposure goes you’ve hit the nail on the head. My wife watches all the “wake up morning news shows” and this has gotten zero attention and isn’t even mentioned but the Patriots stuff was a constant topic. It hasn’t hurt that the impeachment hearings have been going on also

3. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Does anyone really expect anything else out of baseball? I can't remember the MLB not being the league of shenanigans.

Rock Block and htwnbandit like this.
  4. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Not to mention the Myles Garrett incident.

Rock Block likes this.
  5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

If it wasn’t for this thread I wouldn’t hear about it at all. This and coworker chat I suppose.

whiskeyred, Rock Block and arkoe like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Regular season! (Fingers crossed)

mikol13 and IowaAstro like this.
  8. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Agreed but it's because the general public doesn't care about baseball at all in general. Baseball today is an "OK Boomer" sport and getting older every year.

9. astros123

astros123 Member

Oh god i pray that this is true. Best outcome possible

mikol13, texans1095, AB423 and 3 others like this.
  10. awc713

awc713 Member

That’s accurate. What’s scary is that the segment of the population that *does* care has already made up their mind as far as what they believe happened, irrespective of the investigation.

The New Yorker referenced a fascinating study a few years ago, that as a trial attorney I often reference. The study found that the majority of people believe what they want to believe regardless of the facts presented to them.

Here, it doesn’t matter what the investigation concludes or determines. Most MLB fans have made up their minds that the Astros are cheaters irrespective of whatever the investigation unfolds.

Although the “general public” probably doesn’t care...a large segment of MLB’s fans do care, and greatly so. I do agree with some prior takes that it seems more impactful or prevalent to us since were in the eye of the storm.

everyday eddie and htwnbandit like this.
  11. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Then we moved to the little bandaid buzzers or whatever it is they think we did.

Astros don’t **** around with trashcans in the playoffs.

Rock Block likes this.
  12. HTown2017Champs

Fingers crossed, and prayers sent that it is just that and nothing else. If this was, say, Jul-Sep 2017, and stopped prior to the playoffs, and around the time the Boston scandal was unearthed/punished, it isn't as bad. Yes, it's still cheating, but it also gives us the "we heard what happened with BOS and immediately stopped" argument. Not our fault that it wasn't unearthed until now (and thanks to Mike "Snitch" Fiers), and some LAD players (Pederson?), who lost to us in the WS, have spoken out about their belief that MLB knew what was going on and said nothing until Fiers opened his mouth. Hoping just a fine or something is the punishment.

Yes, whistling during the postseason games could be heard, but I don't think any of it meant jack sh*t. Fans love to get loud, and . The timing (before the catcher makes his sign) was suspect, and there was no correlation between length/pattern/volume of whistle and pitch thrown. I'm sure this is just fan noise, unlike the banging. And there are probably similar noises at other ballparks. Whistling is one way fans make noise when they're excited.

Lots of truth to this. Ratings are down, and baseball just isn't as big of a deal. Sifting through mainstream news sources, this just hasn't been getting the coverage, say, Deflategate got. When LeBron entered FA (all three times), it was a HUGE story, and even non-fans were interested in where he went. Baseball just wasn't what it once was in terms of popularity.

desihooper likes this.
  13. CinematicFusion

Astros are being investigated for using an advanced algorithm that was discovered while testing quantum physics.
    Astros have been able to look into the pitchers mind and determine what the pitcher will pitch before he even knows he will pitch it.
    They then used a trained squirrel in the rafters to interpret these readings and tell the Astros players.
    Truly impressive stuff

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Honestly, it feels like the Taubman thing was worse media wise.

Astros mainly getting coverage from butthurt Yankee blowhards.

League will punish differently but if there are yawns and eyerolls, just keep your head down, maintain that everyone does it, and push for a modern answer to a digital problem

15. awc713

awc713 Member

So...is Manfred going to investigate Sam Dyson on his recent animal abuse/DV allegations or should the league wait for Jomboy videos first?

htwnbandit and moonsh0t like this.
  16. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

WTF did I just read?

htwnbandit likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Woman has been abused.
    Woman doesn't leave man (Sam Dyson).
    Man throws box with cat inside it at woman.
    Woman sees it is wrong to treat cat that way, and understands she shouldn't be treated that way, either.
    Woman and cat leave man.

18. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

But from cat's POV? It makes the whole thing seem whimsical when the subject matter is anything but.

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

People deal with trauma is different ways.

And why is this thread looking more like a political thread. Nothing but "But HER eMAiLs!" whataboutism.

NotInMyHouse, msn and moonsh0t like this.
  20. Marteen

Marteen Member

Would you rather talk about the Rockets losing 3 straight and getting sonned by the Mavericks? Like you said, people deal with trauma in different ways. Let people mourn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.