1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Mavericks @ Rockets 11/24/2019

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 23, 2019.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Klay and curry can’t carry a team like harden
    It’s obvious
    @Reeko
    They can’t even stay healthy

2. Mr. Space City

I would say that everybody not named harden and house, should focus on getting to the rim instead of shooting, but 99% of the team trash at that as well.

So many guys with poor handles, poor finishing abilty, on top of being trash from 3.

BigggReddd likes this.
  3. BeBreezy

BeBreezy Member

No, I knew exactly what you were talking about. Other players have done it too, though I'll concede to you that it's most commonly used to save time and not waste it. But I've been watching CP forever and have seen him do it both ways.

HP3 likes this.
  4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

It's not one single thing that caused this loss. It was both the garbage rotations by Dumbtoni and poor bench play of the Rockets.

But just remember, who's job is it to experiment with new rotations on the fly to try and stop the bench drought? Clemons, Clark and Hartenstein will rot all season.

mike2k132 likes this.
  5. Reeko

Reeko Member

it’s a shame that something like that even needs to be explained

“Harden doesn’t move without the ball”...smh, keep crying about that while he generates countless open shots for his teammates that brick

we average 18 open, and 20 wide open threes a game...give GS or several other teams that number of good looks and they’re hitting 40% of them...we can barely hit 33-34%

we’ve been an old, slow team filled with incredible brick layers for years...I don’t think we’ve had 1 above average 3 point shooting team in the Harden era...that’s 8 seasons of below average shooting as a team

fckbandwagons, SamFisher and HP3 like this.
  6. Mr. Space City

Almost every game the opposing teams "others" go off from 3 against the rockets while our role players and bench put up 6/93882827277288 nights.

If Mclemore went to other team, trust he would go back to consistently shooting 39% from 3 again.

7. Gabe0941

Gabe0941 Member

Expect teams to double Harden from here on out unless our 3P shots improve.

It’s literally all you gotta do.

BigShasta likes this.
  8. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

I don't really blame coach for not playing him this game too much because dallas just had so much size.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mike:

They played great first of all. Got some players who were playing. One of those games where you gotta force yourself to have the juice to start. 2:30 start, coming back from LA, emotional game Friday. We were flat. They weren't. They punched us good. We fought all the way back & when you do that, you run out of gas. Had to play James extra minutes early to get us stabilized and didn't have the juice to finish it off. They played really well.

Cut it to 5. Missed a 3, missed a layup. Stuff happens. You try not to get down by 20 before you start.

How do you feel about your defense at this point in the season?

Can you ask me 2 days ago or 10 days ago? Today it wasn't good. They're hard to guard. Our legs weren't real good. We have work to do. I've seen flashes of good. Tonight it wasn't real good. OK, got a skid going, gotta right the ship and get back & do what's right.

After losing 3 in a row, how do you prepare for the next game?

Like winning 3 in a row. Turn the page. Don't think about it. It's over.

NBA's favorite white boy's game?

Was great in Europe. Great basketball player. Big body, strong, shoots threes, stepback, has everything. Loves to play. Has a great future.

BigShasta, lionaire and Vivi like this.
  10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Our team is by far the most one-dimensional "contender" I've ever seen.

Mr. Space City likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For sure, man, expected it to be much closer.

12. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

ok cool.

cp3 is super smart tho. so that putting him in like the best iq player category. n that w wa s my point. that he has super high iq

now u throw inthe physical attributes. u dont see that often. only lbj can make claim to both those

BeBreezy likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Funny, Mike, your guys tend to run out of gas frequently, and you love your 7-8 man rotations.

Gray_Jay and Vivi like this.
  14. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

The go to move is always to blame Harden but there are too many games where everyone else is shooting like 0 - 20% from three for that. Its ridiculous. Anyway if you are getting **** kicked 3 in a row and 1 loss to dallas it was time during our win streak to think of something and they havent. MDA playing guys playoff minutes lol Fire MDA and make some trades ASAP.

15. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Highlighted for your viewing pleasure.

16. TimDuncanDonaut

Agree. Sometimes vet point guards know where their guys like the pass. In the bread basket, pass not too low ...etc Maybe it's something the team can practice on, so the shooters feels like they are in rhythm when launching the shot. Russ and Harden find the open the guy in the first swing, sometimes the ball swings again to the next open guy, it'd be good if everyone (not just the guards) know where everyone likes the ball.

Ask PJ for advice? Copy his drills?, he seems to be one of the few that hits shot consistently this season.

#876 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 24, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
  17. payaso

payaso Member

I can appreciate where you're coming from; the veteran talent level for what the org wants to do is tenuous at best. And the org sees draft slots as the asset that all teams prefer to having players with league time, so why try holding and developing them when you might be able to score an 'undervalued asset' with the right combination, or a somewhat past-prime NBA Pantheon dweller (CP3, RWB) with a blockbuster draft pick package?
    But as to critical thinking... the league has caught up, and teams with talented bigs can use length that this team lacks.
    I wonder what would happen if someone just caught a wild hair up the squint-eye and went with Harty-Capela in at the same time to at least control the offensive glass? I choose to imagine it could end up as found money.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He could, if he chose to be a borderline journey man, but staying in Houston and growing his brand is commendable, nothing wrong with that.

19. JackLordsHair66

I didn't even watch the bulk of the last qtr cause I could feel it coming, we were down large double digits most of the game and expend crazy energy getting it top 4 then absolutely suck azz the rest of the qtr, sort what we do better than most other teams. Hardens 1-14 was hot garbage too, he does this and it's hard to understand

20. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

I'd like to use Clemons more I agree, I think him being a rookie and undersized hurts him defensively. If he can improve I think he would get more time. Clark I don't really have faith in yet but we'll see, Hartenstien is good in spurts, but his offense isn't good enough yet and I would only play him if Chandler is unable.

The bench getting only six points before garbage time and only shooting 22% from three killed us imo. I don't blame the coach here, but we can agree to disagree.

I think better bench play for catch and shoot threes and missing Gordon (when he plays like his usual self, not this season so far) hurt us.

I hate losing as much as any fan, I understand. But I think there were some good adjustments we can learn from for next game.