1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worriers Tanking for Top Pick?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 27, 2019.

1. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Yes, why I asked. He seems to be getting more injury prone. Happens to everyone, and maybe particularly to those with a slighter build, like he has. The pounding takes a toll. Hence, he's getting to the age where age alone will decrease his athleticism, then compound that with injuries (and increased recovery time from them).

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think he was injury prone to begin with, health concerns were one of the reasons he didnt get a max deal on his first extension

3. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agree...making the concern all the more valid now. I think he's got a few years at this level left...maybe not even that.

4. Sajan

Sajan Member

Yup..which ironically was the reason they were able to sign all those star players.

BigDog63 likes this.
  5. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Didn't Jerry West build the Warriors, and is now w the Clippers? The guy is a magician, I doubt Warriors get back to the level they once were.

6. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Haha! True...hadn't thought about that part!

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Execs Worried Warriors Could 'Load Up' After 'Gap Year'

With the loss of Kevin Durant to the Brooklyn Nets coupled with injuries to Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson, the Golden State Warriors are 4-19 and will almost certainly have a high draft pick in 2020. This could allow the Warriors to reload on the fly and start a new trend of "a gap year."

"The people I talk to around the league are really worried they are going to trade that first-round pick, the 2020 pick, because if they load up with an All-Star-type player with that pick, they are terrified," Tom Haberstroh said during the Warriors-Hornets telecast on Wednesday. "Or if they land a Luka Doncic in the draft, they're terrified. So that 2020 pick, adding to the group they have established here with [Eric] Paschall stepping in right away, man, I think every team is going to try to do a gap year."

The Warriors will also have a taxpayer exception worth around $17 million and a taxpayer mid-level exception.

snowconeman22 and Vivi like this.
  8. Handles

Handles Member

From historic team to pathetic tankers, all in the span of one season. What a joke the NBA is.

This is part of the reason ratings are down. These teams that don't even try if they're not good enough to win it all are ridiculous. It makes a mockery of the "competitiveness" of the league. Nobody cares until playoffs anymore. I want to see teams battle, not resign to being the worst. I actually feel for these GSW fans that sunk all that money on season tickets to watch brittle boy carry them. So much for that lol. I'd ask for a refund.

(Side tangent: can you even imagine Harden sitting out a season just because his team sucked? It would never happen. He'd single-handily carry us to the playoffs like he did his first year here.)

Hate Les if you want, but he never wanted to tank. We all experienced multiple years of being the best team to not make the playoffs before we landed Harden. We never gave up even though that's the easy route. I actually respect Les for that in hindsight. Those Lowry/Scola/Dragic/Martin/Adelman teams were still fun to watch and we battled every game.

9. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Soccer style relegation (to G League) would solve tanking but I doubt we'll ever see relegation in American sports.

10. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

It would be cool to see the bottom 3 teams actually have the last 3 picks and the lotto picks start after that.
    Then teams would try to fight out of last place, but there's no easy way to "tank" because they could fall into the last place category. Any tanking would happen later in the year when it was assured they wouldn't get the bottom 3.

11. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

Maybe, I just think that GS is just a bad team without stars on the floor.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

Joe Lacob & Peter Guber are being cheap!

Warriors Could Look To Shed Salary By Deadline To Avoid Repeater Tax

The Golden State Warriors are $6 million away from the tax line and successfully getting below it would save them approximately $10 million this season plus approximately $34 million in repeater tax penalties for 20-21. Golden State's payroll for 20-21 could reach $175 million or more based current estimates.

The Warriors could trade Kevon Looney, who makes $4.4 million then also waive Marquese Chriss before his guarantee date in January and then also unload the $2.1 million contract of Willie Cauley-Stein.

The Warriors have a major financial incentive to clear salary in what has become a "gap season".

Vivi likes this.
  13. Vivi

Vivi Member

"Trade Capela and get Looney", i can already see this being post 100 times in next weeks.

I'd gladly leave Looney in Golden State and let them pay the repeater but i can already see a Cuban help them anyway

14. Nook

Nook Member

Being cheap when your goal is to lose.... that is smart.

Being cheap when you have one of the 15 best players in NBA history, in his prime and a team coming off 65 wins....... that is STUPID.

Deckard, Sajan, arno_ed and 1 other person like this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

2019 Est. Luxury Tax Bill $15,046,712

2018 Est. Luxury Tax Bill $51,487,868

2017 Est. Luxury Tax Bill $34,474,921

16. Sajan

Sajan Member

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Got the 2nd pick!
    Congrats to the Rockets daddy!
    Congrats to Rockets Front Office legend Gersson Rosas!

ODDS
    14. Grizzlies (0.5%)
    13. Pelicans (1.2%)
    12. Kings (1.3%)
    11. Spurs (2%)
    10. Suns (3%)
    9. Wizards (4.5%)
    8. Hornets (6%)
    7. Bulls (7.5%)
    6. Knicks (9%)
    5. Pistons (10.5%)
    4. Hawks (12.5%)
    3. Timberwolves (14%)
    2. Cavs (14%)
    1. Warriors (14%)

ACTUAL ORDER
    14. Boston (via Memphis)
    13. Pelicans
    12. Kings
    11. Spurs
    10. Suns
    9. Wizards
    8. Knicks
    7. Pistons
    6. Hawks
    5. Cavs
    4. Bulls
    3. Hornets
    2. Warriors
    1. Timberwolves

18. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Wolves about to waste another 1st overall pick with mediocrity.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

Warriors To Use Lottery Pick In Trade Talks

The Golden State Warriors will pursue trade scenarios no matter where their draft pick lands, Bob Myers tells ESPN's Adrian Wojnarowski.

The Warriors are attempting to maximize their title window and a trade of the pick would likely help more than a young player.

20. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Warriors will be back to being contenders next year.

J.R. likes this.