1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO Series] Watchmen

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Beezy

Beezy Member

Yeah, he's the boy that's inspired by the Bass Reeves movie and goes on to become a costumed hero. Batman-like.

2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

It's been a little meh for me so far probably because I'm not a big super hero genre fan, but it seems to be going somewhere deeper, so I'm going to hang in a little longer. The cops rampaging through Nixonville mirrored the Tulsa massacre in the first episode to a degree which was interesting. My guess is there is a big brother group playing both sides against each other for some reason. We have the evil right white supremacists and we will at some point be introduced to a radical left being evil to justify a grand goal (climate change, population control, etc)

3. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thinking about the hints they've been dropping and some stuff I just now read on "Peteypedia", I'm convinced...

...that Judd is still alive and the body they found hanging in the tree was a clone.

bobloblaw likes this.
  4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Saw 1/2 an episode meh

5. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

This show makes zero sense at all. I guess you had to read the comic, but I’m probably out. The show is well made and the acting is good, but the storytelling is all over the place.

6. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Yeah, if you haven’t read the book, you’re probably gonna have a bad time. If you like comics, read it. Otherwise, well, the Righteous Gemstones is pretty good.

7. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Hell of a start and after the last episode, all in. Yes, IMO knowing (and being a fan) of the original does make a difference and help it all make sense

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yep, I've read a lot of people who haven't read the comic confused by what's going on but if you have or even seen the movie it really good, IMO.....

whiskeyred likes this.
  9. whiskeyred

This is a nice recap of the original comic series but it by no means does it full justice - but if you wanna just get your feet under you this is a nice summary

TexasTofu, dmoneybangbang and jcf like this.
  10. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Same here, but I watched all of episode 1. I really liked the movie, but this seems nothing like it, at all. It's like they just put in a story and labeled it 'Watchmen' to get people interested in it. There is some stuff like the masks and the owl plane or whatever that just made some random appearance...but overall it's just...weird and not like "Watchmen".

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  11. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

exactly, it was just so far from what watchmen is I was like **** thsi

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Lindleloff magic. Who wants to get Lost?

13. whiskeyred

I’d suggest at least getting to episode 3

bobloblaw and DreamShook like this.
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I understand that a lot of people just aren't into it, but this is very clearly not some elaborate ruse to trick you into watching half an episode of an unrelated show. Every single bit of marketing they've done should have made that obvious.

I don't see how you could not realize that if you watched any marketing at all besides just seeing the shows name on your TV and clicking on it.

GRENDEL and bobloblaw like this.
  15. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

It’s extremely Watchmen-y. The show is constantly referencing the graphic novel, includes characters and quotes, and in my opinion matches the tone. It helps if you’re familiar with the comics but it’s not necessary.

It appears that the majority of complaints about the show are from conservatives who are triggered and feel like the show is attacking them. Of course they don’t phrase it that way. The show “strays too far from the graphic novel”, “there aren’t enough super heroes”, “liberal propaganda”, “not enough antiheroes and existentialism”, etc.

Not saying you feel that way but these people are missing a lot of the meaning of the show. It’s about the polarization with people on the far left and far right being villainous.

GRENDEL likes this.
  16. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I suppose. I guess I'm not really getting it then...it just seems boring. I don't think I'm the only one that's a non conservative that doesn't like it thou...viewers have dropped every week and the audience score is in the low 40% (maybe only conservatives voted? who knows). If they made this for only the fanboys then I doubt you'll see very many seasons after this one. Gotta appeal to a larger crowd these days...maybe they need dragons? LOL

17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Conservative are TRIGGERED by anything that shows their TRUE colors.

peleincubus likes this.
  18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

19. TexasTofu

TexasTofu Member

this was extremely help ful, thank you!

whiskeyred likes this.
  20. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Obviously, the squid existed in this Watchmen universe, but I don't think I actually expected to see it. Episode 5 intro was awesome.

[​IMG]

GRENDEL and DreamShook like this.