1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I would be really pleased to pick up Ariza, but I have a feeling he would prefer to not return to Houston, and in a buyout would choose another contender over us, given the choice. But you never know.

2. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Don’t they always choose LA?

If the Clips or Lakers called him after a buyout, hasty la vista.

Relativist likes this.
  3. Sen89

Sen89 Member

It wouldn't be the sexiest trade ever, but I think it'd be relatively easy to steal DeMarre Carroll from the Spurs, unless they have a "don't-trade-with-Houston" policy. He's barely playing there, as they have a few too many guys, many of whom are young and deserve minutes over their veteran role players like Carroll. I think flipping him for our 2nd round pick would help both sides.

He might be 33, but he's been a consistent performer over the past 5 years, and has never been a guy who relies on athleticism. Rather, he's a capable shooter and defender (not excellent in either area) but has ideal Combo-Forward size in today's game, at 6'8" 225ish. We don't have anyone like him in our rotation, which is incredibly small outside of our Cs. And since we're bound to play against the likes of LeBron, Kawhi and Paul George in the playoffs, having several options to throw at them (especially vets) is invaluable.

Playoff Rotation
    C.Capela [6'11"]
    P.Tucker [6'5"]
    D.House [6'7"]
    J.Harden [6'5"]
    R.Westbrook [6'4"]
    -
    E.Gordon [6'3"]
    A.Rivers [6'4"]
    T.Chandler [7'1"]
    D.Carroll [6'8"]

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's a big problem though ;) i have a difficult time seeing the Spurs make a trade to help us since they wouldn't even get anything valuable back (unless they really like Hartenstein which is actually possible).

The Spurs are a team i expect to make a trade though, they have a ton of young guards and some aging veterans, Derozan expiring...the team overall looks really average at this point and i can see them making some moves to shake up the roster.

5. Le$$

Le$$ Member

We need some euro players to spice things up. Clint Capela is a coveted center, and i think Sacramento would love a center to build around Bagley, Fox, and Buddy.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=v5fk9qc

Rockets Get Shooters, who can space the floor. Turns Bjelica to a 3PT Spacing center. Lets Tucker and Westbrook rebound on the fly.

6. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

It's not loading for me.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I don't get the fascination of a 3 point shooting center .... Not when what makes this offense go is the way Harden and Capela co-exist - that's what creates all the open 3's for the other guys on the court. That's what creates the spacing for Harden to be Harden.

The way I see it , we need a quality option at the 4 .... which allows you to play Tucker off the bench at both the 3 and 4 spots making this team infinitely deeper.

8. foggy94

foggy94 Member

It's mostly for Westbrook, so we can play 5 out with him. Harden thrives with Capela or with Tucker at 5. He doesn't need screens he can beat his man every time, sometimes he has 4 shooters around him, sometimes he has CC with the lob threat.

I agree another 4 is the main priority though. Cause then you could use Tucker as the primary backup 5 if you wanted to go small and have House and the mystery new player at 3/4, without having to play PJ 36 minutes a night.

Relativist likes this.
  9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Man these threads are depressing knowing we don’t have much in salary to trade let alone any assets we can afford to give up.

I don’t rag on Morey or Tilman like most but man would it have been sweet to have Knight’s contract and a first rounder.

Relativist and topfive like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I agree. It sure would. Blame Tilman.

topfive and luckyman76 like this.
  11. Vivi

Vivi Member

No worries, i'm sure future gm Patrick will come up with some magic :D

luckyman76 and Zoplicone like this.
  12. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

They may be skittish to trade with the Rockets again after gifting us Scola

Vivi likes this.
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Since when has WB ever had a 5 that could shoot 3's ?

He had Adams who was a tough guy in the paint that he'd dump the ball off to close to the rim and let him finish - much like Capela minus the lobs as Adams isn't the explosive jumper … and almost never took a shot outside the paint.

And playing 5 out …. there will be no spacing , Westbrook may as well be doubled from the outset as help defenders are too close.

I'm not against the idea of trading Capela , I just think that you have to bring back a similar type player along with your 3/4 primary target , otherwise you are breaking one thing to fix another.

And lets not forget about those teams with big frontlines …. PJ at the 5 aint gonna cut it.

jcmoon, D-rock and DrNuegebauer like this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I thought maybe Demarre Carroll would be a reasonable option seeing that he is not being used.

Unfortunately I was not aware he signed a three year contract with the first two being guaranteed. I don’t see us taking on a player like him if he’s going to be on the books next year.

15. Vivi

Vivi Member

Spurs are also not looking good and you never know...although i expect them to try to trade for CP3 at some point if it's not too late, they guaranteed the next season salary for Aldridge lately, Derozan just doesn't fit there and is a big 30M expiring contract, i can see an OKC-SA trade happening.

But like you said, i just don't see Tilman paying the tax for Carroll...and tbh, i wouldn't even blame him here.

#275 Vivi, Nov 18, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Zoplicone likes this.
  16. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

@BimaThug
    So Nene + McLemore would work for Jae Crowder? (x1.25 + 100k)

I don’t think the Grizz would have any interest in Clemons as incentive so it would have to be a first rounder attached, maybe a first and our best future second. Still a longshot another team wouldn’t beat our offer.

17. vator

vator Contributing Member

I’ve always thought that Marvin Williams on the Hornets would fit us perfectly at PF. Knows his role. Good 3 point shooter. Seems like his role this year on his team has decreased some. I wonder if he can be had.

Relativist and BMoney like this.
  18. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

Should we trade Gordon for a big like Ibaka?
    I love Gordon and im not sure de should trade him but we are playing well without him and he is not having a good year. Besides the Lakers are big.

19. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

That’s not enough salary for Crowder.

20. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Appreciate your responses by the way.

Right, totally screwed up the math there. Gary Clark’s contract would get us there. If you multiply those three by 1.25 and add 100k then it works. It would be a 3 for 1 but Clark should be easy to re-route to a third team.